Question about hotel room key n elevators

Are there any hotels in Vegas that you don’t have to have a room key to get on an elevator? That is kinda important. Thank y’all !!
Typically your lower end hotels on the strip do not require a key to operate the elevators. But all may, when busy, require a key to get past security.

Harrahs
Horseshoe (formerly Ballys)
Rio
NY NY
Luxor
Planet Hollywood
MGM (this depends on the room type)

Places like that don't have key access inside the elevator. But security may perform key checks to get to room towers.

Bellagio
Aria
Cosmo
Venetian
Wynn

These all require keys to enable elevators to access your floor.

Off strip typically does not require key nor do they have security checking keys.
I've stayed at NYNY many times & their elevators have required a room key for many years.
I've stayed at NYNY many times & their elevators have required a room key for many years. Originally Posted by vegasbaby7
Does the elevator only move if you insert a room key or is it simply security checking keys?
Does the elevator only move if you insert a room key or is it simply security checking keys? Originally Posted by Boltfan
No security, there is a pad you have to place your room key flat against. I'm guessing if you got in the elevator with someone that used their room key you could push multiple floors/ask them to push floor ## please, but I've not tried that.
Good to know. Thanks
Good to know. Thanks Originally Posted by Boltfan
You're welcome
No security, there is a pad you have to place your room key flat against. I'm guessing if you got in the elevator with someone that used their room key you could push multiple floors/ask them to push floor ## please, but I've not tried that. Originally Posted by vegasbaby7
Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. I've been in them at Bellagio and ARIA that you have to have key for every floor pushed. Also if you get in the wrong elevator bank for your floor, the key will not work... BTDT
  • fly
  • 01-08-2023, 06:40 PM
I am currently at the Cosmopolitan and did not need my key for the elevator.
I am currently at the Cosmopolitan and did not need my key for the elevator. Originally Posted by fly
I have stayed at the Cosmo multiple times per year since it opened in late 2010/early 2011. Probably 50 times all told in the last 12-13 years.

The elevators have never required a key.

While security can often be seen outside the elevator banks, I've never once been asked to show my key to get up to my room. I've never once had a provider claim that they've been harassed by security.

And...even if so...there are multiple levels at both towers in the Cosmo where the general public can access the elevators.

If you see a security officer (they usually wear blue jackets) by the elevator banks and you're wary of trying to get by them with a provider, just go up to the next level....chances are no one is there.
I am going to pin this thread to the top of the forum. Good information.
Hello,
Thank you for the information that really help me ! It will be my first time there, And I was curious about the hotels …

💋
Hello,
Thank you for the information that really help me ! It will be my first time there, And I was curious about the hotels …

💋 Originally Posted by Natabella
I was at Harrah's this week and...at least for the Valley Tower...you had to have a key inside the elevator.
This is an excellent thread as there's a lot of questions about the electric room keys and elevators, not just here in Vegas.
So here's my RW write as I used to work that bus.
All "new" larger hotels will have a card keyed elevator.
Yes it's for basic security. The hotel's insurance company is requiring it.
Older style was one key and several floors could be triggered.
Newer versions do require a key that matches each floor.
Again, insurance companies are requiring.
For older hotels, it's rather expensive to install that, as the elevator control systems have to be replaced in every cab and at the primary control. Elevator cabs do have a life cycle, not the frame, but the controls, lift cables, guide wheels, and interior are usually replaced/upgraded perhaps 10 to 15 yrs. This is the point that the new controls with readers would go in.
Anyway, get used to it.

Note that if a gal is in a place with this, she's well aware, and will tell you she will meet you at a specific location downstairs. If she doesn't realize this, she has a TCB problem. Btw, office buildings are are also getting this stuff. Again, insurance companies are requiring.