Alert for traveling providers

Back when I was a Navy JAG, there were a few times where the officer conducting an Article 32, UCMJ hearing (the military analogue to a grand jury or preliminary hearing in the civilian sector) would issue a conclusion to the effect, "There is no evidence to support a conclusion that probable cause exists to believe that the accused committed an offense, however it is in the best interests of the Navy that the case be referred to a general court-martial." Inevitably, those cases ultimately resulted in a "not guilty" finding by the court, however there was a full, fair, and public hearing at which all the evidence was presented and all witnesses were cross examined by counsel. At the end of the case, everyone was satisfied that justice had been done.

For a while, I was thinking that this was just such a case; Officer Wilson should have been swiftly charged, and then the case would be heard, all evidence presented, and we'd have a decision that could be accepted by everyone as being proper and just under the circumstances.

And then I realized.... Nah. We're Americans. Of course half of us are going to be pissed off at the result of this proceeding and ready to vent righteous rage at it, because, that's how we roll.

Cheers,

bcg