The Short Season: 2020 in Sports

Now this is just my opinion.

Politics has no place on the field, court, course pool or where ever a sporting event occurs.

It is my position that athletes should use their public persona, notoriety and wealth to promote any political issue they feel strongly about. . .but not as part of the sporting event itself.

We are all inundated with political controversary these days as an integral part of the 24 hr news cycle and our social media lifestyle.

I have come to follow sports (and perhaps the Hobby too) as an escape from this otherwise total immersion in controversy.

I just dopn't need more non-sport controversy. I am sitting out this season and the next and perhaps the next one too, depending on what sports allows themselves to become.
Now this is just my opinion.

Politics has no place on the field, court, course pool or where ever a sporting event occurs. Originally Posted by ICU 812
When there are years of respected policies and procedures with respect to etiquette as to proper governance and basic human ethics, this leader of the free world has put your opinion on sports ethics on the field of play to the sword.

• oeb11
  • 08-28-2020, 05:18 PM
pretend shakespeare - thanks YSL for the nonsense.

What needs to be put to the sword is the racist, marxist DPST tax increases to support their horrendous spending deficits on trillions upon trillions of dollars for black reparations, confiscation of wealth, and re-distribution to support nonsense like AOC and Bernie's Soylent green new Deal scam.

They will bankrupt America and destroy the dollar - and economic warfare upon our own country is what the racist marxist DPST do to impose their violent marxist revolution.

They will even be into the pocket book of 9500- something it has yet to comprehend.
For sports to become anything there has to be an effective vaccine for covid....the baseball players can't get together without getting sick, no way football goes for more than a month without having wholesale numbers of replacement players ready to play. The least affected will be golf, tennis, nascar given the lack of team interaction and that's with empty stadiums to compete in.

I understand your post addresses political issues brought on by players so my post may be a bit off topic but without a cure the players won't be on the field of play very long for you to decide what capacity you'll be watching them.
Sexy Karma:

Thanks for that. You are spot on in identifying the two aspects of big sports' problems today. The political stuff going on just now is underlain by the more profound health issues we all face.

And yet, I feel that even if a "cure" for Corona Virus was found today, the collective political activism of team rosters will have reduced the interest of many fans in many different sports. Blue collar fans coming off shift at the plant already feel that many sports figures are over-paid spoiled prima donnas. They know what it means to themselves if they don't show up for work.

I have no problem with athletes supporting political or social justice causes on their own time, but protesting during a sporting event is a spectator turn-off foe me. Refusing to participate in the event just kills The-Goose-That-Laid-The-Golden-Egg.
I have no problem with athletes supporting political or social justice causes on their own time, but protesting during a sporting event is a spectator turn-off foe me. Refusing to participate in the event just kills The-Goose-That-Laid-The-Golden-Egg. Originally Posted by ICU 812

the 2 commissioners, silver and goodell, allowed those prima donnas to have their way on their respective supports for politics and social justice. this is on them when their sports brand is damaged and loosing money.
Sexy Karma:

Thanks for that. You are spot on in identifying the two aspects of big sports' problems today. The political stuff going on just now is underlain by the more profound health issues we all face.

And yet, I feel that even if a "cure" for Corona Virus was found today, the collective political activism of team rosters will have reduced the interest of many fans in many different sports. Blue collar fans coming off shift at the plant already feel that many sports figures are over-paid spoiled prima donnas. They know what it means to themselves if they don't show up for work.

I have no problem with athletes supporting political or social justice causes on their own time, but protesting during a sporting event is a spectator turn-off foe me. Refusing to participate in the event just kills The-Goose-That-Laid-The-Golden-Egg. Originally Posted by ICU 812
For me personally, I'm rather indifferent to the protests but people have the right to feel whatever they choose, some are pissed off because the athletes are attaching their protest to the flag. I know others exactly with your position also.

I doubt the protests will change much because it won't change the atmosphere the cops work in on a daily basis, that they deal with the same people day after day and if they get angry and get a chance to shoot then it's more apt to happen. Then there are the cases like the one where the grandma called in to report a prowler, the cops show up and shoot the grandson who was reaching for or pointing with a cell phone in the dimly lit or dark backyard. The blacks revolt and want justice but they're not realizing the circumstances behind the shooting and the cops only have a second or two to react and make a decision. The guy that got shot had an obligation to realize the conditions and the situation and not make any sudden moves or motions that a cop might judge as aggressive and have to make a quick reaction to.

I remember when Emmitt Smith held out for more money, the offensive line was one of if not the best in the league and was opening up 4 and 5 foot holes anyone on this forum could have ran through. I wonder if any of those linemen "missed" some blocks when he came back and he took some three yard losses.

The blue collar comment as you mentioned....yeah, hurts the average Joe more to miss work than some guy making 10-30 million a year and has a huge shoe endorsement. If I remember right Kaepernick got a $50 million dollar deal from Nike not too long ago....he earned more taking a knee than he ever earned by his ability on the field. Flash in the pan taking the 49rs to the superbowl, got beat by Baltimore and did squat after that.
For me personally, I'm rather indifferent to the protests but people have the right to feel whatever they choose, some are pissed off because the athletes are attaching their protest to the flag. I know others exactly with your position also.

I doubt the protests will change much because it won't change the atmosphere the cops work in on a daily basis, that they deal with the same people day after day and if they get angry and get a chance to shoot then it's more apt to happen. Then there are the cases like the one where the grandma called in to report a prowler, the cops show up and shoot the grandson who was reaching for or pointing with a cell phone in the dimly lit or dark backyard. The blacks revolt and want justice but they're not realizing the circumstances behind the shooting and the cops only have a second or two to react and make a decision. The guy that got shot had an obligation to realize the conditions and the situation and not make any sudden moves or motions that a cop might judge as aggressive and have to make a quick reaction to.

I remember when Emmitt Smith held out for more money, the offensive line was one of if not the best in the league and was opening up 4 and 5 foot holes anyone on this forum could have ran through. I wonder if any of those linemen "missed" some blocks when he came back and he took some three yard losses.

The blue collar comment as you mentioned....yeah, hurts the average Joe more to miss work than some guy making 10-30 million a year and has a huge shoe endorsement. If I remember right Kaepernick got a $50 million dollar deal from Nike not too long ago....he earned more taking a knee than he ever earned by his ability on the field. Flash in the pan taking the 49rs to the superbowl, got beat by Baltimore and did squat after that. Originally Posted by sexykarma

And that is why the cop can not be guilty of murder. The blame, all the blame lies with the guy that was shot. If not for his actions, there would be no shooting. If I'm on the jury, that's what I stand with. A common sense conclusion.
And that is why the cop can not be guilty of murder. The blame, all the blame lies with the guy that was shot. If not for his actions, there would be no shooting. If I'm on the jury, that's what I stand with. A common sense conclusion. Originally Posted by HedonistForever
And it's always judged AFTER the shooting, the guy makes a quick move, gets shot, then after the shooting find out it was only a cell phone. But the emphasis is placed on the cell phone, not the quick actions that led to the shooting.

That same case afterward during a meeting a black man held a cell phone up in his hand addressing the man at the podium and asking "what is this....it's a cell phone." Don't know what the response was but it should have been "what is this in a dark backyard?"