North Alabama

I hope most of you are aware north Alabama got slammed yesterday by nasty deadly weather. I was driving back today from Nashville and it was unreal the damage I saw just on I65 not to mention when I tried to stop and get something to drink. Those people are without homes and the basics reminded me of when Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. It also put things into perspective as to what is important when you hear on the radio of towns literally being leveled and than surreal when I would pass 30 Highway Troopers heading northbound to aid the people as well as other emergency vehicles and utility trucks all heading north...To listen as a mother pleaded for help finding her missing daughter to a report of a mother who died and the father was injured and someone handing a 7 week old baby off to someone saying "care for him as he was your own he is all the father has left" they were working on reuniting the father and son just really makes you stop and think. So to all the eccie family who lives up that way know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your families. Please check in when you are able. On a humorous note I don't think I will ever get to see a man on horseback and another man wrangling a steer on the side of I65 again. I will always think of that when I pass exit 351. Seriously things like this make you stop and think what really is important...
Indeed....tragic situation. 280 people have lost their lives yesterday and last night. Countless more have lost lost everything. Let's take a moment and remember what's really important. I believe the Red Cross is taking donations nationwide. Folks need help over there.
The HAIL you say !!!

Good news is, I won't need ice cubes for weeks. Hail, high winds, heavy rain, and power outages here in east Tenn., but no one I've heard of yet lost a life in my immediate area, thank goodness. Nashville on the other hand got hit hard once again.
Yes it was such a shock when I saw the news...sad indeed!! My prayers go out to those affected!!
i am glad for you..lol...I heard the eastern side got hot I was in Nashville last night and had slight rain..did something happen today?
The HAIL you say !!!

Good news is, I won't need ice cubes for weeks. Hail, high winds, heavy rain, and power outages here in east Tenn., but no one I've heard of yet lost a life in my immediate area, thank goodness. Nashville on the other hand got hit hard once again. Originally Posted by Abe Normal
You can give below and volunteer with Red Cross or United Way. I know of these two the Red Cross gives about 90 percent to the actual people in need.

http://www.whatgives.com/2011/04/28/...esource-guide/

http://wsocialmarketing.com/alabama-...o-relief-fund/
Thanks for the link London. I wanted to use my training today driving back but it was so early on there was no information of where to go...I hope other contact people they know up there and make sure they are ok...this is a time for the eccie family to come together and help..
You can give below and volunteer with Red Cross or United Way. I know of these two the Red Cross gives about 90 percent to the actual people in need.

http://www.whatgives.com/2011/04/28/...esource-guide/

http://wsocialmarketing.com/alabama-...o-relief-fund/ Originally Posted by London Rayne
196 confirmed dead so far in North Alabama and the Tuscaloosa area. The power is likely out for at least 4-7 days due to power grid damage coming out of TVA. I loaded up my crew and headed South until power is restored. There is a dusk to dawn curfew in Madison and Limestone counties to prevent looting.
Irish,
i hope you and your family are okay and hope the folks there in alabama make a recovery from a terrible act of nature.
I was on the road in East texas myself and watched a tornado cross the road in front of me and that same storm system was the one that traveled east and hit Alabama.
I have lived all up and down tornado alley over the last 20 yrs and the devastation left after a tornado is one of disbelief and it makes you wonder WHY?
We can only pray that the folks around that area band together and recover and rebuild even better than before.
we will all say prayers for all involved !
My heart goes out to all who are affected...and I hope people will contribute to the Red Cross or United Way. Thank you Riley for posting this...and yes, it sure does make you stop and think.
You can also call 1-800-RED-CROSS or text "REDCROSS" to 90999 to make a $10 donation

You can call 1-800-SAL-ARMY and donors can text "GIVE" to 80888 to make a $10 donation. Checks can be made out to the Salvation Army Disaster Relief, P.O. Box 100339, Atlanta, Ga., 30384-0339.

http://vad.aidmatrix.org/vadxml.cfm?driveid=2604

is one of the sites you can donate directly from with your credit card

and this link can be used to donate canned goods
http://www.aidmatrixnetwork.org/fema...spx?ST=Alabama

ALSO FOUND THIS INFORMATION for those of us who have the need to give back to our communities.

Volunteer Reception Centers open as of 1:30pm on 4/28/11:
Elmore County:
Elmore County High School
155 North College Ave
Eclectic, AL 36024

Tuscaloosa County:
St. Mathias Episcopal Church (Across from Wal Mart)
2310 Skyland Blvd East
Tuscaloosa, AL

Fri and Sat, April 29-30: 9am - dark

Rest in peace all the victim of this tragic storm & may the victims families find god to help them through these tough times.
Glad you are safe..any word on any of the girls or other hobbyist? I couldn;t find gas until past Birmingham...Be safe and keep is updated
196 confirmed dead so far in North Alabama and the Tuscaloosa area. The power is likely out for at least 4-7 days due to power grid damage coming out of TVA. I loaded up my crew and headed South until power is restored. There is a dusk to dawn curfew in Madison and Limestone counties to prevent looting. Originally Posted by pipefitter73
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you who have been affected by these recent tornados. I myself left town just a couple of days before one hit, and I was so surprised.
Luckily, no one I knew was hurt but according to my neighbors there was a lot of
damage in the surrounding towns.

I was reading an article today mentioning that this storm was the third largest tornado and then the first two were in, like, 1925 and 1934 before the Doppler system and the ability to warn people. This is pretty crazy tohave such a high death rate--but then again it was highly populated areas and Mother Nature seems to be increasingly not messing around!