NYC Cocktail Bar

I find myself in NYC for a couple of unscheduled days in the middle of this week. Thought I would take a little time to find a truly good good cocktail bar in Midtown or on the Upper East Side.

Volumes could be written and debated about what makes a good cocktail bar and how that is different from your local pub, our favorite dives and all the specialty categories (mostly associated with sports and dramatic locations). For me--a good cocktail bar would involve a great vibe, a dedication to good drinks (I really don't want to explain the ingredients of classic cocktails to another good-looking but half-witted bar tender/model/actor) and a large population of good looking women (working or otherwise) to make the evening pleasant for everyone.

Bars associated with a hotel or restaurant would be acceptable but not preferred, and I am trying to avoid the nouveau nothing hot spots (mostly further South) populated by legions of camera toting near-coeds (not that I have anything against a coed every now and again--mostly on Thursdays).

Anything recommendations out there or maybe a better definition of a good cocktail bar?
Brace yourself for an entirely unhelpful response:

I wish you had asked this question a week ago I just returned from NYC, and while I enjoyed my time there to an obscene degree, I never found myself in a classically styled cocktail bar.

(I am thinking dim lighting, piano jazz or something similar, tastefully decorated, knowledgeable / helpful staff, and well dressed / well mannered patrons enjoying cocktails rather than swilling booze until they can't stand.)

We "did the club thing", so to speak. It was fun, but I am a fan of classic and refined couture. I am interested to hear what suggestions you receive and will keep them in mind for my next visit
There seems to be a cocktail bar every few feet these days in New York.....

New York is my jumping off point for Europe, so I am in the city every other month.Some of the best cocktail bars I have found are in the hotels, namely, The Carlye, upper east side, 76 and Madison. Bemelmans Bar can be pricey, but a beautiful experience or check out the Cafe Carlyle for the cabaret.

Pegu Club on Houston and Broadway is a great cocktail bar, beautiful deco and some of the best drinks around. One of my favorites.

There is virtually a bar or lounge on every corner it seems; half the fun is walking around and trying some of them out.

St. Regis Hotel 55th at 5th ave has the King Cole Bar, have stayed there quite a bit and a great bar and lounge area.

Pick up a copy of the Village Voice, a free weekly paper, and look in the club section, or ask your hotel concierge or doorman to direct you. They know the really good spots if you tell them what you are looking for.
Bemmelman's has already been mentioned. That was the first though that I had.

Also, if you like cigars, Lexington Bar & Books is nice.

I hate to fall back on hotel bars, but the bar in the relatively new Mandarin Oriental hotel is great. MOBar, I think it's called. It's on the 30-something floor. Posh. Very good service. I stayed at the MO the next to last time I was in town and it was very nice to just hop in the elevator and head up for a night cap.
by SideSex2 - I really don't want to explain the ingredients of classic cocktails to another good-looking but half-witted bar tender/model/actor
i second the king cole bar in the st regis fantastic lots of celebs and pretty people
the Monkey Bar used to be cool. Haven't been there in years though.
STRONGLY seconding Pegu Club. It is one of the best cocktail bars in the city. The later-at-night crowd can sometimes veer a little douchey, but the cocktails are beyond impeccable. Go early. However, it doesn't meet the OP's preference for midtown or the Upper East Side.

For that area, you might try P.J. Clarke's on 55th & 3rd. I haven't been there, but Frank Bruni recently raved about the bartender there, Doug Quinn. You need to read the article to get an appreciation for the guy - or go have a drink there.
Also, if you like cigars, Lexington Bar & Books is nice. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Given your demeanor in the smoking thread a little while ago, I would have thought you would be up in arms that such a place even existed...not recommending it as a place to go.

I guess second hand smoke from gentlemanly New Yorkers is not as bad as from Texas rednecks.
I guess second hand smoke from gentlemanly New Yorkers is not as bad as from Texas rednecks. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
I never knew a Texas Redneck that smoked a cigar. If one was found, he would be drummed out of the society.
Carmines at 200 West 44th Street (there is more than 1 location, this is my favorite). They serve the largest martini's I've ever seen and, if I remember correctly (very hard to do after 1 of their martini's) they are $12 each....unheard of, particularly for NYC! Give it a try :-)
Great thread! I'll be in NYC in a few weeks, so this is incredibly helpful.

xoxo Sophie
Given your demeanor in the smoking thread a little while ago, I would have thought you would be up in arms that such a place even existed...not recommending it as a place to go.

I guess second hand smoke from gentlemanly New Yorkers is not as bad as from Texas rednecks. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
1. I went with someone who smoked cigars. It's not a place I would go on my own. I don't use tobacco in any form.

2. The primary argument in the other thread was whether it was legal or constitutional to regulate smoking in public places. Given that second hand smoke clearly has a negative health effect on non-smokers, I think that it is.

3. As to whether it is wise public policy to so regulate public places, I can appreciate, articulate, and persuasively argue both sides of the argument. My personal belief is that it is extremely good public policy in restaurants, casual and otherwise. I also think it is a good idea in most, if not all, bars.

4. However, that does not mean that an establishment for the sole (or almost exclusive) purpose of smoking cigars should not be allowed to exist. Again, I can appreciate, articulate, and persuasively argue both sides of the argument on this question. My personal belief is that it is fine to have such a place so long as the regulations allowing it don't allow regular restaurants and bars to circumvent the smoking ban in those sort of places.

5. And for that matter, I don't have any objection to restaurants, bars, or any other private business having a smoking section so long as there is an adequate ventilation system that assures that patrons in the much larger non-smoking section aren't exposed to any second hand smoke. The practical problem with such regulations are that they are a) incredibly hard to draw up with sufficient specificity; and b) very labor intensive to enforce. Therefore, as a practical matter, their costs may well exceed their benefits.

1. I went with someone who smoked cigars. It's not a place I would go on my own. I don't use tobacco in any form.

2. The primary argument in the other thread was whether it was legal or constitutional to regulate smoking in public places. Given that second hand smoke clearly has a negative health effect on non-smokers, I think that it is.

3. As to whether it is wise public policy to so regulate public places, I can appreciate, articulate, and persuasively argue both sides of the argument. My personal belief is that it is extremely good public policy in restaurants, casual and otherwise. I also think it is a good idea in most, if not all, bars.

4. However, that does not mean that an establishment for the sole (or almost exclusive) purpose of smoking cigars should not be allowed to exist. Again, I can appreciate, articulate, and persuasively argue both sides of the argument on this question. My personal belief is that it is fine to have such a place so long as the regulations allowing it don't allow regular restaurants and bars to circumvent the smoking ban in those sort of places.

5. And for that matter, I don't have any objection to restaurants, bars, or any other private business having a smoking section so long as there is an adequate ventilation system that assures that patrons in the much larger non-smoking section aren't exposed to any second hand smoke. The practical problem with such regulations are that they are a) incredibly hard to draw up with sufficient specificity; and b) very labor intensive to enforce. Therefore, as a practical matter, their costs may well exceed their benefits. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
LMAO at everything TTH said in the smoking thread
LMAO at everything TTH said in the smoking thread Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Yep, as the song goes…If you stand for nothing, you’ll fall for anything.

I am reminded of Charles Durning in “The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas”…
Ooh I love to dance a little sidestep, now they see me now they don't- I've come and gone and, ooh I love to sweep around the wide step, cut a little swathe and lead the people on."

I can just see him dancing back and forth.