Even medical school students...

HMO demands are getting ridiculous.
  • Old-T
  • 03-01-2012, 07:45 AM
My sister is a MD. At age 50 she is STILL paying on her med school loans. The price of med school is beyond absurd.
The only deal I know of is the United States Medical School.

Other than that, certain med schools overseas are reasonably priced, and if you do your research, you can find out which ones are better accepted when trying to transfer your education to the US.

I would normally mention Monterrey, Mexico, which is the Mexican educational Mecca, and a lot of US border doctors have Mexican educations. However, with the current border violence, I would not suggest ANYONE try the Mexican educational system.
This is an issue with all of the "learned" professions. The costs of graduate education are so high, with a corresponding period of little or no income, that it is not unusual for the "real costs" of a professional degree to approach $500,000.00. If you look at these costs as an "investment" the reality is that most professionals will not earn enough money to get back the investment much less make a "return" over what could be earned with a bachelors degree and specialized training.

This problem is even more acute for women who are entering the professional schools at similar rates to men but who face the reality that bearing children will reduce their earning potential. They really have no alternative but to marry men with high earning potential to support the family and help pay back the wife's student debt. So where is the economic independence that supposedly comes with a professional career?
I don't think it is a bleak as you have described.
The median expected salary for a typical Physician - Radiology in the United States is $406,866. This basic market pricing report was prepared using our Certified Compensation Professionals' analysis of survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at employers of all sizes, industries and geographies.
http://www1.salary.com/radiologist-Salary.html
Feel sorry for those bastards do ya. LOL
yea it is also very hard for the poor residents to live on a 40k per year stipend as well.
Join the military, and they will pay off your loans. Smart females, and or minorities get grants / scholarships to boot.
If you want it bad enough and are willing to sacrifice you will make it happen.
Give up 8 years to walk away without any debt, it was a no brain er for me.
Thanks to my rich Uncle Sam.
You're not doing a very good job of justifying your rebuttal.

I don't think it is a bleak as you have described.
The median expected salary for a typical Physician - Radiology in the United States is $406,866. This basic market pricing report was prepared using our Certified Compensation Professionals' analysis of survey data collected from thousands of HR departments at employers of all sizes, industries and geographies.
http://www1.salary.com/radiologist-Salary.html
Feel sorry for those bastards do ya. LOL
yea it is also very hard for the poor residents to live on a 40k per year stipend as well. Originally Posted by Fastcars1966
The average salary for pediatricians is $161,410. That's not chump change but hardly compensates for four years of med school and a two year of residency. The health insurers don't value well-baby visits even though these visits detect prospective health issues early on and get the babies into treatment programs that save untold dollars each year. These visits give true meaning to the maxim, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

And since the average resident works 80 per weeks, $40,000.00 equals $10.00 per hour. You can make that at McD's.

Join the military, and they will pay off your loans. Smart females, and or minorities get grants / scholarships to boot.
If you want it bad enough and are willing to sacrifice you will make it happen.
Give up 8 years to walk away without any debt, it was a no brain er for me.
Thanks to my rich Uncle Sam. Originally Posted by Fastcars1966
There are 20,000 medical school graduates each year. How many physicians join the military each year, maybe 1,000? It's really not an option for many.