Wisc Democrat's Votes No Longer Count

Just in case anyone was still in doubt about how screwed up the situation is in Wisconsin, our Republican Senate leader yesterday announced that the votes of Democratic senators will no longer be counted. He says that this is because the Democrats are in "contempt of the Senate", but doesn't explain exactly why they are in contempt or how they can go about curing that contempt and getting their vote back or even how being in contempt means that your vote won't be counted. The Republicans have, in effect, simply seized dictatorial power here. They're not even pretending any more.

So after all the whining about the democratic process and how the Republicans are just trying to get the Dem's to "do their job" we finally get to see exactly what the meaning of democracy is to right-wingers in Wisconsin. I can't wait to hear how certain members of this forum decide to defend this one!

Cheers,
Mazo.
Their votes didn't count anyway. The Reps have a super-majority.

It only applied to Committee meetings because they are in contempt of the Senate until they attend a session. And he did say how to cure it -- they have to attend a session.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...tory?track=rss

Drink your coffee and relax. The Huns are not yet at the gates.
Another misinformed liberal/progressive/leftist.....sad how their opinions are molded by emotion rather than intellect......
Another misinformed liberal/progressive/leftist.....sad how their opinions are molded by emotion rather than intellect...... Originally Posted by Marshall
Come on PJ. Linking to a comment in a news story to support your point? You're better than that.

In Wisconsin it's the executive session where things get done. If you can't vote in executive session then nothing else matters. There's rarely any floor debate under the system we use up here. Bills are moved to the point where they can no longer be amended during committee session. If you can't vote in committee you might as well not even bother to come. In fact, there's only 14 times in the whole year where the Senate actually has a floor period. Our legislature just doesn't work like that. Note that the budget bill was dealt with in executive session of a joint committee, not on the actual floor.

Also contrary to the link you posted, a member who is held in contempt is only released from contempt when a majority of the senate votes to do so. That means this order is in effect for as long as the Republicans feel like it, not at the start of the next floor session (which isn't, btw, for another two weeks).

There is also no rule that says that you can't vote or otherwise participate in legislative business while under a contempt resolution. I can't even imagine a rule that would allow a legislative officer's vote to go unrecorded. It's a basic premise of democracy that your representative gets to represent you, isn't it?

Basically, the Republicans are just making all of this up as they go along (which includes the original contempt resolutions which created a new rule and held the Dem's in contempt of it on the same day). It's just ridiculous.

The point of this latest move is apparently to advance all legislative business in the senate up to the point where the bills can no longer be amended. Since the Dem's can't vote they can't even slow down the process. They are simply shoving everything down the pipe as fast as they can before the recall elections can occur.

That's not democracy. It's just shameful.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Another misinformed liberal/progressive/leftist.....sad how their opinions are molded by emotion rather than intellect...... Originally Posted by Marshall
Who let HerFaceChair back in the room?
Who let HerFaceChair back in the room? Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
Yeah, I knew this guy reminded me of someone. I'm going to ask the Mods to check it out.
Basically, the Republicans are just making all of this up as they go along (which includes the original contempt resolutions which created a new rule and held the Dem's in contempt of it on the same day). It's just ridiculous. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
So what you are saying then is that karma is a bitch.
PJ, if you were an equal opportunity libertarian, you'd be as outraged at this as you are at the passage of Obama's Healthcare package. You talked about the Dems shoving that "POS" down the Rep's throats without debate, etc.

Well, I guess when the Reps do it, we see your true colors. You like to paint yourself as a libertarian, but I bet you are a true blue, take-no-prisoners republican at heart. You should just own up to it here.
So what you are saying then is that karma is a bitch. Originally Posted by pjorourke
OK, now that's just weird.

I posted the same line in Chucks' earthquake thread at almost the exact moment you put it here.

If you and I are starting to think alike then I'm just going to go out and put a bullet in my head right now before I start doing some serious damage to society.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Typical comment from the left....insults...personal attacks...no facts....no logical analysis
Typical comment from the left....insults...personal attacks...no facts....no logical analysis Originally Posted by Marshall
So being "new" around here just how did you know that linking you to HerFaceChair was an insult?

Mod to aisle seven please. Mod to aisle seven.

Cheers,
Mazo.
PJ, if you were an equal opportunity libertarian, you'd be as outraged at this as you are at the passage of Obama's Healthcare package. You talked about the Dems shoving that "POS" down the Rep's throats without debate, etc.

Well, I guess when the Reps do it, we see your true colors. You like to paint yourself as a libertarian, but I bet you are a true blue, take-no-prisoners republican at heart. You should just own up to it here. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I said in the other thread that this was the same as the Dems cramming down the PoS Obamacare. What more do you want me to do. However, that being said I certainly do get a hell of a lot more outraged over the government trying to take over 14% of GDP than I do over cutting out an inside deal with government. Remember, my team is for smaller government. If it advances that goal, I'm good. Tactics aside.
  • WTF
  • 03-15-2011, 08:37 AM

So what you are saying then is that karma is a bitch. Originally Posted by pjorourke
No, had you read his thoughts on Karma....you would know that it only could be a bitch, it does not have to be!

Typical comment from the left....insults...personal attacks...no facts....no logical analysis Originally Posted by Marshall
Come on Gen Marshell.....admit you are at least a second cousin to Herfaceinchair!
WTF, do you have a posting limit in effect today? What does mine have to do with the other two?