We need a Rule requiring Mods to Disclose Forum Rule that was broken when they close a thread.

Lately, it seems to me that Mods have been closing more and more threads, sometimes arbitrarily.

Examples:
http://eccie.net/showthread.php?t=328519
http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=323837

Now, I admit the Goodby Joe thread is arguable. But I do think it was more about current events and criminal law than it was about a forbidden subject. And, I think the thread was closed more over the back and forth between Olivia and WTF than anything else. And this was done in a Forum that the Mods had specifically set up as a "thick skin" forum.

And some threads are closed, and no one really knows why. JB's "enough" IMHO is not a specific enough reason. This is an adult board, and we should be pretty free to speak our minds here (absent forbidden subjects) and suffer the consequences (I did recently). But over-moderating does not become this board.

Currently, Mods can close threads (almost) at a whim. (JB recently closed one, then agreed to move it and open it up again.) There should be a real basis to closing a thread, and more than just that it is in the wrong forum. And the Mod should be required to list the rule that was broken in closing the thread.
Charles, it would probably be best to direct your request and comments directly to the owners of the site, you know....the ones that make the rules here.

Here is a link with information on specifically how to do that
http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=9619

There is also a link for moderator applications there.
Charles is like me - thinks he knows better than the owners how to do things
@cc - I've never found that route to be especially profitable. No action is taken on the suggestion, and no one really knows about it.

But it appears that this suggestion will just go in the round file.
Really, we need another rule? Why, to open the Mods up for heated discussions as to "why" a thread was closed?
We've got two great mods in OK who have enough respect of the members that making them justify their actions is not necessary.
These guys do this without pay. Let's let them do their best.
Charles, mods just enforce the existing rules. We don't make them, the owners do that. When the owners instruct us to make this or other changes, it will most certainly happen.
Lately it seems like retarded nite !! Wtf?
I always know why they close a thread...they usually send a pm with some points and a nice red box!

As to why Rockelle's thread was closed...well I did send her a pm suggesting if she was going to change her name and avatar that she close the thread, because the wife could easily find it by a google search of her email. Not sure if that's "why" but I did suggest it may help.

The PSU thread was done in every forum on this board and it was about children. The board has always said children and drug use were prohibited topics in any context I suppose. Fk ya'll...FREE JOE PA! That's for you WTF!
Really, we need another rule? Why, to open the Mods up for heated discussions as to "why" a thread was closed?
We've got two great mods in OK who have enough respect of the members that making them justify their actions is not necessary.
These guys do this without pay. Let's let them do their best. Originally Posted by SaintBerry
I'm going to respectfully disagree here. One of our mods has an extremely quick trigger finger, and an apparent distaste for explaining himself. One of the few he did explain he closed because it had the potential for personal attacks even though none had occured. What thread doesn't have the potential for rule breaking. Seems as though he didn't respect us enough to see if we would keep it on track or not. I'm not sure a new rule is necessarily the answer, but it would be nice to offer an explanation, especially if the reason is not obvious.
  • TBONE
  • 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM
NO MORE RULES!

But a note explaining why the thread was closed should be noted as a courtesy to all who posted on it.

T
Most of the threads I have seen closed, the reason was given by the mods, or the reason was more than evident.

I guess when the mods start getting paid an hourly rate rather than the discounted sessions they receive, then we can put more rules & restrictions on them. (That was a joke, everyone is supposed to laugh now.)
Often it seems that threads are closed because they pass from informative to just plain bullshit. Other times they become a tiresome baby drama. Then yet again, maybe some are closed a little too quick. I like watching a good train wreck.
NO MORE RULES!

But a note explaining why the thread was closed should be noted as a courtesy to all who posted on it.

T Originally Posted by TBONE
Right on TBONE! From my time as a mod, you guys asked us to do this. The Austin mods are great at explaining their reasons behind closing a thread. Whether we agree with the mods is another issue.

One of the rare times I agree with charles that there should be a reason given.

sixx
I like a train wreck too, especially when I am not the cause of one. Just sayin.
I like a train wreck too, especially when I am not the cause of one. Just sayin. Originally Posted by London Rayne
Here's your reason: "Because I said so DAMN IT!!"... Works at home.....