Sophisticated words.

Vocabulary has changed through the years. Bad can be good and hood type words are now a common use in the American language.
Is there a word that is sophisticated to you beside the word it self?

Intrigued
Vocabulary has changed through the years. Bad can be good and hood type words are now a common use in the American language.

Intrigued Originally Posted by Majichands
Could we narrow it down a bit? Is there a particular word for which you want a sophisticated substitute?

I mean, "spectroradiometric" is a fairly sophisticated adjective, I suppose. But I can't think of any single less-sophisticated word that means the same thing.
GREAT Nurse gone "bad". You figure it out.
Knobber

If i only had a key to the door knobber .

English
Vs
Americanized standard english

Any of the the queens english spelling of english
Arse vs Ass

Lets Get Hand Solo And The Aluminium Falcon

https://www.thoughtco.com/aluminum-or-aluminium-3980635
  • Old-T
  • 03-14-2018, 12:09 PM
GREAT Nurse gone "bad". You figure it out. Originally Posted by alaine
seems like a needlessly hostile reply.

Intrigued Originally Posted by Majichands
Hey, Majichands, I thought about you (very pleasant!) and this thread when I was checking on a spelling in the dictionary last night. Here's a sophisticated word: seriatim, pronounced SEER-ee-ah-tim. It's an adverb, and it means occurring or arranged according to a series. Example: "I have my spice cabinet arranged seriatim, alphabetically." The less-sophisticated equivalent would be serially.

Is that the kind of thing you were looking for?
Ten dollar word lol

Pretentious comes to mind
So, how does it work?
If you are looking for intelligent and sophisticated, ECCIE may not be the right venue....jus' sayin'.
Titillating. Serendipitous. Cacophony. Arabesque. Dilettante.
Pique, as in this thread has piqued my interest.
Proximity to an ecdysiast can lead to concupiscence making one tumescent.
Morosoph
(A philosophical, or learned, fool)
A Grecian phrase
I used petrichor in conversation a while back, only to be met with blank stares...
Pique, as in this thread has piqued my interest. Originally Posted by Lynette
Titillating. Serendipitous. Cacophony. Arabesque. Dilettante. Originally Posted by B Three
I used petrichor in conversation a while back, only to be met with blank stares... Originally Posted by B Three
What a wonderful life this is! And my must-see list is small ... but growing.

Very inspiring, ladies!

And, B Three, I have to be honest: you completely got me with "petrichor." I went as far as my antique dead-tree dictionary (Webster's Seventh New Collegiate), and you've got Webster, too. I know the internet's out there, and I'm about to go find out, but it seems like cheating to do so without first telling you that you're the winner. If I'm ever in or near Houston with a little free time, I'll bring you the cookies ... you just talk to me! (Well, and maybe we can find some other fun, too!)