Why are Republicans Against Democracy?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/31/u...on-ballot.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/abortio...lection-board/

Michigan republicans stop the people of Michigan choosing what they want on abortion rights in their state.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-...b5bc1548518cf6

West Virginia does the same.

Simply, why won’t the states just put it to the people?

Wasn’t that the whole battle cry over Roe taking it from the states. Who best to decide what should and should not be the peoples right than well, the people. Referendums would easily allow the people to decide the issue. Oddly though, republicans are against allowing the people to have choice and say in deciding what’s best for them. Why is that?
the way it doesn't work is by plebiscite

the way it works is in electing representatives

putting aside the fact we have a republic for the moment, the most anti-democratic people, and of course the most anti-republic people, are leftists
  • Tiny
  • 09-01-2022, 12:34 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/31/u...on-ballot.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/abortio...lection-board/

Michigan republicans stop the people of Michigan choosing what they want on abortion rights in their state.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-...b5bc1548518cf6

West Virginia does the same.

Simply, why won’t the states just put it to the people?

Wasn’t that the whole battle cry over Roe taking it from the states. Who best to decide what should and should not be the peoples right than well, the people. Referendums would easily allow the people to decide the issue. Oddly though, republicans are against allowing the people to have choice and say in deciding what’s best for them. Why is that? Originally Posted by 1blackman1
Hmmm, Now I believe a referendum is a great way to go, given that the Supreme Court has determined states should decide the issue. Hell, if I were dictator there would be abortion referendums on a citywide basis instead of a statewide basis. Government closest to the people is best.

However this referendum would undoubtedly turn out more Democratic voters in Michigan for the mid term election, so kudos to the Republican board members for kicking this down the road!
the way it doesn't work is by plebiscite

the way it works is in electing representatives

putting aside the fact we have a republic for the moment, the most anti-democratic people, and of course the most anti-republic people, are leftists Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
I would disagree. Most states determine what peoples rights are by referendum which serves as an amendment to their constitutions. The legislature is to right laws, not define rights.

If you were correct they would not have a referendum process at all.
there are referendums and initiatives allowed by states, each state having their own allowances, as well as recall petitions

but in the main we have representation

and just like the federal constitution, states have processes to amend their constitution, have at it

but the more curious question is why you accuse republicans of being anti-democracy?

states like new york and california pass terrible bills all the time in their legislature and you don't claim democrats to be anti-democracy

and of course federally, you relish the strong-arm passing of bills in dimocrat controlled branches of government

call for grand national plebiscites to protect yourself from charges of hypocrisy
I gave you two specific examples of the republicans stopping referendums on abortion. If they truly believed in democracy they put the issue to the voters rather than stopping the voters from addressing it. It has nothing to do with passing bad bills.
you're a bit unfair which is par for you
Because democracy is the antithesis of autocracy, and they're all about that...
you're a bit unfair which is par for you Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
So you have no real answer.
I gave you two specific examples of the republicans stopping referendums on abortion. If they truly believed in democracy they put the issue to the voters rather than stopping the voters from addressing it. It has nothing to do with passing bad bills. Originally Posted by 1blackman1

Gee and the Roe Vs Wade was the most undemocratic decision ever of the Supreme Court

What really needs to be done is nothing on the ballots about abortion for this election cycle. A reasoned debate needs to take place on abortion, and the debate needs to start with when does life begin.
Wrong. Your assertion that Roe was undemocratic is asinine.

The most Democratic thing to do is put the vote to the people. Let the people of each state vote on what they want abortion rights for the mother to be. If the people agree to a complete ban the legislatures can draft laws to that effect. If the people vote for 6, 12, 15 or whatever number of weeks, the legislature can draft laws to that effect.

When life begins has nothing to do with when an abortion can or should take place. I’m my view a more sensible argument is about viability and quality of life but those are different arguments.

Here in La we have a woman whose baby will be born without much of the skull. The baby will surely die or have very limited and painful life for some short time there after. There is no real physical risk to the mother to carry to birth though during birth the lack of a skull will undoubtly result in the baby having massive brain damage. She cannot have an abortion so she will have to carry the baby to term and watch it die a painful death. That’s what anti-abortion republicans are fine with. I am not.
Why don't democrats know that our country is a Constitutional Republic and not a democracy?
Why do you only favor the will of the people when it favors your posjtion?
Someone needs to start a civics thread so these guys can learn how the United States government works. Fuckin public schools these days.
Wrong. Your assertion that Roe was undemocratic is asinine.

The most Democratic thing to do is put the vote to the people. Let the people of each state vote on what they want abortion rights for the mother to be. If the people agree to a complete ban the legislatures can draft laws to that effect. If the people vote for 6, 12, 15 or whatever number of weeks, the legislature can draft laws to that effect.

When life begins has nothing to do with when an abortion can or should take place. I’m my view a more sensible argument is about viability and quality of life but those are different arguments.

Here in La we have a woman whose baby will be born without much of the skull. The baby will surely die or have very limited and painful life for some short time there after. There is no real physical risk to the mother to carry to birth though during birth the lack of a skull will undoubtly result in the baby having massive brain damage. She cannot have an abortion so she will have to carry the baby to term and watch it die a painful death. That’s what anti-abortion republicans are fine with. I am not. Originally Posted by 1blackman1

I see you are still batting 100% wrong