New Internet Laws in Texas

Just wanted to share some of my findings when I was reading up on all the new laws that went into effect Sept 1 2017. Some of these will directly affect us.

Court Orders for Internet Companies – Expedite List Expanded
S.B. 1203 expands the list of entities covered by the expedited compliance required of internet service provides in responding to a subpoena, search warrant, and other court orders. The list now includes an “Internet service provider, search engine, web hosting company, web browsing company, manufacturer of devices providing online application platforms, or company providing online social media platforms.”42 In addition, the cases in which expedited compliance is now expanded to include Continuous Sexual Abuse of Young Child or Children, Indecency with a Child, Sexual Assault, Aggravated Sexual Assault, any human trafficking offense under Penal Code Chapter 20A and any prostitution offense under Chapter 43.43
Did they make it more illegal?
Did they make it more illegal? Originally Posted by Gotyour6
No you just have to be more careful. Assume you are their only point of focus and you'll be fine ... Paranoid but free
Did they make it more illegal? Originally Posted by Gotyour6
Not more illegal, but way easier to catch, imho
Not more illegal, but way easier to catch, imho Originally Posted by honeydavis
And here's one .... to add to the list.

No texting, emailing, or digital work on our phone while operating a motor vehicle... state wide. So now you have to find a space to park if you want to use the "keyboard" on your phone.

Oh ... if there is probable cause you were violating the law ...

your phone is evidence of the violation and the messaging and texting inside ... gps searches .... anything using the keyboard.
Scary AF.....

No texting, emailing, or digital work on our phone while operating a motor vehicle... state wide. So now you have to find a space to park if you want to use the "keyboard" on your phone.

your phone is evidence of the violation and the messaging and texting inside ... gps searches .... anything using the keyboard. Originally Posted by LexusLover
It's not paranoia when they are out to get you!

your phone is evidence of the violation and the messaging and texting inside ... gps searches .... anything using the keyboard. Originally Posted by LexusLover
And do NOT use your fingerprint or, if you are Apple crazy enough to spring for the iPhone X, the new facial recognition technology to lock and unlock your phone or any apps containing any sensitive data.

You should lock your phone and apps with sensitive data using 6 digit or longer numeric (or alphanumeric, if your phone or app allows for it) codes that you memorize). Under current case law, making you input such a code is considered self-incrimination and is therefore not allowed under the Fifth Amendment. But making you use your thumbprint or face to unlock something is not treated the same way and is not considered self-incrimination and you can be compelled to put your thumb on the phone to unlock it or an app.
As for fingerprint or facial recognition, Apple is supposed to add a “distress” feature at some point that allows you to disable face/fingerprint recognition after pressing the Home/Power button X number of times quickly. Examples for use of this would be people crossing the border legally who are being asked to input credentials to access social media, or police search/seizures.
As for fingerprint or facial recognition, Apple is supposed to add a “distress” feature at some point that allows you to disable face/fingerprint recognition after pressing the Home/Power button X number of times quickly. Examples for use of this would be people crossing the border legally who are being asked to input credentials to access social media, or police search/seizures. Originally Posted by 7071949597
Thank you for that nugget of info! I checked and that feature actually exists already . . . see the info on MacRumors at the following page:
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/dis...ace-id-ios-11/

Myself, I don't trust myself enough to follow those instructions and hit it the right number of times and do all that. I'm sticking to the numeric code. I suppose I might try that and practice it sometime if I ever get around to it.
Just wanted to share some of my findings when I was reading up on all the new laws that went into effect Sept 1 2017. Some of these will directly affect us.

Court Orders for Internet Companies – Expedite List Expanded
S.B. 1203 expands the list of entities covered by the expedited compliance required of internet service provides in responding to a subpoena, search warrant, and other court orders. The list now includes an “Internet service provider, search engine, web hosting company, web browsing company, manufacturer of devices providing online application platforms, or company providing online social media platforms.”42 In addition, the cases in which expedited compliance is now expanded to include Continuous Sexual Abuse of Young Child or Children, Indecency with a Child, Sexual Assault, Aggravated Sexual Assault, any human trafficking offense under Penal Code Chapter 20A and any prostitution offense under Chapter 43.43 Originally Posted by honeydavis
Promoting prostitution is illegal on verification sites.social media.and adult websites.Twitter..Companion or sex worker exchange money for services prostitution
Not more illegal, but way easier to catch, imho Originally Posted by honeydavis
...and not even so much easier to catch, but easier to prosecute.
https://nordvpn.com/ Originally Posted by guy fawkes
I signed up for NordVPN about 2 weeks ago and I hate it. It takes forever to sync and it's slow. I used to use PIA. When my 1 month sub is up I'm going back to them.