your thoughts on this?

I am a Yankee who was transplanted to the south and I see the Confederate Flag in certain areas alot as well as the American flag. So I am missing the big deal on this article...Especially when he explains the flag represents "southern rock 'n' roll" to him

Some NAACP supporters plan to boycott the Detroit arm's annual fundraiser over an honor for Kid Rock they say doesn't mesh with the civil rights group's goals.
The rocker is set to receive the Detroit branch's Great Expectations Award at the annual dinner, which typically attracts about 10,000 people, on May 1 at Cobo Center.
But Adolph Mongo, a longtime political consultant and head of Detroiters for Progress, said he and others will sit out over Kid Rock's use of the controversial Confederate flag during performances.
"It's a slap in the face for anyone who fought for civil rights in this country," Mongo said Thursday. "It's a symbol of hatred and bigotry."
NAACP officials defended the honor.
"Kid Rock ... has consistently lifted up the Great Expectations of many persons … concerning the future of the city," Donnell R. White, interim executive director of the Detroit Branch NAACP, said in a statement.
Kid Rock and his representatives couldn't be reached. But in a 2008 interview with the Guardian in Britain, he said the flag to him represents southern rock 'n' roll.
Good luck on rhis and Happy Mardi Gras
My thought is....this subject usually causes a board explosion.
I apologize. I didn't understand your reply
Good luck on rhis and Happy Mardi Gras Originally Posted by ashwednesday666
Did I post a taboo topic?
My thought is....this subject usually causes a board explosion. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Charles means that the issue of the confederate flag has been raised in this forum before and tends to be a combustible issue.

One example: http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...ht=confederate

Not a taboo topic but one that may engender passionate debate - similar to threads about NPOA or the definition of an HDH.

Seems interesting to me that the flag means so many different things to so many people that is impossible today to figure out what it really represents any more.
Uh oh...I saw the article and didn't realize posting it here had been done before or nor did I mean to start a thread to stir people up...I will ask to close it
Charles means that the issue of the confederate flag has been raised in this forum before and tends to be a combustible issue.

Not a taboo topic but one that may engender passionate debate - similar to threads about NPOA or the definition of an HDH.

Seems interesting to me that the flag means so many different things to so many people that is impossible today to figure out what it really represents any more. Originally Posted by discreetgent

Seems interesting to me that the flag means so many different things to so many people that is impossible today to figure out what it really represents any more. Originally Posted by discreetgent
So, heated discord on this board isn’t a recent anomaly.
I am a Yankee who was transplanted to the south and I see the Confederate Flag in certain areas alot as well as the American flag. So I am missing the big deal on this article...Especially when he explains the flag represents "southern rock 'n' roll" to him

Some NAACP supporters plan to boycott the Detroit arm's annual fundraiser over an honor for Kid Rock they say doesn't mesh with the civil rights group's goals.
The rocker is set to receive the Detroit branch's Great Expectations Award at the annual dinner, which typically attracts about 10,000 people, on May 1 at Cobo Center.
But Adolph Mongo, a longtime political consultant and head of Detroiters for Progress, said he and others will sit out over Kid Rock's use of the controversial Confederate flag during performances.
"It's a slap in the face for anyone who fought for civil rights in this country," Mongo said Thursday. "It's a symbol of hatred and bigotry."
NAACP officials defended the honor.
"Kid Rock ... has consistently lifted up the Great Expectations of many persons … concerning the future of the city," Donnell R. White, interim executive director of the Detroit Branch NAACP, said in a statement.
Kid Rock and his representatives couldn't be reached. But in a 2008 interview with the Guardian in Britain, he said the flag to him represents southern rock 'n' roll. Originally Posted by Irish Vixen

Some rock bands from the south have used the Confederate flag in their logos, album artwork and on stage. Lynyrd Skynyrd and Georgia Satellites for example.
Uh oh...I saw the article and didn't realize posting it here had been done before or nor did I mean to start a thread to stir people up...I will ask to close it Originally Posted by Irish Vixen
My dearest Irish Vixen, shall I close this thread?
I hate Kid Rock...even more now, that he is Kid Country!
I hate Kid Rock...even more now, that he is Kid Country! Originally Posted by London Rayne
Same here. barf.
Per OP request.