High Fructose Corn Syrup (A Genetically Modified Chemical Weapon) Is More Toxic Than Refined Sugar, Researchers Conclude

Have you seen the documentary Fed Up? The corn industry is CRAZY!!!!

High fructose corn syrup is the new tobacco. Except corn syrup is in 80% of the products sold at most grocery stores.

I suspect in the next 10yrs HFCS foods will be handled much like tobacco has been in the last 30yrs. With such a direct correlation between obesity and the strain it puts on healthcare, especially diabetes, they can't keep riding the gravy train much longer.
Have you seen the documentary Fed Up? The corn industry is CRAZY!!!!

High fructose corn syrup is the new tobacco. Except corn syrup is in 80% of the products sold at most grocery stores.

I suspect in the next 10yrs HFCS foods will be handled much like tobacco has been in the last 30yrs. With such a direct correlation between obesity and the strain it puts on healthcare, especially diabetes, they can't keep riding the gravy train much longer. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
agreed
HFCS is no big deal, if eaten so you don't get fat
HFCS does not spike insulin, as it is absorbed by the liver(GLUT 2/5)
the BIG issue with HFCS is it bypasses the OFF switches that glucose is STOPPED By(PFK1, I think)
which means it will keep making TGs/energy
this is not an issue if YOU dont eat enough to get fat

the real issue (it looks like Nurse is right, if I read her post correctly) being fat.
don't be fat
Yes, it's possible
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...iet.professor/
For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

Yet this guy lost bodyfat and (as dumb as they are) helped his lipid numbers fall
Collino M. High dietary sugar intake: Sweet or bitter life? World J Diabetes
2011; 2(6): 77-81
http://www.wjgnet.com/1948-9358/pdf/v2/i6/77.pdf
Lipid counts are not body fat. Its cholesterol. Have you ever heard of the term TOFI? Google it. The guy on twinkies is likely TOFI. I noticed they didn't measure his BMI in the article you cited. That's probably why. He's TOFI. The article also states he supplemented with vitamins and a protein shake and the sugar diet was not sustainable for overall health.

HFCS triggers the body in extreme ways. Without fiber, the body is overwhelmed with high sugars and goes into peak-crash mode. Most of us live in that cycle on a regular basis whether we intend to or not simply bc of the high amounts of HFCS found in our everyday foods: ketchup, bbq sauce, spaghetti sauces, salad dressings (yes low cal and fat free dressings too), cereals (even healthy cereals), lunch meats, breads, you name it and it probably has some form or HFCS in it. If it has an ingredient that ends in "-ose" then it has sugar. Period. Even "fake" or "natural" sugars.

Sugar excites the same areas of the brain as cocaine and is just as addictive, some studies even conclude its more addictive. The problem is that sugar is so readily available in so many products that you don't even realize you are craving "sugar". You think you just "need a diet coke" or "feel like a snack" or even just simple "hungry". Sugar crashing triggers hunger among other unwanted effects like sadness and fatigue, mental disorganization. So many of our health issues in America are directly related to physical dependency on sugar. We are completely and totally addicted to HFCS in our country.

The article you cited states that calories are calories. They are not. Ingesting a handful of almonds is not the same as ingesting a handful of corn flakes. Eating corn flakes is like throwing a bunch of lit up tissues on a fire to keep it burning and the almonds is like throwing a good piece of wood on it. Anyone can lose weight by sticking to one type of calorie. That's why the Atkins diet was so popular. It takes a proper balance which is very difficult to do for most families who shop at grocery stores and cook recipes they see in the media since HFCS is in 80% of those products. Ever since the McGovern report in 1977 (when everything became "fat free") sugar has replaced fat in almost every processed food on the market.

It's a big problem and you will start to hear more about it in the coming years as childhood diabetes continues to soar. Type 2 diabetes, aka “adult onset diabetes” was nonexistent in children just a few decades ago. In 1980, there were ZERO childhood cases. Fast forward to 2010 and there were 57,636. That blows my mind.

