Is Trump Counting On A Third Party Running?

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...crats-00106472

This could be what he has up his sleeve.

Trump knows he automatically can count on at least 35 to 40% of thpopular vote. Any “moderate” that runs will probably cost Biden quite a few more votes than trump.

If you remember, back when Ross Perot ran as a third party, he drew more votes from Bush 41 than he did Clinton, giving Clinton the electoral win.

With a viable third party ticket making a serious run, Trump could easily win the Electoral College with between 35 to 40% of the popular vote.

So, the best thing Trump supporters can do is contribute HEAVILY to what ever third party emerges.
No
I think if Trump at some point before the primary got twisted with the Republican party he could opt to run as an Independent.

Outside of that scenario which does not seem nearly as unlikely as it a few months ago I don't see a third candidate running. It will be interesting if by some chance Trump is not the nominee does he support the chosen candidate? Or does his ego not let him suck it up if that person talked shit about him during the campaign?
No Originally Posted by VitaMan
I respectfully disagree.
I think if Trump at some point before the primary got twisted with the Republican party he could opt to run as an Independent.

Outside of that scenario which does not seem nearly as unlikely as it a few months ago I don't see a third candidate running. It will be interesting if by some chance Trump is not the nominee does he support the chosen candidate? Or does his ego not let him suck it up if that person talked shit about him during the campaign? Originally Posted by DNinja69
There is about 30% of the voting population that will vote for Trump no matter what.

If he did, and the remaining percentage was split between Biden and who ever the Republicans ran, he could win.

Watch the news. There is some serious talk out of the Joe Manchin bunch, who could do exactly the same thing.
  • Tiny
  • 08-21-2023, 09:59 PM
I don't know if he's counting on it, but it's his best path to victory, if someone like Joe Manchin runs on the No Labels ticket.

It's hard to know how that will play out though. Manchin will not only draw Democrats who are sick and tired of the progressives who are calling the shots in the Biden administration, but also Republicans and Independents who refuse to vote for Trump and would otherwise stay home. Or who would do like me. While many may struggle with two bad choices, Trump or Biden, I'll have the much easier and happier chore of choosing between the Libertarian and a write in candidate, probably Amy the Wonder Dog. I probably wouldn't vote for Manchin as he wants to raise my taxes.
Trump is an idiot narcissist. VM is correct. The answer is "no". He is too delusional to believe he even needs any help to win. Jackie, you are giving that dipshit way too much credit when all he knows is how to shoot himself in the foot.
...So, the best thing Trump supporters can do is contribute HEAVILY to what ever third party emerges. Originally Posted by Jackie S
I think it's rather the other way around. Team Demonicrat is trying to bolster (foist) the Slo-Joe as the only Demonicrat option. That way, they can, in most states, jump in to the Republican primary to vote against Trump. Once past that leg, they can jettison FJoeBiden like the old smelly fish he is and slip in another candidate.

Besides, ATM, the GOPe is the third party candidate.
I like the conversation Manchin is inspiring but I don't believe he is the man to kick off the movement. We need someone who figured out our current system is failing long before they reached 75 but he could be valuable in the right role.

The right person stepping up to run that would inspire cash flow could upset the apple cart in amazing ways. I think social issues could be a key to the success as neither party currently has any reason to budge on their stance. Come with a moderate approach mixed in with good common sense ideas on the economy and issues that are either being ignored, passed off, or mishandled by the current administration.

The time is right and there is time to move but we need a younger candidate who has a record of working across party lines and getting shit done. The system is set up to defeat a 3rd party we just need to make some adjustments to allow for a more open playing field and this either/or bullshit gets put in the rearview
It will be interesting if by some chance Trump is not the nominee does he support the chosen candidate? Originally Posted by DNinja69

You've got to be kidding me.
Ya know, in a normal world I might agree with some of that. So the question is: Are we in a normal existence? Imma say nope. Pendulums swing equally, in both directions, but may decay over time - unless, you reach out and grab it and hold it steady and start the swing in the other direction. Ever notice what happens to a constantly running ceiling fan when you stop it and run it in reverse? Dust bunnies flying everywhere.

Sorry, but I don't see a soft landing or slow glide path to normal. I just don't. This shit is broke bad. We have a bureaucracy of career government employees that are beholding to their party - more importantly the ideology. We did not vote for that.shit.

Let's face it - we've turned in to a Kommie Kountry. You know what they do when the torch passes to the new leader? They're all fired, but can reapply. Of course, that presumes it was a peaceful transfer of power.

P.S. Nyet! Younger is not better, gayer is not better, a certain demographic is not better, a certain gender is not better. They are all just different on those qualities. Either they are a leader or they are not. We do not have the luxury of a trim tab approach.
I like the conversation Manchin is inspiring but I don't believe he is the man to kick off the movement. We need someone who figured out our current system is failing long before they reached 75 but he could be valuable in the right role.

The right person stepping up to run that would inspire cash flow could upset the apple cart in amazing ways. I think social issues could be a key to the success as neither party currently has any reason to budge on their stance. Come with a moderate approach mixed in with good common sense ideas on the economy and issues that are either being ignored, passed off, or mishandled by the current administration.

The time is right and there is time to move but we need a younger candidate who has a record of working across party lines and getting shit done. The system is set up to defeat a 3rd party we just need to make some adjustments to allow for a more open playing field and this either/or bullshit gets put in the rearview Originally Posted by DNinja69
Wonder if Mr. rump would agree to a plea deal for house arrest in Mar A Lago.
You've got to be kidding me. Originally Posted by VitaMan
Definitely not joking. I have the odds about 50/50 right now that Trump will make it to the primaries. If he doesn't I think its a fair question will he be 'a good Republican' and ask his supporters to vote Biden out or does his ego get in the way?

To Why_Yes_I_Do sorry but Biden is living proof younger is often better. I am not saying 40 but it would be nice to see some viable Conservatives in their 50's or even early 60's step up and provide some new direction for the Republican party. We agree the system is broken. If we keep doing the same thing expecting different results what does that make us?