REMEMBER: OBAMA'S INITIAL RESPONSE TO 9-11-2001 ATTACKS.

Eight days after the atrocities of September 11, 2001, Barack Obama (Illinois State Senator) wrote a piece for the Hyde Park Herald—and blamed the attacks on “a failure of empathy.”
Even as I hope for some measure of peace and comfort to the bereaved families, I must also hope that we as a nation draw some measure of wisdom from this tragedy. Certain immediate lessons are clear, and we must act upon those lessons decisively. We need to step up security at our airports. We must reexamine the effectiveness of our intelligence networks. And we must be resolute in identifying the perpetrators of these heinous acts and dismantling their organizations of destruction.

We must also engage, however, in the more difficult task of understanding the sources of such madness. The essence of this tragedy, it seems to me, derives from a fundamental absence of empathy on the part of the attackers: an inability to imagine, or connect with, the humanity and suffering of others. Such a failure of empathy, such numbness to the pain of a child or the desperation of a parent, is not innate; nor, history tells us, is it unique to a particular culture, religion, or ethnicity. It may find expression in a particular brand of violence, and may be channeled by particular demagogues or fanatics. Most often, though, it grows out of a climate of poverty and ignorance, helplessness and despair.

We will have to make sure, despite our rage, that any U.S. military action takes into account the lives of innocent civilians abroad. We will have to be unwavering in opposing bigotry or discrimination directed against neighbors and friends of Middle Eastern descent. Finally, we will have to devote far more attention to the monumental task of raising the hopes and prospects of embittered children across the globe—children not just in the Middle East, but also in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe and within our own shores.
Even back then, in the wake of the attack on America, Obama wanted us to "empathize". He refused to cast blame, but instead found faults with America.

Almost everything Obama wrote in this article was proven wrong. And he gave absolutely no consideration at all to the ideology of radical Islam, which is much more to blame than any imaginary “poverty” or “lack of empathy.”

Where was his outrage then, where is his outrage today?

Answer: With American colonialism.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...urrentPage=all
REMEMBER: OBAMA'S INITIAL RESPONSE ON 9-11-2001 Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Eight days after the atrocities of September 11, 2001, Barack Obama (Illinois State Senator) wrote a piece for the Hyde Park Herald. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
If it was "eight days" (9/19/01) after the fact, how do you know it was "OBAMA'S INITIAL RESPONSE," on 9/11/01, as you claimed in the OP?

Where's the friggin' link for "OBAMA'S INITIAL RESPONSE" on 9/11/01?
If it was 8 days (9/19/11) after the fact, how do you know it was his "initial response?

Where's the friggin' link on what Obama's "initial response" was on 9/11/01, as you claimed in the OP? Originally Posted by bigtex
9/19/11 - 9/11/01 = 8 days

Cooger maff!
Cooger 'rgumint!

Carry on!

(Bigkotex cooger smilicons for emphasis!)

Cooger maff!
Cooger 'rgumint!
Originally Posted by gnadfly
They haven't chopped your Smelly ol' Turdfly wings off yet?

What's the friggin' holdup?
I should know better but.....quit being an idiot Tampon. Better you should understand that young Mr. Obama had a chance to sit down and think about what he wrote. It may not have been his very first, right at that moment response (what was yours?) but it was a measured written response. That response was to condemn the adopted country that he lived in. He probably even called his good friend Bill to get his input. Even the democrats were condemning the Muslim terrorists but not Barack. He became your candidate and you voted for him. So you're damned along with him.
I should know better but.....quit being an idiot Tampon. Better you should understand that young Mr. Obama had a chance to sit down and think about what he wrote. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
JDIdiot, you need to take the grievance to your Idiot Klan, errr Clan First Cousin, TrendingIdiot. I did not make the claim that ""OBAMA'S INITIAL RESPONSE" about 9/11/01 was not made until 9/19/01. But TrendingIdiot damn sure did!

Where's that friggin' link, TrendingIdiot?

While you're at it TrendingIdiot, where's the friggin' link from MLK actually stating that he opposed "illegal immigration," as you claimed in that OP?

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=1107348
Let's see, he kept reading "My Pet Goat?"

