14 Gold medals - Who cares, we got Hockey Gold

No one in Toronto is talking about the 14 Gold medals Canada won. In fact, I think if we had the choice of 13 gold medals, or 1 Gold Hockey medal - we'd give them all up.

From the Toronto Sun:

We win. Now get a grip, Canada.

Canadian athletes won a record 14 gold medals in Vancouver but the only ones anyone is talking about today are those hanging around the necks of Sidney Crosby and Co.

Pity.

Not to take anything away from the glorious victory of our hockey team.
They faced adversity, kicked it in the shin, and made a nation proud. But, as a country we really do have a one-track mind.

As the Wall Street Journal noted: “The nation of 34 million fanatics is on top of the hockey world today thanks to (Sidney) Crosby’s magic, and all is well in the Great White North.”

All that matters

There is suspicion that had Crosby not slipped that puck through Ryan Miller’s legs, the past three weeks would’ve been remembered with a shrug because all that really matters to the populace is hockey. A democratic vote would’ve traded every one of the 13 other gold medals for that one produced by Crosby.
  • oden
  • 03-01-2010, 09:51 PM
So it's one and one with your win in overtime. Want to play again?
Bring it on!
Frankly, I am still in utter shock from seeing William Shatner appear in the final ceremonies.
Canada got the gold medal in hockey?!?!?!

We've got you on aggregate (7-6) & away goals (5-3)

What's up with that???

What's up with that??? Originally Posted by Sisyphus
Accidents happen?
No one in Toronto is talking about the 14 Gold medals Canada won. In fact, I think if we had the choice of 13 gold medals, or 1 Gold Hockey medal - we'd give them all up. Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
The woman who won Woman's Moguls did an awesome job to win her gold. I watched it all. And not because I'm a horn dog/floozy. Fantastic skiing, she kicked butt.
Ouch,

First, my beloved Redhawks miss out being champs of the Frozen Four in the final seconds last year, and now Ryan Miller let's the puck slip in so slightly after a pretty awesome Olympic run.

Even though I am sad, it was one of the greatest matches I have ever seen.

Congrat's to the Molsen crowd.

Sort of like saying you won a baseball game because you had better stats, or a footbal game based on time of possession

Scoreboard counts!

Sort of like saying you won a baseball game because you had better stats, or a footbal game based on time of possession

Scoreboard counts! Originally Posted by terbul
Sisyphus is describing how they decide major events in some tournaments in a game called soccer. Wouldn't worry about that method soiling a sport like hockey.
Sisyphus is describing how they decide major events in some tournaments in a game called soccer. Wouldn't worry about that method soiling a sport like hockey. Originally Posted by discreetgent
I understand, many football events are settled that way in a home and away format.

I thought most sports worked within there own rules.

Should the world series be on agregate?
I understand, many football events are settled that way in a home and away format.

I thought most sports worked within there own rules.

Should the world series be on agregate? Originally Posted by terbul
No; I don't think anything should be settled that way. If the gold medal game had gone to a shootout I would not have liked it. Keep on playing like they do in the Stanley Cup playoffs, extra innings in baseball, etc
As a loyal U.S. citizen, and one who rooted for the U.S. team looking for the second Miracle on Ice...my sincerest congratulations to the Canadian Hockey Team on winning gold and to the Canadian people, also.
Am I the only one thinking a best of seven between those two teams would be amazing??
From a person who wonders why anyone below the border would care about fisticuffs on ice, Congratulations Canada. Enjoy your victory.
Now I'll get back to my Manhattan Up and drown my sorrow.