I have tried to cut the sugars in my home since seeing Fed Up and it is no easy task. It is a challenge to come up with recipes and snacks that are acceptable at school especially with all the allergies of other kids. I'm so glad we don't have any allergies here at home bc coming up with lunches and snacks is hard enough already.

I've rambled on enough... Bottom line is I really recommend that documentary. It's an eye-opener for sure.
Lipid counts are not body fat. Its cholesterol. Have you ever heard of the term TOFI? Google it. The guy on twinkies is likely TOFI. I noticed they didn't measure his BMI in the article you cited. That's probably why. He's TOFI. The article also states he supplemented with vitamins and a protein shake and the sugar diet was not sustainable for overall health. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
wrong
I am not a nurse, but ...
I kan read.
ever try it?

the article I linked to say they did measure both BMI and bodyfat:-from the article:
Haub's body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent. This posed the question:
His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal

The term TOFI, “thin-outside-fat-inside” is used to describe lean individuals with a disproportionate amount of fat (adipose tissue) stored within their abdomen

Men store fat in their bellies, women in their hips/butt, why is that? l
google Alpha-adrenoreceptors.
--that has nothing to do with the my post that shows diets work by creating a caloric deficit, the way marks did

none the less, Mark's bodyfat fat changed
pre-sugar diet-33.4%
post-sugar diet-24.9%

Body mass index(BMI) also changed
pre diet-33.9
post diet-24.9

HFCS triggers the body in extreme ways. Without fiber, the body is overwhelmed with high sugars and goes into peak-crash mode. Most of us live in that cycle on a regular basis whether we intend to or not simply bc of the high amounts of HFCS found in our everyday foods: ketchup, bbq sauce, spaghetti sauces, salad dressings (yes low cal and fat free dressings too), cereals (even healthy cereals), lunch meats, breads, you name it and it probably has some form or HFCS in it. If it has an ingredient that ends in "-ose" then it has sugar. Period. Even "fake" or "natural" sugars.

Sugar excites the same areas of the brain as cocaine and is just as addictive, some studies even conclude its more addictive. The problem is that sugar is so readily available in so many products that you don't even realize you are craving "sugar". You think you just "need a diet coke" or "feel like a snack" or even just simple "hungry". Sugar crashing triggers hunger among other unwanted effects like sadness and fatigue, mental disorganization. So many of our health issues in America are directly related to physical dependency on sugar. We are completely and totally addicted to HFCS in our country. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
so what? you arent proving anything relevant to the fact My post is correct.

are you correct?

Yes and no
no, sugar is not the reason people have health issues, sugar is why people are fat.
being fat is why people have health issues.
yes, sugar causes you to crave food,
Sugar gives you highs and low, is very much like a drug. Is reward pathway.. look up "MOUSE PARTY" or go here to help understand:
specifically how FOOD makes me want MORE FOOD
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/conte...ewardbehavior/

Food manufcaturers know this and make food have an ideal "bliss point",
http://www.nextnature.net/2013/02/ho...-in-junk-food/
There is no doubt food manufactors make food addictive
Google BLISS POINT, a combo of fat/sugar/salt and it works people want more FOOD

BUT SO FUCKING WHAT? Mark, the guy who lost weight eating sugar made a choice to NOT eat more calories than he allotted himself, 1800.
so even though he endured the bliss point in his food, he didnt succumb and eat more calories then he said he would,. which is why he lost weight.

