EVERYONE needs to read this-hidden files

There are hidden files called index.dat files which store the URL's of EVERY webpage that has ever been viewed on your computer. These URLs are not erased by using the usual user-available tools. You can download the file viewer at this URL:http://www.pointstone.com/products/index.dat-Viewer/ at no cost. However, the privacy program that erases the entries is $29.95.
The following is from the 'Readme' file for a program which reads these hidden files:
What are Index.dat Files?
Index.dat are files hidden on your computer that contain all of the Web
sites that you have ever visited. Every URL, cookies and browsing history
is listed there. The file names and locations depend on what version of
Internet Explorer you have. If you are running IE version 4.0 or above,
the file name is "index.dat". Microsoft has not supplied an adequate
explanation as to what these files are for or why they have been hidden so
well.
What is index.dat Viewer?
index.dat Viewer reads the index.dat files directly. This makes sure that
what you see displayed by the program are the exact contents of the
index.dat files.

If you encounter a bug in index.dat Viewer, please visit
http://www.pointstone.com/support/ and feel free to submit details about
the problem, or your general feedback about index.dat Viewer.
Wow. thanks for the info. Is this the same for5 macs?
Hmmm... well I think I will consult a computer programmer friend who can elaborate on this. Interesting. Thanks for the info!
When you go to your web browser and use the internet tools to "erase browsing history" it only erases the file extension of the website url. It does not erase the file itself. It is still there. Any programmer older than third grade knows how to view the files. For this reason, if you get rid of a computer never, ever, ever, for any reason, let the hard drive go with the computer. Remove the physical hard drive and manually destroy it. Ie, dammage the disc beyond repair.
when i downloaded the viewer thing, it showed sites i have never visited and didn't show sites i have...weird
When you go to your web browser and use the internet tools to "erase browsing history" it only erases the file extension of the website url. It does not erase the file itself. It is still there. Any programmer older than third grade knows how to view the files. For this reason, if you get rid of a computer never, ever, ever, for any reason, let the hard drive go with the computer. Remove the physical hard drive and manually destroy it. Ie, dammage the disc beyond repair. Originally Posted by JohnMacnab
Hee hee. 'Office Space' Style
Very Informative, Thankyou
Another reason not to use IE? Are there similar files stored for Chrome and Firefox users
Appreciate this tip.
Great info...thank you!
A free program called CCleaner (used to be called Crap Cleaner, lol) cleans up index.dat files also, and a lot of other stuff.
I have CCleaner and it works great and it will clean out IE and FF.
Thanks luvg I'm gong to check out cleaner as well , thank you appreciate the info
There are portable versions of Chrome and FF - they can be installed and RUN from a thumb drive. All bookmarks, history, index etc.... all KEPT on the thumb drive.
I use Chrome and FF on a Linux machine which adds a layer of security since all data is encrypted.
my home directory is a separate hard drive, (its the "My Documents of Linux and more) which is only connected under my log in.

I have mentioned it before, unless there is some specific Window Program you need, look at a Linux distro.... I prefer Ubuntu which is the easiest out there. it adds a layer of if they do not know how to use it, they won't....
  • Krash
  • 07-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Does no one know about the incognito mode for Chrome?