'Calexit' question.

Just curious.

Just a few years ago, Texans were made massive fun of by the left for even mentioning leaving the union. Why aren't they saying the same about California today?

It's kinda like horse shit in the garage... You don't see much of it anymore.
Just curious.

Just a few years ago, Texans were made massive fun of by the left for even mentioning leaving the union. Why aren't they saying the same about California today?

It's kinda like horse shit in the garage... You don't see much of it anymore. Originally Posted by gfejunkie
Because it doesn't mean shit to them if California leaves!

As long as they can sneak voters into the other 49 states they're ok with Californicators separating.
You know, if California exits, LLiarMan will be without a sports team to root for.

The usual double standard, if it isn't already a triple standard.
The usual double standard, if it isn't already a triple standard. Originally Posted by gnadfly
AssUp doesn't have any standards to double or triple!
Historically speaking, there are few ways that a State can successfully secede from the Union.

Supreme Court Justice Antony Scalia summed it up in a few simple words, to paraphrase...."the Civil War answered that question". Yes you can secede, but then, you will have to face the power of the United States Military to make the secession permanent.

Of course, people will say that the Civil War does not reflect the attitudes of today's World. We certainly would not resort to military violence to keep a State from leaving the Union. A diplomatic solution would certainly be in order. Right?

I say not. Whether it's Texas, California, or any combination of States, if you decide to leave, you have every right to do just that.......After you win the War.
Historically speaking, there are few ways that a State can successfully secede from the Union.

Supreme Court Justice Antony Scalia summed it up in a few simple words, to paraphrase...."the Civil War answered that question". Yes you can secede, but then, you will have to face the power of the United States Military to make the secession permanent.

Of course, people will say that the Civil War does not reflect the attitudes of today's World. We certainly would not resort to military violence to keep a State from leaving the Union. A diplomatic solution would certainly be in order. Right?

I say not. Whether it's Texas, California, or any combination of States, if you decide to leave, you have every right to do just that.......After you win the War. Originally Posted by Jackie S
you can always ask to leave instead of a war. something the south failed to do.
you can always ask to leave instead of a war. something the south failed to do. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
The problem arises when the answer is "No".
To respond to OP's statement, I think the reason you don't hear about it anymore is because they're smart enough to figure out that if they seriously wanted it, the red carpet would be rolled out, documents would be drawn up to be signed, legislation would be quickly ramrodded into passage, and a Trump Presidential order quickly approving it would all happen in the blink of an eye .....just make sure that once they're out, they stay out, you can't beg your way back in ..... oh and be absolutely sure you take those electoral votes with you when you leave ..... and therein lies a major roadblock to this ever happening ..... could you see any future Dimocrat candidate winning the Presidency without all those "empty barrels" voting to add those electoral votes to their totals? .....
If I remember my history lessons I believe Texas, since it was a Republic, can legally secede and is the only state that can secede.
To respond to OP's statement, I think the reason you don't hear about it anymore is because they're smart enough to figure out that if they seriously wanted it, the red carpet would be rolled out, documents would be drawn up to be signed, legislation would be quickly ramrodded into passage, and a Trump Presidential order quickly approving it would all happen in the blink of an eye .....just make sure that once they're out, they stay out, you can't beg your way back in ..... oh and be absolutely sure you take those electoral votes with you when you leave ..... and therein lies a major roadblock to this ever happening ..... could you see any future Dimocrat candidate winning the Presidency without all those "empty barrels" voting to add those electoral votes to their totals? ..... Originally Posted by 00 gauge
Delusional
If I remember my history lessons I believe Texas, since it was a Republic, can legally secede and is the only state that can secede. Originally Posted by pyramider
That was before the Civil War.

Since Texas seceded from the Union and joined the Confederate States of America, came back into the Union as part of a defeated Country.

The slate was wiped clean.
Just curious.

Just a few years ago, Texans were made massive fun of by the left for even mentioning leaving the union. Why aren't they saying the same about California today? Originally Posted by gfejunkie
Cause when the right does it, the left screams bloody murder. When the left does the same thing, it's "All good"..

Personally i am all FOR Them exiting.
1) Cut off any and all federal funds going there. If they are not part of the union anymore, they shouldn't BENEFIT financially from it.
2) Do the same to all their ID's and US Passports
3) Shut down all Mil bases/FBI facilities, pull the troops out.
4) Pull out all border agents from Cal ports/border crossings.. PUT THEM On every road leading into/out of CA
5) Get rid of all 55 members of the house and both senators from CA..

you can always ask to leave instead of a war. something the south failed to do. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
They shouldn't have to go through a war to leave..
That was before the Civil War.

Since Texas seceded from the Union and joined the Confederate States of America, came back into the Union as part of a defeated Country.

The slate was wiped clean. Originally Posted by Jackie S
It was?

Should we start demolishing the Alamo and the San Jacinto Mounument?

They shouldn't have to go through a war to leave.. Originally Posted by garhkal
as someone responed to my comment on that, what happens if they (congress) say no.

personally a war is not worth it.

this thing is playing out in Spain & catalonia over the separation issue.