Is Abortion and States’ Right Issue to Republicans?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...74079433fb9dad

People on the right on this site claimed they and republicans believed abortion was a states right issue, to be legislated and determined at the state level. Why then are republicans like Lindsay Graham introducing legislation to stop abortions nationwide at 15 weeks max, meaning a state can determine abortion bans up to 15 weeks but may also go with shorter periods.

I guess it’s not really a states right issue. Maybe republicans don’t really believe that after all since this is federal legislation.

Some of us knew this was gonna be coming down the pipe. Some people were naive enough to claim that republicans won’t pursue that because they believe it should be left to the states. I won’t call those people dumb but what’s obvious is obvious.
  • WTF
  • 09-13-2022, 11:06 AM
These idiots have lied all along.

Their Supreme Court picks lied.

Of course it isn't a state rights issue...if it was they would not be introducing Federal legislation.

Abortion is like Prohibition...the so called moral majority (which is actually the minority) is wanting to dictate their morals on the majority. It looks as if it may backfire. No GOP candidates want to discuss this issue!
These idiots have lied all along.

Their Supreme Court picks lied.

Of course it isn't a state rights issue...if it was they would not be introducing Federal legislation.

Abortion is like Prohibition...the so called moral majority (which is actually the minority) is wanting to dictate their morals on the majority. It looks as if it may backfire. No GOP candidates want to discuss this issue! Originally Posted by WTF

But Democrats have introduced Federal Legislature to overturn states restrictions on Abortion.

The problem is that the real debate that needs to occur is when life begins and the life has rights.
  • WTF
  • 09-13-2022, 02:21 PM
But Democrats have introduced Federal Legislature to overturn states restrictions on Abortion.

. Originally Posted by farmstud60
You mean like leaving that decision up to a woman and her doctor?

The problem is that the real debate that needs to occur is when life begins and the life has rights. Originally Posted by farmstud60
No shit Sherlock!!!
Good luck with that....you see what the MAGA crowd wants....a total ban.

How do you compromise with a group that thinks you are a murderer if they do not get their way?
... The MAGA crowd doesn't want "a total ban" - a total ban
is unreasonable to the issue... But "not after the first tri-mester"
seems like a reasonable compromise.

#### Salty
Why then are republicans like Lindsay Graham introducing legislation to stop abortions nationwide at 15 weeks max Originally Posted by 1blackman1
Zero chance it will become law just a political statement to get votes. The majority of Americans support some restriction of abortion.

Also 191 countries ban abortion after 15 weeks and only 7 allow it.

The global community often quoted by Democrats find late term abortions repulsive

Abortion is 100% at the federal level. Should be legal till the water breaks.
What is it about "this is a States rights issue" that Republicans and Democrats don't seem to get. To me, this is one of those perfect examples of the shall we say, "extreme wing" of each party, one wanting a law that says a mother has 15 minutes after birth to decide if her new born can be killed with a wave of her hand... OK, that was hyperbole but let's state what they really want, no prosecution for any abortion, for any reason, it is between a "pregnant person" ( laughing while typing that ) and THEIR doctor ( not her doctor ) and neither the state or local government or law enforcement, shall have any say in the matter.

And another party who will not budge on rape or incest, when clearly the majority of Americans would support those categories and if the polls are to be believed ( close enough in my opinion ) the majority say they don't like it, would like more, but can live with 15 week ban even in cases of rape and incest IF NOT REPORTED TIMELY. OK, I made that last one up as something I personally would want to see in the law.

I have no way in hell of knowing what a woman, young or not, goes through by being raped and raped by a male relative but it is incumbent upon that female for the betterment of the community to tell law enforcement of what happened immediately insuring there will be no need to test a 15 week ban. Like I said, personal opinion.

As to whether ALL Republicans believe that abortion should be a states right, of course they don't in the same way that not all Democrats believe a third trimester abortion is nobodies business but the mother and doctor. There are factions in both parties on this like every single other issue up for debate, that you have a far left and a far right side to deal with. That's just a fact so why try to dress it up as something it isn't.

There are far to many extreme right Republicans to suit me, which is why I will not register as a Republican but I'll damn sure vote for whoever they come up with over these extremists on the left and I completely understand those on the Left who would say the same thing I did about the right. One would have to be a hypocrite to not believe that.

It is my understanding that when the SC said this is a "states rights" issue, they meant that no FEDERAL law could supersede their decision because it would be un-Constitutional whether brought by the Left or Right.

If either Left or Right succeed in passing a Federal law and it goes to the court, what else could they say but repeat their previous ruling, if authority was not expressly given to the Federal government in the Constitution, therefore it belongs to the states to decide.

Which IS my opinion.

Now I could be wrong about that but I think that should be the understanding. If the 6 Justices that made Dobbs the law, that States would have the right to decide this matter didn't believe that and a few of them in private might have said "damn the Constitution, my religion makes me vote this way", I'd have a very big problem with that but I don't believe that is the case because of the long history of this debate and compelling reasons ( some given by RBG ) that Roe was wrongly decided in 73, hey it happens, the SC makes mistakes which demand being changed to comport with the Constitution.

The problem is that the real debate that needs to occur is when life begins and the life has rights. Originally Posted by farmstud60
Correct, the issue is indeed a RELIGIOUS issue.. Therefore there should be NO legislative interference.
You mean like leaving that decision up to a woman and her doctor?

No shit Sherlock!!!
Good luck with that....you see what the MAGA crowd wants....a total ban.

How do you compromise with a group that thinks you are a murderer if they do not get their way? Originally Posted by WTF

As opposed to the Democrats who would allow a woman to have an abortion the day before normal delivery.
You see what the MAGA crowd wants....a total ban. Originally Posted by WTF

Roman Catholic Senator Biden opposed abortion for 37 years

In 1982 Senator Biden voted for a constitutional amendment to allow individual states to overturn Roe v. Wade

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/u...on-rights.html

In 2009 when Obama/Biden had a super majority they could have passed any law they wanted

yet chose not to codify abortion rights
Why would congress need to codify a right the Supreme Court recognized just years after Obama and most of the people in congress were born?
As opposed to the Democrats who would allow a woman to have an abortion the day before normal delivery. Originally Posted by farmstud60
You miss the point.

It shouldn’t be for any political party or legislative body to allow anything.

It just isn’t their call.

Sounds like a conservative or libertarian position. Just not a RWW/MAGA one. Hypocrites.
You miss the point.

It shouldn’t be for any political party or legislative body to allow anything.

It just isn’t their call.

Sounds like a conservative or libertarian position. Just not a RWW/MAGA one. Hypocrites. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider

WRONG you miss the point. The whole Woman's right argument is a total fallacy that ignores the science of reproduction.
I have always said that abortion should include education.

Before a woman decides to have an abortion, she should be shown a clear picture, obtained with the latest medical procedures, of exactly what is growing in her womb.

When the doctor, (Abortionist), hears her say……..”that looks a lot like a tiny baby”, he can then try to convince here that it is nothing but a clump of tissue that has the potential of becoming a human being.,

If the woman then says, “get me rid of it”, she is the one who will have to live with her decision, not the Abortionist.

Keeping women ignorant about what is actually going on is the key to keeping the billion dollar abortion industry afloat.