Rolling Stones Top 100 Greatest Artists (updated for 2011)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-time-19691231

and before you look for Michael Jackson and others ==> here are the Top 5:

5. Chuck Berry
4. Rolling Stones
3. Elvis Presley
2. Bob Dylan
1. The Beatles

Your Thoughts?????
Pretty much agree with this top 5 except for Bob Dylan...

Have to consider who I would put in his place.

SF
Always going to have arguments, but I agree with this list. The Beatles set the standard and Dylan is one of the greatest song writers of all time and has spanned the decades.
Elvis is the King !!!!!!
3. Elvis Presley

<3 *kiss*
Not to be too critical of the list as I agree with most of it. But how come you find people like Tupac are on there or Run DMC in the top 100, and yes they are cool, who have made no where near the contributions John Lee Hooker made or lets say Jefferson Airplane? I am pleased to see Al Green in there but again I would have to say he should be much higher on the list, but arguably that is biased on my part.

I can pretty much rest on the same results for the top 5. To tamper with that result would involve a lot of alcohol and other substances, a couple of the fine ladies here, and a camp fire in a secluded spot suitable for some loud and good natured arguing Come to think of it that's not really too bad an idea! Anyone game? LOL
  • sanan
  • 04-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Mick and Stolling Groans?

They are all nearly cripples with old age FGS! Give us a break.

Now if you want some serious erotic music go check out belly dance bands !
From the Rolling Stone link in part (that's why I posted it/....):

".....Rolling Stone celebrated rock & roll's first half-century in grand style, assembling a panel of 55 top musicians, writers and industry executives (everyone from Keith Richards to ?uestlove of the Roots) and asking them to pick the most influential artists of the rock & roll era....."
  • Mokoa
  • 04-19-2011, 12:43 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-time-19691231

and before you look for Michael Jackson and others ==> here are the Top 5:

5. Chuck Berry
4. Rolling Stones
3. Elvis Presley
2. Bob Dylan
1. The Beatles

Your Thoughts????? Originally Posted by dennisrn
Ah yes... The Fab Four!

Mick and Stolling Groans?

They are all nearly cripples with old age FGS! Give us a break.
Originally Posted by sanan
Well, tell you what...

Let's see how well you are after rocking on doing what they do for over five decades.

Now if you want some serious erotic music go check out belly dance bands ! Originally Posted by sanan
I am sure it is, but that is not the topic here.
Obviously the list is not about who's the best functioning act at the current moment, but rather whose body of work looms largest. So being geriatric doesn't disqualify the Stones, anymore than the bloated, drug-adled "King" at the end of his reign should lead us to discount the dynamo that was the early Elvis. Dylan's Christmas album is a travesty, but "Like A Rolling Stone" and dozens of others are no less good because of what he's become.

But back to the original question. I might--might--put Hendrix ahead of Chuck Berry.
  • E2
  • 04-19-2011, 01:39 PM
HELLO, obvious omission!! ............ Vanilla Ice !!
For What its worth, here is the total certified all-time record sales info that I pulled off Wikipedia

Artist Total Certified Sales

Beatles 246.6 million
Elvis 197.9 Million
Michael Jackson 153.7 million
Madonna 157.3 million
Led Zeppelin 130.3 million
Elton John 141 million
Mariah Carey 118 million
Celine Dion 111 million
Pink Floyd 107.8 million
AC/DC 98.9 million
The Rolling Stones 89.4 million
Bee Gees 62.1 million
Abba 53.6 million

Here's the link if you want more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._music_artists
  • Tr0y
  • 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Where is Eric Clapton on anyone's list?
But back to the original question. I might--might--put Hendrix ahead of Chuck Berry.
Where is Eric Clapton on anyone's list?