Toddlers and Tiaras?

A new The Learning Channel reality show that takes a look at 5-6 yo beauty pageants. The pre-view is kind of creepy. It shows the behind the scenes look and the parents don't come off well. Think of the kind of tantrum a spoiled teen diva could deliver then remove all forms of self-control you might expect from an "out-of-control" ("Whatever, I do what I want!") teen. A scream at a pitch that would shatter pre-1973 TV Screen.

They make-up these little girls to look as mature as possible.

Maybe creepy isn't the word for it but "uncomfortable" comes closer than most others.

I did the Dance contest "circuit" with my daughter. These were contests that had a bunch of girls who loved to dance competing in traveling contests. Entry costs were low, the girls had the spirit of competition without the pressure of success or die, and not realizing it, the blessing of not having anything other than a love for dancing and an average set of physical abilities. Ringers had no interest in this league.

She loved going to school. She still loves dancing. And she passed her Bars a few months ago.

My point is helping the kids to do what they want is one thing, adults who try to live through their kids is another. This seems excessive.
One of these shows actually showed a kid getting a botox treatment. Girl wasn't 10 yet, but her mother was afraid she already suffering from wrinkles.

Excessive? How about child abuse? How about FUCKING SICK!
I've seen the ads for it..... seems uber fucked up to me.....
  • ztonk
  • 06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm closing this thread per this guideline:
#10 - Topics regarding children, and certain images depicting children are not material for an adult-themed board. You must be at least 18 years of age to register and participate here, and along those lines, our subject matter is to surround individuals of the proper age range. Any mention or reference to underage sex is strictly forbidden and may result in loss of your posting privileges.
It is just too easy for this one to go off into the weeds...

ztonk
AustinModStaff