High School Wrestler Refuses to Take on Girl

I'm not sure how to think about this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highs...ory?id=6131909

"DES MOINES, Iowa -- An Iowa high school wrestler who was one of the favorites to win his weight class defaulted on his first-round state tournament match rather than face one of the first girls to ever qualify for the event."

I support the kid's right to withdraw based on his personal philosophy. I also feel bad for the girls who still can't be treated as equals no matter what they do.

Opinions?

Do we just need to give Title IX another fews year (decades?) to work?

Cheers,
Mazo.
I actually don’t support female entrance in every sport just as I wouldn’t support male participation in every female sport. I know, what guy would want to, but as a hypothetical, I wouldn’t support male participation in ladies’ track. It’s just not a fair contest. There are several reasons I think wrestling should be a same sex sport: males are inherently stronger; the psychological effort to over come societal edicts that men don’t hit ladies; and three the extreme closeness that is inherent in wrestling.

It is a danger to even well conditioned females to grapple males because physical strength just isn’t equal. People can be injured beyond soft tissue damage in wrestling. It’s uncommon, but bones can be snapped during a wrestling match. Wrestling is simulated battle, and the contest is fairly brutal. I think there is a real danger that a male could injure a female beyond the normal wear and tear of wrestling. If he is holds back from fear of hurting her, it’s not fair to either contestant.

Rightly so, all boys are taught not to hit girls. Suddenly a young man is being put into a position where he is required, if he chooses to win, to body slam, twist, pull shove and force a female to the ground with her shoulders pinned. It just isn’t fair to him. He’s damed if he does, and he’s damed if he doesn’t.

Wrestling is an intense contact sport. I see such contact as distracting.

I applaud his decision if he forewent a chance to win a tournament because of his morals. I would be disappointed if he bowed out for chauvinistic reasons.

I’m all in favor of equal pay for equal work, but some things just aren’t equal. Men can’t have babies, and I can’t get an erection.

I thought Title IX was about equalizing spending between men’s and women’s sports programs.
Men should have male leagues, women have their female leagues. The sexs do not need to intermix.

I couldn't imagine playing a female team with my rugby club. Were all 220-270 pounds under 15% body fat, somethings just don't mix.
It’s a “lose – lose” situation for the boy. If he wins, the other boys will discount it because his challenger was female. If he loses, well the other guys will razz him to no end.
I don't know if ESPN is trying to blow smoke up all our asses but I read the link & came away impressed with everybody involved. The boy, the girl, and the girl's father had nothing but good things to say about each other. Another girl whom he refused to wrestle in a earlier tournament likewise was very complimentary to the kid.

He seems sincere in his beliefs that it's inappropriate for him to have that kind of close contact with a female. He's home schooled & a minister's son so...perhaps...his most sincere belief is not to rankle his parents but who knows what's in a kid's heart.

Wrestling practically is religion in Iowa. For the kid to pass on what was apparently a legitimate shot at the state title took some doing on his part.
His choice. And a mighty stupid one, if you ask me.
His choice. And a mighty stupid one, if you ask me. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
We mostly agree on stuff TTH, but "stupid"? Some things are more important than a state title; the kid decided his principles were more important.
Rightly so, all boys are taught not to hit girls. Suddenly a young man is being put into a position where he is required, if he chooses to win, to body slam, twist, pull shove and force a female to the ground with her shoulders pinned. It just isn’t fair to him. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
Here's where I can't see the distinction.

Why is OK for boys to slam, twist, shove, and hit other boys in a wrestling match but not other girls?

How is physical violence wrong when used against one sex but not the other?

I think people's gut on this says one thing but logic says another.

Cheers,
Mazo.
I don't know if ESPN is trying to blow smoke up all our asses but I read the link & came away impressed with everybody involved. The boy, the girl, and the girl's father had nothing but good things to say about each other. Originally Posted by Sisyphus
I agree. My general experience with Iowans is that they're the most level-headed folks in the country.

I've never heard somebody from Iowa talking trash about anybody except for people from Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, and Ohio and only then during football season.

Cheers,
Mazo.
I'm not sure what I would do if I were in his position -- but one thing I am pretty sure of is that I would be damned uncomfortable with the whole idea.

I still think there should be separate leagues for boys and girls, but then maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned!
[quote=Mazomaniac;1037838]Here's where I can't see the distinction.

Why is OK for boys to slam, twist, shove, and hit other boys in a wrestling match but not other girls?

How is physical violence wrong when used against one sex but not the other?

I think people's gut on this says one thing but logic says another.

Cheers,
Mazo.[/quote

Because that’s what they are there for: to engage in that specific sport with similarly trained and sized and males. I was addressing the psychological aspects. It is ingrained in boys from childhood not to hit girls. Now, all of a sudden that same boy is being asked to perpetuate simulated violence against a girl. We are in agreement, I assume, when I say I don’t think that anyone should be physically violent to anyone. This is sport; it’s different. But it is a sport that has its history in Ancient Greece as simulated battle in preparation.
  • oden
  • 02-17-2011, 06:12 PM
It is wrong for men or boys to hurt women or girls. Why is that so hard to understand. I think most rational people would not like to "break the seal" on this one.
I agree. My general experience with Iowans is that they're the most level-headed folks in the country.

I've never heard somebody from Iowa talking trash about anybody except for people from Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, and Ohio and only then during football season.

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
It's a generalization...so it's wrong about somebody from jump but...

That's been the sum of my interaction with those from the mid-West. They're competitive...they don't like to lose. They sure as hell don't like losing to each other. But, they seem to be able to keep it all in perspective at the end of the day.

The people in this story seem to be able to disagree with each other w/o questioning each other's motivation. I, for one, found that damn refreshing!!
I'm not sure what I would do if I were in his position -- but one thing I am pretty sure of is that I would be damned uncomfortable with the whole idea. Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
The kid's a sophomore. It will be interesting to see what happens if he continues to improve. Should he be the definitive favorite to win as a junior or senior & draw a girl again...the internal conflict level goes up exponentially...
We mostly agree on stuff TTH, but "stupid"? Some things are more important than a state title; the kid decided his principles were more important. Originally Posted by discreetgent
TTH is a lawyer. You are going to have to explain that term -- "principles".