The article you cited states that calories are calories. They are not. Ingesting a handful of almonds is not the same as ingesting a handful of corn flakes. Eating corn flakes is like throwing a bunch of lit up tissues on a fire to keep it burning and the almonds is like throwing a good piece of wood on it. . Originally Posted by thathottnurse
*sigh* it depends, but mostly calories are calories.. they are not magic, eating 100 calories will NEVER be more than 100 calories.
When you eat 1800 calories a day as mark did, and you burn 2000+ like marks did
no matter what those 1800 consist of, they will never be MORE than 1800 calories, which is why he lost weight,

.I'll explain for you, k
Lets use your examples,. ALMONDS vs corn flakes
lets say you eat 100 calories of each.
what happens in the body?
Almonds-100
8grams fat-72
3 grams sugar/carbs-12
4 grams protein-16
-
cornflakes-101
1g fat-9
22g sugar-88
1g protein-4

those are closely the same calories
but they MIGHT not get stored in the amounts listed.
fat is stored pretty much as fat, 100% of calories
protein is pretty much broken down by 20-50%, something like that, but protein cannot become sugar and you just don't get fat eating protein, unless you eat tons of it
sugar/carbs--it depends, you rarely convert carbs to fat, very rarely, so unless you are using calories, you'll likely store it as glycogen in muscles/liver

so the almonds will make you fat and the cornflakes will give you energy, right?
again, it depends
at the end of the day, are you in a caloric deficit? If so, it doesnt really matter. if not, then the almonds are the best thing for you,
why is that, besides the fact you need fat for lots of reasons, you simply do not need sugar/carbs,
basically all you need to live are omega-3s, protein, fiber and some minerals/vitamins
Anyone can lose weight by sticking to one type of calorie. That's why the Atkins diet was so popular.. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
Not so, Atkins became popular because people wanted to lose weight AND eat all the bacon they wanted, etc
kinda true
let me explain
when you eat sugar and then STORE sugar as glycogen in various tissues, like liver/muscles, you are also storing a a bit water with each glycogen molecule.
so you go on atkins and eat tons of protein,
The fuel your body LOVES is sugar, fat/protein/ketones are secondary to sugar. so it pulls sugar out of your liver/kidneys,etc and as you much around you use up the glycogen.
Because you arent eating sugar it is not replaced and you lose a lot of weight which is WATER weight(also why when you initially start a no/low carb diet, you urinate a lot.)

It takes a proper balance which is very difficult to do for most families who shop at grocery stores and cook recipes they see in the media since HFCS is in 80% of those products. Ever since the McGovern report in 1977 (when everything became "fat free") sugar has replaced fat in almost every processed food on the market
It's a big problem and you will start to hear more about it in the coming years as childhood diabetes continues to soar. Type 2 diabetes, aka “adult onset diabetes” was nonexistent in children just a few decades ago. In 1980, there were ZERO childhood cases. Fast forward to 2010 and there were 57,636. That blows my mind. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
Did you read the study I linked, the one written by diabetes journal?
HFCS is not why you are fat.
I agree,l agree, sugar makes you want to eat more, isnt needed and is "bad" But when you don't eat more,(as mark did not, even though he ate sugar/HFCS) you will lose weight.
I have tried to cut the sugars in my home since seeing Fed Up and it is no easy task. It is a challenge to come up with recipes and snacks that are acceptable at school especially with all the allergies of other kids. I'm so glad we don't have any allergies here at home bc coming up with lunches and snacks is hard enough already.

I've rambled on enough... Bottom line is I really recommend that documentary. It's an eye-opener for sure. Originally Posted by thathottnurse
As I said, I agree with you, sugar is evil, addictive, etc but a person is fat people they eat more calories then they burn.
Being fat is why you have health issues.
here is a survey showing that very idea
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22530540

People with BMIs above 25 had higher rates of everything , CAD, diabetes, cancer,death...

heck, I have said this before
in rant against cancer/obesity
when MDs don't tell you the best way to fight cancer is TO NOT BE faT
http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...797&highlight=

I'm just showing you that the way to not be fat is limit calories, what those calories are doesn't much matter

certainly, mark could have done a much better job in his diet to be healthy
He should have had more vitamins/minerals/protein, ie higher quality food, not just empty calories. and some weight training, things to preserve muscle mass
but he proved all that matters are calories to lose weight(not fat)

BOTTOM LINE
sugar is addictive
sugar/HFCS is not why you are fat/unhealthy
sugar is not needed by the body
you can eat sugar and still lose weight/bodyfat