Confirmed and Unconfirmed message receipts

I was PMing a provider throughout the course of the night, and as we were responding to each other's PMs, I could see the sent e-mail go from "unconfirmed" to "confirmed" with a date read. Then later, the last 4 replies I sent to her suddenly showed as "unconfirmed receipts" (each was previously confirmed with a date read) when I already had her replies in my inbox.

What does this mean?
It just means they replied without a confirmed receipt.

Confirmation is OPTIONAL to the recipient. So if you had a chain of PMs, it's likely that someone got tired of clicking the "yes" box all the time.

In short: just because you ask for read confirmation, doesn't mean you'll get it. It's still the end-reader's choice.
No, I get the part about not every message will get a receipt confirmation. What I'm saying is that she confirmed each receipt as we were talking; at one point all of my sent messages were confirmed because they had a date read. Then, a bit later, four of the messages (the last fou) suddenly changed back to "unconfirmed receipt."
good to know..learn something new everyday!
All of that falls under the category of games people play.

Sometimes some of these girls want to read what you wrote, but do not want you to know that they were interested enough to read your mail, so they will intentionally not return a confirmation receipt.

Women are wiley creatures who enjoy keeping men off-balance and in the dark, so you need to know how to read them even when they scramble the signals.

. . . It's all just a game.

Just like Duke of G said clicking ok in the confirmation popup is optional
you send a pm to provider
the next time she pulls up an eccie page a popup appears
she gets to the window that displays your pm
the confirmation popup appears and she clicks no to confim
she responds to you, now since she got it and the pm goes to you that is a confirmation even though she didn't click ok on the confirmation popup

understand?