Mr. 10%

Any of you in the decision making part of the business world must know at least one of these guys. Consultants and freelancers know them well.

The guy who doesn't really do anything, is at a lot of business lunches, never picks up the bill, knows a lot of people and gets 10% of anything that happens around him.

They can be handy, a skilled one knows when to bring the right people together, solving one or both peoples problems, or furthering their project. The worst of them are like serpents though, almost like business logic pick-pocketers, sometimes obnoxious in their bizarre rationale as to why someone should give them a small cut. Give him a lawyer with an ambulance chasing philosophy, and the only one making any money is your lawyer.
knows when to bring the right people together, solving one or both peoples problems, or furthering their project.
I can do this successfully since my personality is such that I'm attuned to people's needs, especially those around me. I never take a cut of the action. It's always done gratuitously.
Funny you mention that as I am a freelancer myself and know these people you speak of well. Since I am responsible for myself and my level of success determines whether I eat or not I have always believe the greatest sin is that of indecision. I can fix a bad decision but can do nothing about indecision and that is what your category of person is selling.

I am also something of a facilitator myself and like building relationships with people and networking those same people in ways they might not have seen themselves. Often it is helpful to be outside and looking in at how opportunities and people can come together for mutual benefit. Have had quite a few successes in introducing the right people together in business where the connection wasn't apparent to them but me being on the outside could see the forest for the trees.