What's on your wrist?

After hanging out in Switzerland for a couple of years Mazo developed a particular taste for high-end wrist watches. For me it's about the technical beauty of these things. I think it's an absolute miracle that you can make a machine the size of a wrist watch that keeps time in 1/10th of a second with 99.9977% accuracy. I just love the whole concept of that. It's a rare day that I'm not wearing a certified chronometer.

Mrs. Mazo, on the other hand, sees these as nothing more than penis extensions that you strap on your wrist. She considers the whole subject to be entirely pretentious - especially in an age when your cell phone tells the time with atomic clock accuracy. "Why can't you buy a nice convertible?", she says, "At least then I'd get some use out of it too."

Despite the obvious counter-argument that Mazo and the Mrs. live in Wisconsin where a watch is significantly more useful than a convertible, what's the general feeling around here about stupidly expensive timepieces? Are these useful? Artful? Or are they just plain egotistical?

Personally I don't go for high decoration or the real over-the-top tourbillons or multiple complication pieces. My everyday watch is a nice Omega Seamaster Titanium (which, due to the presence of a pressure relief valve for helium saturation diving could be considered a bit of a penis extension). I've then got a couple of vintage IWC's for dress up and a Zenith El Primo for when I'm feeling particularly arrogant. Those aren't anything absolutely outrageous, but they're not Timex's from WalMart either. I love them because of what they are, not because they say something about me.

So what say you? What's on your wrist?

Cheers,
Mazo.
Depends on the day. Breitling, Omega, Cartier, Jaeger leCoultre, Rolex. At the moment, a Breitling.
I think we've done this one before, but...

nothing
But what do you guys think about the philosophical question?

Does it say something about you either way?

Does it chase the girls away, bring 'em closer, or (as in Mazo's case) make 'em care even less about you?
She considers the whole subject to be entirely pretentious Originally Posted by Mazomaniac

You said a mouthful
But what do you guys think about the philosophical question? Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
Never have.
As Mazo said a watch is not necessary to keep track of time. We seem to have accurate clocks all around us. As a result even though they serve a function (so do cufflinks), I'd classify them as a fashion accessory or jewelry. That's not a good thing or a bad thing. We all have our things or personal style. Some of us pull it off; some not so much.

What I do find pretentious are folks with a watch that is clearly inconsistent with their means. Think the 22 year old sharing an apartment with 3 other guys but wears an expensive watch. I imagine if he is a smooth talker he may be able to buy an attractive women a drink at the club, but I suggest he try to go to her place, 'cuz you gonna have some 'splaining to do when she sees all the guys crammed in your place...

Personally I think referring to one's self in the 3rd person is more pretentious than any watch.
Gosh ATL that's hilarious
Put me in the camp of those that check their phone - or 'puter - to get the time. While I've always really enjoyed & admired a very nice watch, I won't wear one...or any kind of ring, either. I just don't seem to be able to take proper care of them. I'm forever losing them or scratching/scraping them on one thing or another.

I have a nice watch that belonged to my grandfather which I'm saving for my son. Hopefully, he'll be able to wear it better than I!
The odds are that your son won't even know how to use a watch -- or maybe your grandson.
The odds are that your son won't even know how to use a watch -- or maybe your grandson. Originally Posted by pjorourke
The thought occurred to me!

So I made sure he knows how to wind & what it means to us. He's a good kid. He'll wear it...whether anyone else knows what it is...or not.
What's on your wrist?

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
Freckles. I eschewed watches for cells about two years ago.
Let me guess? Cells are cheaper?
I loved my stainless rolex, but hated the trips to jewelers every year or so to get it cleaned/adjusted. It averaged $300 every time I took it in. Now I just spend that money on a decent (seiko divers currently) watch and when I destroy it, I get something new.
Personally I think referring to one's self in the 3rd person is more pretentious than any watch. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
That's not pretentiousness, it's split personality disorder.

My real world Dr. Jekyll just hasn't accepted the duality of the Eccie board Mr. Hyde.