So the Dallas Sanctuary closed. Now what?

I read a few weeks ago, on Fetlife, that the Dallas Sanctuary was closing.

First, I see this is a real opportunity for those that either have a large bondage room or dungeon. But also now where are people going after the Friday munches?

Guess I need to write a bit of a disclaimer at this point.

I’ve never been there.

Always wanted to go, wanted to visit with a client perhaps. But I never did get the whole domination without the sexuality or at least, a sensual touch.

That’s probably one of the main reasons why never did visit. Just didn’t have the time to deal with the sanctuary along with their limitations.

Either way, I’m sorry to see them close and feel that I missed out seeing the iconic place.

Now what?
Austin had it's big sex positive BDSM play space close recently as well as smaller venue so pretty dry here as well
Wow. I only went once, but it was an amazing experience to see all the equipment and to watch people doing what they enjoy. The girl I was with and I did not participate, we were getting the feel for the place and planned to go back and never did. I wish we had. It was a night that I will definately never forget. Really sorry to hear that it closed
Elisabeth shall we put our heads together with a few others?
Well bummer !!
I heard about it from Lindsay Lacey and had been wanting to go. Time of day was the biggest issue with me. When it was open was never a time I could make justifications to be away from home.
Well bummer !!
... Time of day was the biggest issue with me. When it was open was never a time I could make justifications to be away from home. Originally Posted by MILFEater
That was exactly what my issue was.

Went to a few munches. And I've been invited to the Sanctuary several times over the years.

But I'm more of a daytime person. And when I get out at night, it's not to drive across town to a dungeon when I have a rather active 'alternative' life myself.

I have a few friends who have dungeons. And I've been to a few in Chicago.

But yeah. Just never seemed to have the time to take that detour just to watch others do what they're going to do.

Have that t-shirt.

But now, I'm feeling rather wistfully disappointed that I didn't take a looksie at the place before it closed.
Elisabeth shall we put our heads together with a few others? Originally Posted by Karismatic_Kiley
Kiley,

I think that if this had occurred a few years back, I would have had the energy to try to pull something together and be rather gunho on the idea.

If for no other reason than to extend my business model and well, it would be an adventure.

Now? I'm just not sure if I even have the "omppphhh" to do something like that especially if there isn't any monetary gain.

With a little bit of research, guess we could figure out if the Sanctuary made money but obviously, it didn't do that well or it wouldn't be closing. Been hearing for years that the place was dated.

That could have been some of the issues.

Anyway, if you have any ideas, I'm open to hearing them!!! Just not sure if I'm at that point in life where opening (and running) a dungeon would be in my cards.

As I often will write, though, I'm always open to the possibilities!!!

Hugs,
Elisabeth
Kiley,

I think that if this had occurred a few years back, I would have had the energy to try to pull something together and be rather gunho on the idea.

If for no other reason than to extend my business model and well, it would be an adventure.

Now? I'm just not sure if I even have the "omppphhh" to do something like that especially if there isn't any monetary gain.

With a little bit of research, guess we could figure out if the Sanctuary made money but obviously, it didn't do that well or it wouldn't be closing. Been hearing for years that the place was dated.

Anyway, if you have any ideas, I'm open to hearing them!!! Just not sure if I'm at that point in life where opening (and running) a dungeon would be in my cards.

Hugs,
Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Oh I do understand! Seems to have been a fad due to literature and such. I'll do some research and see what I can find out. Put together a plan possibly and send you the thoughts.

Warm wishes Always,
K.K.
Austin had it's big sex positive BDSM play space close recently as well as smaller venue so pretty dry here as well Originally Posted by Thunderous
Austin had a big sex positive BDSM play space? A shame I never knew it existed... Probably wouldn't have been able to get there anyway...
  • Zena
  • 11-02-2017, 03:19 PM
I always wanted to visit ~
The Sanctuary, now Im sad that I didnt go a year or 2 ago. Im hoping something similar opens one day (public or semi public, anyway.) I wish we had something in Waco, Hillsboro, or somewhere in between Waco and Dfw. I know, Im just wishful thinking, there....
Looks like Austin will be getting a new play space in the next couple months... YAY
There is an announcement on Fetlife that a group is having a meeting in early January about a new play space. The organizers seem like they know what they are doing, but haven’t released any details.
hard to make a go of a dungeon as a business. Costs are high, can have legal issues that you have to have sorted out before you open ( large legal bills can be a problem). Unless you own the building, leases an be an issue. So, I would not recommend trying to open one to make a profit. If you can break even, you would be winning, and you would need a great number of volunteers to break even.
I was very active in the BDSM lifestyle in Dallas, spent a lot of time at Sanctuary and enjoyed every minute of it. Sorry to hear that it closed or is closing.
I did take a provider to Sanctuary once, OTC. See, time is the problem, you are going to spend at least a couple of hours in a dungeon even if you do not "paly" (not many providers are into BDSM play where they are the submissive, not because they do not like the activities, just do not have regulars that they know well enough to trust to the point of BDSM Play based on what I was told by my "friend").
So, my advice to providers, you would have to go OTC, with a scheduled session afterward, unless you just want to engage in the activities of the dungeon for fun.
Kiley,

Hugs,
Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Sanctuary was open for over 10yrs. It made money to pay bills and such, but no dungeon outside of NYC or LA is a big profit center.

Sanctuary closed due to permit issues.
I made the second bedroom in my girls place a toy room

Just got a new friend for her so it should be an interesting weekend