BBQ for KC region

Multiple selections are allow. So vote for all your favorites. Poll is only open for 2 weeks
A very interesting poll for me personally because I am a CBJ. A CBJ is a " certified barbecue judge". The CBJ acronym means something else to many reading this on ECCIE. There is no pay for judges and occasionally the judge spends money on gas and hotel rooms to judge a contest away from their home town. Most contests are fund raisers for an organization, a chamber of commerce or civic club. It is fun to judge and there can be some excellent BBQ. I have been to some of the legendary joints and newer ones like Smokin Guns in NKC which opened for business after some consistent big wins at major contests. Strangely, I remember a non BBQ item.... the fries.... at Arthur Bryant's being excellent. Oklahoma Joe's has a loyal following and has competed and won competitions. It will be fun to see what happens here and follow the comments. Glad you did the poll!
All of these are very good places for smoked meats. Everybody knows that real BBQ is whole hog, slow smoked, chopped, with salt and pepper, and vinegar if so desired. Fly to Eastern North Carolina and try the que at "B's"
  • KCJoe
  • 11-27-2012, 11:07 AM
I hate Arthur Bryants. Went there 25 years ago and was disgusted by the filth of the place and swore I'd never go back. I heard once the old man died that they cleaned up the place, but the memory of cockroaches crawling up the walls will never leave me.
A very interesting poll for me personally because I am a CBJ. A CBJ is a " certified barbecue judge". The CBJ acronym means something else to many reading this on ECCIE. .... Oklahoma Joe's has a loyal following and has competed and won competitions. It will be fun to see what happens here and follow the comments. Glad you did the poll! Originally Posted by Relaxer
Must be fun have all the crews making you great bbq! So that is how it gets started sometimes? Do they move the cooker there then? For the contest? Okie Joe's is leading right now...wonder where we will end up?

All of these are very good places for smoked meats. Everybody knows that real BBQ is whole hog, slow smoked, chopped, with salt and pepper, and vinegar if so desired. Fly to Eastern North Carolina and try the que at "B's" Originally Posted by 9676forfun
I went to a couple of places when I went to a Cup race in...where was that track??? Any way did a couple of bbq places and they were pretty good! But it was a long time ago. Bring us some sample up someday '76 and we can game out of it and trade wyou for beans and slaw.

I hate Arthur Bryants. Went there 25 years ago and was disgusted by the filth of the place and swore I'd never go back. I heard once the old man died that they cleaned up the place, but the memory of cockroaches crawling up the walls will never leave me. Originally Posted by KCJoe
The original place over by the old ball park right Joe? I remember taking a crew there one time long ago. I got enough food for the whole family to eat that night, even after I did two sandwiches of my own.....but it was not the cleanest back then. I wonder what is there when the old ballpark was???? The KC A's....
Arthur Bryant's--filth? Just think, there is 25 more years of it now. That's part of the cache. There used to be a guy chopping ribs there who was missing most of a ring finger. That's nearly a ride at Disneyland next to Pirates of the Caribbean.
Okie Joes has 1/2 the votes so far
The biggest difference to me between the old timers and the newcomers is how they trim their brisket. Many places take all or most of the fat off the brisket. The older places leave a good deal of it on. It may not be healthy for you, but your taste buds love it.

Remember when McD's fries tasted so good - they were cooked in beef tallow.

Grandma's pie crusts were so tasty and flaky - she used lard instead of shortening.

I'm not saying have it in your daily diet, but sometimes give yourself a treat.

http://discovermagazine.com/2006/feb...d#.ULeEQOQ73nE
I just ate at Jack Stack last night - WOW.

I am totally amazed that they had lamb ribs, so of course I had to try it.

AND that cheese corn and baked beans - YUM!

Gates is the other place near me - should I try it?

Gates is the other place near me - should I try it? Originally Posted by gigi_gypsy
Have to compare don't you? Just be ready for "Hi, May I help you?"
The biggest difference to me between the old timers and the newcomers is how they trim their brisket....- they were cooked in beef tallow.

Grandma's pie crusts were so tasty and flaky - she used lard instead of shortening.

I'm not saying have it in your daily diet, but sometimes give yourself a treat.

http://discovermagazine.com/2006/feb...d#.ULeEQOQ73nE Originally Posted by BigMikeinKC
That makes sense. I remember the pie crust from the old days. There was a big difference in what Grandma Suzie make a pie and when the comes from the frozen section.

Gates is the other place near me - should I try it? Originally Posted by gigi_gypsy
The corn is a plus that is hard to top. There are a couple of creamed corns that are almost as good. 3 kinds of ribs and Jack is one of the best in my book.

I am totally amazed that they had lamb ribs, so of course I had to try it. Originally Posted by gigi_gypsy
RJ's Bob-Be-Que has lamb ribs also. They are awesome.

And SS, RJs is in Mission, almost next door to Johnny's. It isn't in KCK.
RJ's Bob-Be-Que has lamb ribs also. They are awesome.

And SS, RJs is in Mission, almost next door to Johnny's. It isn't in KCK. Originally Posted by KCQuestor

You're right - HIckory Log, Famous Dave's , Backfire Barbeque , Wyandot Barbeque never made the list.....my apology. Messed up my home work again....will change the information when we get a final list....12 days left to vote
I was tired and very hungry so I just went back to Jack Stack. I did try other things - the beef burnt ends were wonderful as well as the pork ribs.

Next time I come back to KC, I will have to plan better
I was tired and very hungry so I just went back to Jack Stack. I did try other things - the beef burnt ends were wonderful as well as the pork ribs.

Next time I come back to KC, I will have to plan better Originally Posted by gigi_gypsy

We will be glad to have you back again.

10 days and the vote will be final....Oklahoma Joes is still the favorite!