How much does quality writing matter?

Mostly for the guys, but I'm sure we'll get some feedback from the ladies...

How much does strong writing play into your decision making process? Or, conversely, how does poor command of the English language play into your thinking?

Obviously, there is some informality on message boards*. Paid ads or websites are (and should be) held to a different standard.

How often do you find yourself thinking, "She's smoking hot, but if she can't put a sentence together I'd prefer someone else, particularly if we are spending a couple of hours together...."

The impetus for this thread was seeing some ads on another site (& not BP/CL either) where the spelling and grammar was poor and SOMEONE LEFT CAPS LOCK ON or worse aLtErNaTiOn BeTWeEn CaPs AnD nO CaPs. The ladies placing these ads are paying good money for them. Is it carelessness or not knowing (ignorance) that this is not effective?

*Yes, I'm not perfect & yes, there is a double standard for the ladies....I'm buying, not selling....so at least on this message board I'm pretty informal.
  • WTF
  • 07-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Mostly for the guys, but I'm sure we'll get some feedback from the ladies...

How much does strong writing play into your decision making process? Or, conversely, how does poor command of the English language play into your thinking?

Obviously, there is some informality on message boards*. Paid ads or websites are (and should be) held to a different standard.

How often do you find yourself thinking, "She's smoking hot, but if she can't put a sentence together I'd prefer someone else, particularly if we are spending a couple of hours together...."

The impetus for this thread was seeing some ads on another site (& not BP/CL either) where the spelling and grammar was poor and SOMEONE LEFT CAPS LOCK ON or worse aLtErNaTiOn BeTWeEn CaPs AnD nO CaPs. The ladies placing these ads are paying good money for them. Is it carelessness or not knowing (ignorance) that this is not effective?

*Yes, I'm not perfect & yes, there is a double standard for the ladies....I'm buying, not selling....so at least on this message board I'm pretty informal. Originally Posted by atlcomedy

YoU lOOking for a SEXatary for a lil DICKtation or a pen pal?
I'll take that as one vote for no from WTF
It is a major element to me. I'd like to know the lady I see can carry on a conversation, is somewhat intelligent, and is educated (even if she educated herself, but she gets ++ points for that).

I guess what is comes down to is what reviews say about her skilz (I used this on purpose in this thread, haha), which is a first hurdle. Then I try to decide if we will mesh. This is mostly a guess on my part, and my poor ability to do this may result in my extremely low satisfaction with the sessions I've had. Of course, entered into this guess, is my perception of how professional her ads/sites are.

I guess I'm kind of a prude. Nothing turns me off faster than a lady who shows up and makes sausage out of English.
It really depends on what I'm looking for. If it's a lower end, hour appt, I'm not very picky. If it be a higher end, multi-hour dinner date or just cozied up in a room, it would make a real difference if she couldn't string a sentence together. I'm not talking a typo or inadvertent misspelling but something really showing lack of care or education.
Word to JB
OK....I think I did. You just aren't looking to hard. Originally Posted by WTF
Now I would never answer one of WTF's ad's. He doesn't seem to understand that there is a "too" with two o's that means also.
  • WTF
  • 07-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Now I would never answer one of WTF's ad's. He doesn't seem to understand that there is a "too" with two o's that means also. Originally Posted by pjorourke
''OK....I think I did. You just aren't looking to hard.''

You want me to say too instead of to in the context of the above sentence?

''OK....I think I did. You just aren't looking too hard.''

''OK....I think I did. You just aren't looking also hard.''

How about I add another to for a total two to's ?

''OK....I think I did. You just aren't looking to to hard.''

And to complete our thread mixing.....
Whatever you do, don't tell Rudyard if ya ever start to feel alittle sheepish.
giggle...WTF said to to

oh wait that wouldn't be tutu

I get carried away once in a while but for the most part I hope to not only portray my personality through my typed words but the fact that I expect at least the same level of education when a gentlemen happens to call.

It worries me, though, that I have been contacted by a couple of gentlemen whose typed words are very poetic and flowing; however, they are not able to carry on a telephone conversation.

The gentlemen I choose to spend my time with, whether an hour, dinner, overnight or several days all possess the ability to converse - there is a connection through words that without that connection...they do not become my friends.
  • WTF
  • 07-10-2010, 10:45 AM
I'll take that as one vote for no from WTF Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Three votes!

A unanimous four votes if she is an anus licker! (can't forget the a-hole)
  • WTF
  • 07-10-2010, 10:56 AM
giggle...WTF said to to

oh wait that wouldn't be tutu

. Originally Posted by Lilith
I alway get the i-pp-i right when in Mississippi!
This is my friend Brenda Boobies.

You can see that she is an organized writer and is constantly honing her skills.

Good writing skills are reflective of intelligence, curiosity, attention to detail and other admirable characteristics, including a carnal disposition.

Sometimes that is important; sometimes I just want a hot little thing for the reasons why hot little things are in such great demand.

And then there are the complete packages like the aforementioned Brenda.

Awl4knot

P.S., It is nice when a lady compliments your writing skills. It is often a harbinger of an enjoyable encounter.
It worries me, though, that I have been contacted by a couple of gentlemen whose typed words are very poetic and flowing; however, they are not able to carry on a telephone conversation.

The gentlemen I choose to spend my time with, whether an hour, dinner, overnight or several days all possess the ability to converse - there is a connection through words that without that connection...they do not become my friends. Originally Posted by Lilith
When typing, one has the chance to consider one's words and assemble one's thoughts coherently. (BTW, I retyped that sentence three times; it started out a lot more pompous ). Some people just don't think on their feet that well.

When I look at a lady's website or ad, I look for basic grammar and spelling as well as the use of actual English words (I Cn Mk U CM!!! doesn't cut it). Beyond that, it's all good. So put me down as a "Maybe."
It is a major element to me. I'd like to know the lady I see can carry on a conversation, is somewhat intelligent, and is educated (even if she educated herself, but she gets ++ points for that) Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
How I wish this were true for more men....

Maybe there's a regional difference in what men look for, but I find being in the South that most of the good ol' boys here prefer their ladies "dumbed down".

Not all of the guys, mind you. But as an educated Yankee in Atlanta, I've been in a lot of situations (especially M&Gs, omg) where hobbyists care more about dmensions than intelligence.

I tend to avoid those men.

kisses, Alex
  • oden
  • 07-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Depends if she is writing in French, Geek or Russian!