Question: Corporal Punishment

To punish or not to punish that is the question. The Washington Post has an article about corporal punishment (CP) in Temple, TX and I wanted to know what everyone thought about this volatile subject.

I am biased and believe in CP. I was spanked in school and I didn't grow up to be a mass murderer or serial killer. At what point, for those that do grow up malfeasant, do you stop allowing them personal responsibility or take away their ability to reason? I know that there was a more disciplined student body than that of today. I understand that there is always a chance for abuse, but given the lack of discipline now, could it be another option when parents are rarely home or afraid to discipline their own children.
Damn. And I initially thought this was going to be a FUN subject about spanking! You know, and perhaps wearing a special outfit, or something!

Sigh,
Elisabeth
To punish or not to punish that is the question. The Washington Post has an article about corporal punishment (CP) in Temple, TX and I wanted to know what everyone thought about this volatile subject.

I am biased and believe in CP. I was spanked in school and I didn't grow up to be a mass murderer or serial killer. At what point, for those that do grow up malfeasant, do you stop allowing them personal responsibility or take away their ability to reason? I know that there was a more disciplined student body than that of today. I understand that there is always a chance for abuse, but given the lack of discipline now, could it be another option when parents are rarely home or afraid to discipline their own children. Originally Posted by DFW5Traveler
It's the last sentence that is a current issue. I'm not "afraid" but you do have children who are threatening parents with calling CPS if you spank them. And there is also, currently, a different mindset about spanking in general then there was when I was a child. Just saying ...

This topic is just going to really get people going. I'm sure of it!

Elisabeth
And how come it's always the corporals that get punished
I don't have a problem with CP, if delivered prudently.

In fact I think one of the biggest problems in our schools (hell, society in general) is everyone is so tort adverse. You can't discipline a kid these days without worrying about getting sued.

&Yes I grew up in a home where if I got in trouble at school I was much more worried about what would happen to me when I got home.....
I'm all for spanking Corporals. Especially if they have nice round asses.
&Yes I grew up in a home where if I got in trouble at school I was much more worried about what would happen to me when I got home..... Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Me, too. My father AND mother were formidable and damn scary if they were angry at your behavior. But it WAS a different time and place. Paddling was the norm and not the exception.

Elisabeth
I'm all for spanking Corporals. Especially if they have nice round asses. Originally Posted by John Bull
Hopefully this isn't what you were referring to, Bull....
Attached Images File Type: jpg klinger.jpg (3.8 KB, 95 views)
  • WTF
  • 04-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Without it our school system is fuc'd
I'm all for spanking Corporals. Especially if they have nice round asses. Originally Posted by John Bull
I was a Cpl in the Marine Corps also and I've been told I have a nice ass, but go near it and I may have to BRASSqueeze the trigger.
Not in favor of it in school - yeah, I know surprised everyone here. Truth is I don't hit my kids either, there are other ways to discipline them. My feeling is that hitting them teaches that violence can be ok and I would rather that is a lesson they not learn. Just my opinion.
I totally get the point of paddling a kid up to the age of say 10 or 12...not sure what the magic number is. It can be a much more tangible, impactful form of discipline. I don't get it with kids any older than that.

In their teens they can understand consequences and others become more meaningful. Suspension, not eligible for sports, community service, etc. Slapping the kid with a paddle a couple of times becomes and easy way out for the kid.
I never met a kid that didn't understand a good right cross.
Hopefully this isn't what you were referring to, Bull.... Originally Posted by atlcomedy
OhMiGawd - I never thought about Maxwell. We'll leave him to WTF.
I was a Cpl in the Marine Corps also and I've been told I have a nice ass, but go near it and I may have to BRASSqueeze the trigger. Originally Posted by DFW5Traveler

Only if it looks like this.