JFK reconstruction...should I fly in elsewhere?

UGH.
So I just thought I was saving money by booking a flight into JFK over LGA or even EWR. As soon I purchased the ticket, I was redirected to a press release about the reconstruction at JFK and how to be prepared for extended amounts of time on the runway.

Does anybody have any idea as to when this is actually taking place? One part of the article states it will begin in June of 2010, another states it will take place THROUGH June 2010.

My flight arrives in a few weeks so I'm not sure what to expect but I'll be very upset if I'm sitting there on an unfamiliar airline for extended amounts of time It's not too late to switch my flight and use this ticket at a later date (of course, with the 100$ fee!)

Worried,
Lynette
The main runway at JFK was closed beginning March 1st for about months.
What DG said -- this started Monday -- I'm always prepared for long delays on a runway in any of the 3 airports there, regardless -- Not sure when you are flying but I'd work under the assumption that things will get better; not worse & hold steady for now (but continue to monitor the situation). It is worth noting some of this was weather related.
Seems there could be other problems at JFK.

What if a couple of people in the control tower decide to have a "take your kid to work day" coinciding with your arrival or departure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeVl1FKS1ZA
The NY Times had this story months ago (why didn't the other media pick up on it then?). Supposedly, it will be a four or so month project with it occurring during the summer travel months. yes, it will create delays but if you travel smartly you can work around most of it. But the TV was ranting about it 'cause it means ratings. sigh.

Lynette, is it too late to re-route to LGA or Newark? But since you are traveling sooner than later I don't think you'll see any real difference unless weather comes into play, but that could muck things up anyway. Didja need a ride from the airport? I'd be happy to pick you up.
Didja need a ride from the airport? I'd be happy to pick you up. Originally Posted by SR Only
All heart.
Seems there could be other problems at JFK.

What if a couple of people in the control tower decide to have a "take your kid to work day" coinciding with your arrival or departure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeVl1FKS1ZA Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
That wasn't as big a ( safety) deal as it sounds. But dumb.

EWR and PHL always had the potential for delays in my experience.
I don't think there is much of a delay. My friend landed at JFK at 6 pm yesterday and he made it for dinner in West Village at 7:30. He even had enough time to pick up chocolates on his way. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I don't think there is much of a delay. My friend landed at JFK at 6 pm yesterday and he made it for dinner in West Village at 7:30. He even had enough time to pick up chocolates on his way. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Originally Posted by Lovely Victoria
Seriously I wouldn't sweat it....you are flying in once...if you change you have change fees...and likely get delayed there anyway...

I mean if you were flying in/out every week for months, maybe I'd fret about it, but just roll with the punches on this one
UGH.
So I just thought I was saving money by booking a flight into JFK over LGA or even EWR. As soon I purchased the ticket, I was redirected to a press release about the reconstruction at JFK and how to be prepared for extended amounts of time on the runway.

Does anybody have any idea as to when this is actually taking place? One part of the article states it will begin in June of 2010, another states it will take place THROUGH June 2010.

My flight arrives in a few weeks so I'm not sure what to expect but I'll be very upset if I'm sitting there on an unfamiliar airline for extended amounts of time It's not too late to switch my flight and use this ticket at a later date (of course, with the 100$ fee!)

Worried,
Lynette Originally Posted by LynetteMarie
My choice would be to fly into DC. From there you can take the train (UGH!) to NYC, or there is a fairly nice bus from downtown DC to Manhattan for $1 (if you take the right bus) or about $45 otherwise. Go to www.boltbus.com. Downside is the trip is about 4 hours. Upside is the bus is clean and somewhat comfortable.
My choice would be to fly into DC. From there you can take the train (UGH!) to NYC, or there is a fairly nice bus from downtown DC to Manhattan for $1 (if you take the right bus) or about $45 otherwise. Go to www.boltbus.com. Downside is the trip is about 4 hours. Upside is the bus is clean and somewhat comfortable. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Amtrak (Amtruck) is horrible. Cattle to slaughter have it easier. Better to deal with any possible delays at JFK. I do not see any of the lovely ladies here on a Bolt Bus. Again, I'd be happy to offer a ride rather than let anyone on Bolt (Diamond or Tux).