Great thread Whir-LIE-turd. Nobody here could accuse you of letting yourself get distracted.

Where were you with this priceless opinion when POTUS ran for office?

I might have voted differently... CHIT, you could have changed history.

I guess YOU were busy reading "My Pet Goat!" I blame YOU!

Let's see, he kept reading "My Pet Goat?"

Great thread Whir-LIE-turd. Nobody here could accuse you of letting yourself get distracted.

Where were you with this priceless opinion when POTUS ran for office?

I might have voted differently... CHIT, you could have changed history.

I guess YOU were busy reading "My Pet Goat!" I blame YOU!

Originally Posted by Yssup Rider

Muslim Pecker Puffer !
Actually, in the article, Obama discusses the lack of empathy on the part of the attackers,and tries to examine how a culture can arise devoid of empathy. He has a point. At least back then he did.
America can be criticized for alot of things; but lack of empathy (for others) is not one of them.

Actually, in the article, Obama discusses the lack of empathy on the part of the attackers,and tries to examine how a culture can arise devoid of empathy. He has a point. At least back then he did. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
America can be criticized for alot of things; but lack of empathy (for others) is not one of them. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Are you serious? This government cares only for their owners, such as Big Oil, the defense industry, etc. Our people have much empathy, but it is not reflected in government.
  • DSK
  • 02-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Eight days after the atrocities of September 11, 2001, Barack Obama (Illinois State Senator) wrote a piece for the Hyde Park Herald—and blamed the attacks on “a failure of empathy.”
Even as I hope for some measure of peace and comfort to the bereaved families, I must also hope that we as a nation draw some measure of wisdom from this tragedy. Certain immediate lessons are clear, and we must act upon those lessons decisively. We need to step up security at our airports. We must reexamine the effectiveness of our intelligence networks. And we must be resolute in identifying the perpetrators of these heinous acts and dismantling their organizations of destruction.

We must also engage, however, in the more difficult task of understanding the sources of such madness. The essence of this tragedy, it seems to me, derives from a fundamental absence of empathy on the part of the attackers: an inability to imagine, or connect with, the humanity and suffering of others. Such a failure of empathy, such numbness to the pain of a child or the desperation of a parent, is not innate; nor, history tells us, is it unique to a particular culture, religion, or ethnicity. It may find expression in a particular brand of violence, and may be channeled by particular demagogues or fanatics. Most often, though, it grows out of a climate of poverty and ignorance, helplessness and despair.

We will have to make sure, despite our rage, that any U.S. military action takes into account the lives of innocent civilians abroad. We will have to be unwavering in opposing bigotry or discrimination directed against neighbors and friends of Middle Eastern descent. Finally, we will have to devote far more attention to the monumental task of raising the hopes and prospects of embittered children across the globe—children not just in the Middle East, but also in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe and within our own shores.
Even back then, in the wake of the attack on America, Obama wanted us to "empathize". He refused to cast blame, but instead found faults with America.

Almost everything Obama wrote in this article was proven wrong. And he gave absolutely no consideration at all to the ideology of radical Islam, which is much more to blame than any imaginary “poverty” or “lack of empathy.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...urrentPage=all Originally Posted by Whirlaway
I disagree with you. His response seems reasonable, even today. The part I most disagree with is the last sentence. I think those people should help themselves.
  • DSK
  • 02-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Are you serious? This government cares only for their owners, such as Big Oil, the defense industry, etc. Our people have much empathy, but it is not reflected in government. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
I would counter that the US gives billions away in humanitarian causes. Do you consider that foreign aid to be a cynical effort to advance US interests, and not charity?

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...urrentPage=all Originally Posted by Whirlaway
So our actions as a nation have no equal and opposite reaction? What exactly could be proven wrong? It sounds like a reasoned response. I wouldn't expect Republicans to understand reason though. And I disagree; of people had empathy they wouldn't act in such a way.
This post is so cryptic it is not understandable; how can anyone respond to your posts. They are impossible to make any sense of.

So our actions as a nation have no equal and opposite reaction? What exactly could be proven wrong? It sounds like a reasoned response. I wouldn't expect Republicans to understand reason though. And I disagree; of people had empathy they wouldn't act in such a way. Originally Posted by UnderConstruction