Christmas Eats

Do yall have any GREAT holiday recipes? I don't mean, the usual sugar cookies, or anything like that. But what u would call, a MUST HAVE SOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS, type recipe? I like egg nog and all that, but my granny used to make ambrosia with something in it that NOONE else could get to taste like hers. I guess we all have those grannys. I know I did. My mom could not even copy her in that area. My wife has googled ambrosia and made it several ways, (like, how many ways could you make ambrosia and it not taste good.) But granny's just had a better taste. She may have used a little rum or something. If she did, she never told anyone. Also, there is a local café here that has a great "Come Back Sause." They won't tell anyone their recipe for it. We've googled some recipe's of it as well. All are good, but we just can't seem to get ours to taste as good as theirs. Any of yall got any good recipes for "Come Back Sause" or any Holiday goodies that yall think the rest of us would enjoy? I'm sure the guys are not interested in this topic. But I LOVE fatening food. If you saw me, you'd agree.
Share some if you don't mind.
1. Get truck keys.
2. Drive to Pappy's BBQ
3. Order slab of ribs and whatever else you want.
4. Eat
5. Much holiday joy!
RL, I figured u had a recipe for a good steak marinade. I like a steak soaked in Dale's Seasoning for about a day, myself. And I do NOT want blood running out of it when I cut it up to eat, either. You let me bite into a steak or piece of chicken and see blood, I ain't puttn it in my mouth.
If you like ham, you'll love this. Buy one of those cheap store bought hams and put it on your smoker for 4-5 hours at 225 in a metal pan. Baste it with a OJ, mustard, cloves and brown sugar mix. Talk about fine
Comeback Sauce
2 cups mayo
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/3 medium onion grated
2 cloves garlic grated
2 dashes of worchachire
Salt Pepper
4 dashes hot sauce, I used Marie sharps Habenero made with carrots not Tomatos
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons horseradish
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 tablespoons honey mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 heaping tablespoon dark brown sugar
Mix all ingredients n let sit in fridge for a couple hours for everything to meld together
My Christmas ham recipe is so easy. I buy a cooked, spiral sliced ham, rub it down with brown sugar, stick cloves it it, pour a can of coke over the entire ham and throw it in the oven to bake. So simple and comes out tender and delicious every time. :-)
Wow, yall are making my mouth water, already. Funguy, I've never heard of basting with OJ. Now that's a new on one me. I'm gonna try the comeback recipe soon as I can get all those ingredience. I have a lot of them already. Thanks friends.
My Christmas ham recipe is so easy. I buy a cooked, spiral sliced ham, rub it down with brown sugar, stick cloves it it, pour a can of coke over the entire ham and throw it in the oven to bake. So simple and comes out tender and delicious every time. :-) Originally Posted by naughtyangel4u
That's exactly how I cook mine. Delicious!!
anything the DR tells me is bad for me is #1 on my wish list.
Brine for 24 to 30 hours. Don't stuff with bread stuffing. This just fucks up the cooking process. Do stuff with fresh herbs and 1 or 2 quartered apples to keep the inside moist.
Bake at 500° with foil covering the breast for 30 mins. This helps cook the dark meat while keeping the breast undercooked. Take off the foil and reduce heat to 300°. Bake for 1 and 1/2 hours or untill the deepest part of the breast is at 165° And DON'T open the oven to baste. Baste after you have removed it from the roasting pan. Let it rest for 1/2 hour covered in a loose fitting foil tent. It will finish cooking.
Take this time to make gravy with the drippings.

Craving the bird is an other matter. Start with the legs and wings. Remove them to a large plate. Remove the breast in one large piece. Place in a large bowl with drippings not used for gravy. Have a plate and craving knife and fork near by.
Pros juicy meat.
Cons all those dishes. Grand kids should be told santa watches who helps with the meal prep and clean up.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.
Just shows you know what's good, hehe.

That's exactly how I cook mine. Delicious!! Originally Posted by Easy Does It
I make the best damn devil eggs...southern style

Miracle whip
Sweet pickle relish
Sweet pickle juice w diced sweet pickles
And plenty of sugar..top w paprika

Yummm
The is a Love/Hate thread. I love everything suggested and I hate the fact that I can't cook just for me. Screw it, I'll bum off the good cooks here.
Add in some pineapple juice. Makes it sweet but smoking the ham and basting it sure makes it good

Wow, yall are making my mouth water, already. Funguy, I've never heard of basting with OJ. Now that's a new on one me. I'm gonna try the comeback recipe soon as I can get all those ingredience. I have a lot of them already. Thanks friends. Originally Posted by Guitar
Cut the back bone out, then smash it flat. Inject with Creole Butter and throw that sucker on the Big Green Egg at 350 and I can cook a 20 lb bird in about 2 hours. When the leg quarters get to 165 internal, pull them and cover with foil while the breast gets to 155 internal. I've fried then, baked them, smoked for an hour, then fried them and several other ways. Spatchcocking is the way to go for me

Brine for 24 to 30 hours. Don't stuff with bread stuffing. This just fucks up the cooking process. Do stuff with fresh herbs and 1 or 2 quartered apples to keep the inside moist.
Bake at 500° with foil covering the breast for 30 mins. This helps cook the dark meat while keeping the breast undercooked. Take off the foil and reduce heat to 300°. Bake for 1 and 1/2 hours or untill the deepest part of the breast is at 165° And DON'T open the oven to baste. Baste after you have removed it from the roasting pan. Let it rest for 1/2 hour covered in a loose fitting foil tent. It will finish cooking.
Take this time to make gravy with the drippings.

Craving the bird is an other matter. Start with the legs and wings. Remove them to a large plate. Remove the breast in one large piece. Place in a large bowl with drippings not used for gravy. Have a plate and craving knife and fork near by.
Pros juicy meat.
Cons all those dishes. Grand kids should be told santa watches who helps with the meal prep and clean up.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. Originally Posted by beguilingvoice