Some Body Needs To Explain To "Harvard Law Professor" President Obama How The Law Works.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...will-be-upheld

The Supreme Court is a third, and equal branch, of the government.

I think he wants to piss them off.
  • CJ7
  • 04-02-2012, 04:38 PM
that explains it

lol
CJ7 keep drinking that coolaid.
The Supreme Court is a third, and equal branch, of the government.

I think he wants to piss them off. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Jackie I guess you missed the part when the Republican candidates, Romney and Santorum said they would over turn any Supreme Court decision they didn't like if elected president.
Well, Big louie, they are as stupid as The President.

The only way you can defeat a Supreme Court Ruling is either re-do the law so the Court says it is Constitutional, or pass a Constitutional Amendment making the law in question part of the Constitution.

At least I think that is it.
Actually, if the Executive simply chose to ignore the Court's ruling, what could the Court do?
  • CJ7
  • 04-02-2012, 05:17 PM
CJ7 keep drinking that coolaid. Originally Posted by rodog44

when I responded there was no link

only a statement from Jackie saying the link didnt work

whats your excuse rodog?
  • CJ7
  • 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Actually, if the Executive simply chose to ignore the Court's ruling, what could the Court do? Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy

someone needs to look up Executive Order dont they COG ... its the Law.
COG, it has been done in the past, President Lincoln ignored Supremem Court Rulings during the War, President Roosevelt ignored many during his efforts to bring the Country out of the Depression.

I guess what is supposed to happen is if the President ignores the Supreme Court, the Congress brings articles of impeachment. Politics will get in the way of that.

This could be a senario much like Napolean faced when told that the Pope was very displeased with his actions. Napolean is said to have answered, "exactly how many divisions of artillery does the Pope command".
As much as I hope Obamacare is repealed, there really isn't anything in the Constitution that says the Supreme Court is the last word on constitutionality. The Court gave themselves that power in Marbury v Madison, which is a horrible case in which Justice Marshall should have recused himself. Much like Justice Kagan should recuse herself from the Obamacare decision.
CJ7, if a group brings a challenge to an Executive Order, and it makes it all the way to The Supremem Court, then they could rule on it.

In fact, EVERY law is a law untill some entity challenges it, and it does make it all the way to the Supremem Court.

Congress could pass a law saying that citizens could be shot on sight for saying President Obama was a teleprompter reading idiot, and the President could sign it, and untill someone challenged it, and it made it before the Court, we all better duck and hide.
We've reached that point, Jackie, it's called the NDAA of 2012.
The new Gallop Poll released today said in the swing vote areas that Obama is leading 51 to Romneys 42%..

They suspect this might have to do with the women in these states.

By the way Jackie I don't see anything wrong with what Obama had to say in that news article. What are your credentials if any on the matters of law?

I would definitely like to hear what some attorneys might think on this (if you are in fact an attorney).
  • Laz
  • 04-02-2012, 05:36 PM
The courts power is simply the publics will. If an executive chose to ignore the court I believe that the public would force congress to act and the presidents support would vanish. Since they all want to be reelected they will not take that chance.
  • CJ7
  • 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM
I only see opinions offered in the article, none of whch are new or profound. The legalease escapes me.

there was one case in 05 where a state passed a law and the SC ruled against it. The state ignored the ruling because the law had the publics support