What to do with a 16 lb hunk of meat?

Maxie's pork loin recipe thread has me wondering.

I bought a 16 lb pork shoulder the other day. Now I am wondering what the hell to do with it. I am not that good outdoors. How in the hell and I gonna get a good pulled pork from this? Ideas, please!
Slice that shoulder equally into 8 pounders....

Electric smoker? fill the pan with apple juice, the bottom of the smoker with oak chips, and smoke for 3 to 4 hours..

Regular grill? use your favorite seasonings, cook on indirect heat ( away from the coals ) 350 for 3 hours, foil wrap and add a cup of dark beer and continue indirect coal cooking for 2 hours

Let the meat rest 30 minutes, grab a couple of forks, and shred the pork...
16-20 hours on a smoker with a good dry rub, water pan filled (with apple juice or beer or water), cherry or apple smoke chips, and lots of cold beer.

Make sure internal temps are above 165F.
Let it rest an hour before pulling.
Maxie's pork loin recipe thread has me wondering.

I bought a 16 lb pork shoulder the other day. Now I am wondering what the hell to do with it. I am not that good outdoors. How in the hell and I gonna get a good pulled pork from this? Ideas, please! Originally Posted by NipLover
Ironically, I picked up a pork shoulder today to make Carolina-Style BBQ.

It's in the crock pot right now, and my house smells wonderful!

The difference between Texas BBQ and Carolina BBQ? .... Texas is beef and BBQ sauce. Carolina is pork and vinegar is a major ingredient in preparation. I've been craving this for months. Finally got a day where I can slow cook it in the pot until it falls off the bone. Yummy!

Alisha ....xoxo
Alisha, tell me how you prepare it. I want to cook mine in the crock pot, too.
Alisha, tell me how you prepare it. I want to cook mine in the crock pot, too. Originally Posted by NipLover

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1712...253207,00.html

You might have to cut that meat of yours in half ( no pun intended. Lol). I don't think you'll get a 16lb pork shoulder into that pot of yours.

Alisha ...xoxo
I have a large crock pot, but I think your right.
Or you could make some Carnitas, mmmm!
Over here!! Over here!!! Lob off a piece for me!!!!! I don't eat much!!!!!

Or better yet, make something killer and bring me a little!!!! PLEASSSSEEEE????? Haha
Over here!! Over here!!! Lob off a piece for me!!!!! I don't eat much!!!!!

Or better yet, make something killer and bring me a little!!!! PLEASSSSEEEE????? Haha Originally Posted by maxieryan
I'm sure we could find ways of making my meat disappear.
For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
------------
1 whole pork shoulder (approximately 16 pounds)
1 bottle your favorite BBQ sauce

Inject pork shoulder evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Place in a smoker and cook with indirect heat for 16 hours on 225°F. Serve with sauce on the side or paint shoulder with sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking. When done, the pork should pull off the bones easily. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 195°F.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1712...253207,00.html

You might have to cut that meat of yours in half ( no pun intended. Lol). I don't think you'll get a 16lb pork shoulder into that pot of yours.

Alisha ...xoxo Originally Posted by Alisha1972
Thank you SOOOOO much for the recipe!!!! I made this yesterday and it ROCKED!!! You're the best.
Thank you SOOOOO much for the recipe!!!! I made this yesterday and it ROCKED!!! You're the best. Originally Posted by maxieryan
Glad you liked it. It's amazing how much BBQ varies from place to place.

Alisha ..xoxo