Austin just got REALLY weird!

wow Austin is a really weird town now...I guess it might be all these liberals coming from California trying to "green peace" everything?? Or todays "save the earth" radicals??

I was at HEB today/checked out with a large basket of groceries....the cashier then tells me that I have to "BUY" my bags cause of some "new travis county ordinance"!
what the heck??I NEVER had to do that before and won't start doing it! I pay alot for my groceries already so i expect the bags to be complimentary! I can understand if I had gone to sack n save! I used to buy HEB cause of their great "policies & stances in the commiunity".....BUT NO MORE! I walked out leaving everything on the checkstand and went to RANDALLS where the bags were free & service was awesome!
plastic bag ban has been in place for a while now.

wb to austin btw.
wow Austin is a really weird town now...I guess it might be all these liberals coming from California trying to "green peace" everything?? Or todays "save the earth" radicals??

I was at HEB today/checked out with a large basket of groceries....the cashier then tells me that I have to "BUY" my bags cause of some "new travis county ordinance"!
what the heck??I NEVER had to do that before and won't start doing it! I pay alot for my groceries already so i expect the bags to be complimentary! I can understand if I had gone to sack n save! I used to buy HEB cause of their great "policies & stances in the commiunity".....BUT NO MORE! I walked out leaving everything on the checkstand and went to RANDALLS where the bags were free & service was awesome! Originally Posted by DallasRain
Well, sweetie pie, Randall's may not charge ya fer them bags at tha checkout, but ya kin be shure thet tha price o' them bags is workedt inta tha price o' yore groceries. Ain't nuthin' really fer free in this ol' world. Ah'd expect a paid poonanny pervider ta know that frum personal axe-perience. Don't e'erybody say that even with civvie gurlfriends and real world esposas thet thar really ain't no such thang as free pussy? We men-folk pay fer it one way 'r 'nother. Same thang wif yore bags. They're a line item charge at HEB an' one o' them embedded unseen charges at Randall's.
that is so true Mr DD!

Nothing in life is free ... or easy! lol

But actually I ended up paying less cause I did not "impulse shop" like I always do at the bargain stores...lol
  • Loxly
  • 01-19-2014, 09:52 PM
I figure that I've saved at least 3 plastic trees in the past year. You CAN however get paper bags at some places.
I prefer paper bags....thats what randalls gave me....and I still luv Austin though!!!!
Plastic bags have to be good for multiple uses. When you go to the mall, the bags there are now thicker. It means I don't shop for groceries anymore in Austin unless I'm just picking up an item or two on the way home from work and can carry it out in one hand.
As a native Austinite I am not happy about the bag ban, they made perfect shit bags when cleaning my cat's litter box. As far being a "Liberal", "Green Peace" town... You're damn right we are and that's exactly how we love our city, and that is exactly how it will stay for many years to come. we will never be a stuck up, hypocritical conservative city like Dallas or Houston NEVER. and if folks can't handle that they are more than welcome to stay the hell out of our city, you won't be hurting any feelings here I promise you. As long as UT is here we will remain the weird, trippy, tree huggin city we want to be, the assholes can leave if they don't like it.... period.
Unfortunately, this batshit crazy pseudo environmentalist bullshit is happening in a lot of cities around the country. Lots of cities are banning free shopping bags.

They are also finding more food poisoning incidents in cities that banned bags because your reusable bag that you had the leaky package of raw chicken with salmonella in gets used over and over and contaminates your raw fruit and veggies for your next few shopping trips.

Don't get me wrong. I'm in favor of things that actually help the environment, but this is just bullshit to inconvenience the public and give the appearance of doing something for the environment.

I bought 1000 bags on my own and they only take up the space of a couple of loaves of bread. Probably a 10 year supply. Shopping bags just don't use that much of our precious natural resources.

Me, as often as possible, I take my shopping business and my sales tax dollars outside the Peoples Democratic Republic of Austin to places where I get bags. For many of us, it's not that far to a store outside the city limits of Looneyville.
Y'all need Aldi's. God bless Aldi's. You pay for your goddamn cart! But I also pay $25/wk for my mostly produce groceries.
  • Lrqr
  • 01-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Y'all need Aldi's. God bless Aldi's. You pay for your goddamn cart! But I also pay $25/wk for my mostly produce groceries. Originally Posted by JennsLolli
We do have Aldi's, it just goes by a different name - Trader Joe's.

The Aldi from Germany had a bit of a tiff (related to tobacco, I recall) and split ownership in Europe, so the stores there are actually owned by 2 different owners, depending on the country.

When they both came to the US, one went to CA under the name Trader Joe, the other hit more east coast and brought the name Aldi.

Anyway, I tend to agree the bag ban is high on talk and low on impact. There are better ways to achieve both symbolic and impact, but whatever...
The plastic bag ban has been around for quite a while now. Not sure why the surprise.
Y'all need Aldi's. God bless Aldi's. You pay for your goddamn cart! But I also pay $25/wk for my mostly produce groceries. Originally Posted by JennsLolli
It's one thing when the store decides not to provide bags. It's entirely different when some government nitwits decide to force it on everyone as a political statement.
Those plastic bags are fucking toxic. One was caught in a cactus for 6 months in my yard, and when I went to pick it up, it disintegrated in my hands, with little plastic bits sticking to everything. I'm glad they finally did something and banned them. I wish the rest of the damn country would follow suit.
Ah-fore ya know it, Tha A-TX pussy cartel is gonna charge us men-folk if'n we don't bring our own rubbers. Prolly charge us fer disposal, too, if'n we don't take tha used ones wif us.

Ah blame Obama!