70th Anniversay of Liberation by the Russians

When the commies were our allies back in World War II, they made a great humanitarian achievement in liberating a Nazi death camp.

Children of the Holocaust return to Auschwitz and pay tribute to those who saved them

In the last chaotic days of Nazi Germany, in a train transferring concentration camp prisoners to Dachau, a teenager hears the cries of babies.
At 14, William Glied has already lost his family. Emaciated and shivering with typhoid, he thinks he is delirious, for how could newborns be in such wretched conditions?
And yet, seven babies were born that spring because the Germans spared seven pregnant inmates.
Most survivors think such clemency came because the war was ending and the guards tried to cast themselves in a better light. But Mr. Glied wants to believe it happened because there was a glimmer of decency in the heart of a Nazi.
“I feel that human beings are by nature good, that they’re not evil. If I didn’t believe that, there is not much sense in human existence,” the 84-year-old said from his Toronto home.
Tuesday is the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the largest Nazi death camp, Auschwitz-Birkenau, where more than a million victims died in occupied Poland.
The youngest Holocaust survivors, children at the time, are now elderly. Despite their frail health, many have dedicated their later years to bearing witness to the tragedy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22646044/
When the commies were our allies back in World War II, they made a great humanitarian achievement in liberating a Nazi death camp.

Children of the Holocaust return to Auschwitz and pay tribute to those who saved them

In the last chaotic days of Nazi Germany, in a train transferring concentration camp prisoners to Dachau, a teenager hears the cries of babies.
At 14, William Glied has already lost his family. Emaciated and shivering with typhoid, he thinks he is delirious, for how could newborns be in such wretched conditions?
And yet, seven babies were born that spring because the Germans spared seven pregnant inmates.
Most survivors think such clemency came because the war was ending and the guards tried to cast themselves in a better light. But Mr. Glied wants to believe it happened because there was a glimmer of decency in the heart of a Nazi.
“I feel that human beings are by nature good, that they’re not evil. If I didn’t believe that, there is not much sense in human existence,” the 84-year-old said from his Toronto home.
Tuesday is the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the largest Nazi death camp, Auschwitz-Birkenau, where more than a million victims died in occupied Poland.
The youngest Holocaust survivors, children at the time, are now elderly. Despite their frail health, many have dedicated their later years to bearing witness to the tragedy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22646044/ Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
“For the dead and the living, we must bear witness.” ― Elie Wiesel
  • WTF
  • 01-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Let's see if I got this right, JL is praising Russia, moving to Israel and denouncing America.

On a serious note, I watched "Night Will Fall" last night on HBO. Interesting how the United States, Britain and other countries did not want the Holocaust survivors in their country. That was not the focus of the documentary btw...

http://www.timesofisrael.com/70-year...-footage-airs/
Wow , why were the countries against the survivors?
SL- Because the key western nations: (USA, Canada, GB), were so devastated financially after WWII, that they feared adding 1.3mm holocaust survivors to their already strained socio-economic base. Ultimately they showed that they are the countries that are the world's beacons of hope for freedom seekers, as most survivors including several of my relatives, were settled by the end of 1947. So today 70 years later, I have 2nd cousins in all 3 mentioned countries, plus Israel, as we the USA, would not let the survivors from my family, all 6 of them, immigrate here together. Today all is well, most of my relatives are in good health, and as is common amongst Jews, have acheived extraordinary successes in academia, business, family and most importantly in life. Thanks so much for your excellent question. NEVER AGAIN!
SL- Because the key western nations: (USA, Canada, GB), were so devastated financially after WWII, that they feared adding 1.3mm holocaust survivors to their already strained socio-economic base. Ultimately they showed that they are the countries that are the world's beacons of hope for freedom seekers, as most survivors including several of my relatives, were settled by the end of 1947. So today 70 years later, I have 2nd cousins in all 3 mentioned countries, plus Israel, as we the USA, would not let the survivors from my family, all 6 of them, immigrate here together. Today all is well, most of my relatives are in good health, and as is common amongst Jews, have achieved extraordinary successes in academia, business, family and most importantly in life. Thanks so much for your excellent question. NEVER AGAIN! Originally Posted by whatitiz13
+1
We had a few cousins survive. One, who survived Auschwitz, came to America. The others went to Israel.

NEVER AGAIN.