Regretting Sentimental Gifts

• WTF
  • 03-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I am just at you WTF... Originally Posted by LonesomeDove

Laughter....I give it freely, my friend!
Given most of the guys I know...I think you're safe. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Word! I doubt he even took it home with him.
I dont think this has anythign to do with th gift itself. By its very name it implies that it can not be taken back, however, the feeling of regret for giving it should not exist as well... The spirit that the gift was given in, was a moment in time, and the spririt of that moment is what matters. Not the gift itself..
however, the feeling of regret for giving it should not exist as well... Originally Posted by Docdave
I very much regret giving a gift and I wish that I could ask for its return. I gave a gift that at the time didn't have any sentimental value to me. Well life has changed and that object means so much more to me than it ever could to him.
I very much regret giving a gift and I wish that I could ask for its return. I gave a gift that at the time didn't have any sentimental value to me. Well life has changed and that object means so much more to me than it ever could to him. Originally Posted by Ansley

Was it your virginity?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  • WTF
  • 03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Was it your virginity?

Originally Posted by Nicolette Bordeauxva
Touche Nicolette! That was good.
Actually it was what I thought too.
Was it your virginity?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Originally Posted by Nicolette Bordeauxva
Wooowwww.... Barkeep, we need some beer here to put out the flames.

Good one Colette!
For some reason I hate the thought that he might still keep it. I hope he threw it out. Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
Given most of the guys I know...I think you're safe. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
Lauren, I'd treasure a lock of you hair! [swooning]
SR Only: Contending or pretending?
SR Only: Contending or pretending? Originally Posted by discreetgent
Hey, MA, how'd you log on to DG's account?
Hmmmm....this is something I just discussed with a group extensively yesterday...

While I believe that gifts should be given from the heart and "in the moment," I understand that feelings and relationships can change and resentment or regret may develop at a later date for giving a gift. Even a "non-sentimental" gift may become sentimental after the passing of time, as Ansley stated.

One gift that I do regret was giving my friendship and trust to somebody who completely broke my heart, twisted my words, held my realness and vulnerability against me and completely dropped me out of the blue. This woman was someone who was very open with me as our friendship was developing, or so I thought...yet once I shared almost everything about myself with her, our friendship was suddenly over and she began gossiping to other people about me and my "many issues."

At the same time, however, she taught me to be a bit more guarded about what I share and with whom, and I am much more particular about the people who I let into my life. So perhaps I received a much more meaningful gift in return?
  • WTF
  • 03-09-2010, 08:53 AM

At the same time, however, she taught me to be a bit more guarded about what I share and with whom, and I am much more particular about the people who I let into my life. So perhaps I received a much more meaningful gift in return? Originally Posted by LynetteMarie

Now that is the mature way to look at life!

We have no control over what others do. We have control of our actions! Taking responsibility over our own actions helps one celebrate life....not sitting around regretting doing something because someone did not live up to a preconceived notion!

There is no beauty in people living a regretful life!