New Topic..(A Happy one?)

So...all this arguing is making my blood pressure go up! Lmao...So can we discuss something happy!?...Please....

Ironically enough, I can't quite think of a specific topic, but hoping someone has a suggestion?
Here's some good news:

Assuming that William, Kate, and the monarchy survive long enough, England is set to get its first college-educated, common-born Queen.

You've come a long way, baby.

Took long enough, didn't it?

Cheers,
Mazo.
Here's some good news:

Assuming that William, Kate, and the monarchy survive long enough, England is set to get its first college-educated, common-born Queen.

You've come a long way, baby.

Took long enough, didn't it?

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
I know the tourists love the whole "having a queen" and monarchy crap....but that's all it is...total crap..The Windsors are not good people (in my opinion)...Especially Charles, he's a prick....I don't even know why we still have a bloody queen, she has no REAL power.....She meets with the prime minister on Wednesdays and he basically appeases her by filling her in on what's going on in Parliament....Every new session of parliament she will make a speech ( a formality )...but she's basically just a puppet...a really rich, old puppet...

Sorry Mazo! I started this thread to talk about happy things and here I just broke my own rule!
Hey, I tried!

LOL.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Today
Fulham beat Newcastle!
West Ham beat Blackpool!

Yesterday
Arsenal & Chelsea won

Monday/Tuesday
Chelsea managed to pry Torres away from Liverpool

Queen's Park Rangers still lead the race for promotion!

Good week for London football, no??
Hey, I tried!

LOL.

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
You did! Thank you!

Today
Fulham beat Newcastle!
West Ham beat Blackpool!

Yesterday
Arsenal & Chelsea won

Monday/Tuesday
Chelsea managed to pry Torres away from Liverpool

Queen's Park Rangers still lead the race for promotion!

Good week for London football, no?? Originally Posted by Sisyphus
Yes! I am a Chelsea fan!...They also bought David Luiz from Benfenica for 21.3 Mill GPB!
....I don't even know why we still have a bloody queen, she has no REAL power..... Originally Posted by Valerie
Erm no Valerie..that's not right.
The Queen has many powers, she chooses not to exercise them as the Royal Family are supposed to remain an a-political reigning family rather than one that governs. That said, the goverment, the armed forces and the Church of England are all hers...which is why the are preceded with, "Her Majesty's....."....
That is why, an elected PM cannot take up his newly appointed post until he is invited to do so by her, even when voted by the public. That's why when Tony Blair dissolved a position in the House of Lords (without confering with her) she made him re-instate it..because she can. That's what those weekly meets are about. If you do a little reading around the topic, you'll also find she has kept us out of more wars than she has ever allowed us to get into. I'd say that's a pretty powerful woman....
She could dissolve parliament tomorrow, turn all the Chuch of England Properties into Brothels and make every citizen a peer if she so wished...as well as go to war with anyone or disarm the forces of equipment for a quid.

I do agree that Charles is a plank though.
Unequivocally

C
Yes! I am a Chelsea fan!... Originally Posted by Valerie
LOL... I knew I'd smoke you out if I kept at it!

They also bought David Luiz from Benfenica for 21.3 Mill GPB! Originally Posted by Valerie
Damn, so much for the claims that RA had finally found the bottom of his pockets... They paid upwards of 30 for Torres, no?

Thought that's what Liverpool wanted the money for! Perhaps, it was Luis Suarez they wanted...

Programs here...get your programs here! Can't tell your Luiz/s' apart w/o your program....
Today
West Ham beat Blackpool!
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
and you are surprised lol?
Gotta love those Tangerines. Well SOMEONE has to lol.

C xxx
So...all this arguing is making my blood pressure go up! Lmao...So can we discuss something happy!?...Please....

Ironically enough, I can't quite think of a specific topic, but hoping someone has a suggestion? Originally Posted by Valerie
Well, the Groundhog did not see his shadow today so we will see an early spring.
Erm no Valerie..that's no right.
The Queen has many powers, she chooses not to exercise them as the Royal Family are supposed to remain an a-political reigning family rather than one that governs. That said, the goverment, the armed forces and the Church of England are all hers...which is why the are preceded with, "Her Majesty's....."....
That is why, an elected PM cannot take up his newly appointed post until he is invited to do so by her, even when voted by the public. That's why when Tony Blair dissolved a position in the House of Lords (without confering with her) she made him re-instate it..because she can. That's what those weekly meets are about. If you do a little reading around the topic, you'll also find she has kept us out of more wars than she has ever allowed us to get into. I'd say that's a pretty powerful woman....
She could dissolve parliament tomorrow, turn all the Chuch of England Properties into Brothels and make every citizen a peer if she so wished...as well as go to war with anyone.

I do agree that Charles is a plank though.
Unequivocally

C Originally Posted by Camille
She would never dare use those powers because the UK is a democracy, not a monarchy....Just because we have a Monarch, does not mean we live in a monarchy...

I'm sorry but saying the queen could dissolve parliament and turn the churches into brothels is the most absurd thing I've ever heard....

As far as her being able to take the UK to war with anyone anytime- she doesn't have that power, the armed forces may be in her name ie:her majesty's armed forces, but they take orders from the government, not from her..

If you think what's going on in Egypt at the moment is bad, it would be 10 fold in the UK if the queen decided to invoke the above powers you've listed.
Well, the Groundhog did not see his shadow today so we will see an early spring. Originally Posted by Becky
Yay!...I hate the bloody cold!
She would never dare use those powers because the UK is a democracy, not a monarchy....Just because we have a Monarch, does not mean we live in a monarchy...

I'm sorry but saying the queen could dissolve parliament and turn the churches into brothels is the most absurd thing I've ever heard....

If you think what's going on in Egypt at the moment is bad, it would be 10 fold in the UK if the queen decided to invoke the above powers you've listed. Originally Posted by Valerie
Valerie *sigh* the part about her turning churches into Brothels was a joke in keeping with your "happy" post. If it makes you happier, she could turn them into Universties. She could, but of course she wouldn't. Egypt? Never mentioned it. And yes...things would have to get EXTREMELY bad for her to intervene..but that doesn't mean she cannot. She can. It is what it is....
and you are surprised lol?
Gotta love those Tangerines. Well SOMEONE has to lol.

C xxx Originally Posted by Camille
I'm always a tad surprised when the one-legged man wins a butt-kicking contest!

Personally, I'd love to see the Tangerines stay up...it's great for the game! Holloway's interviews are worth it alone! The guy is a world-class nutter! Nice to see the spirit of Stanley Matthews alive & well down by the shore!
Well, the Groundhog did not see his shadow today so we will see an early spring. Originally Posted by Becky
Is that REALLY what San Franciscans want? I found the place colder in July than December!