What are you reading?

I have told myself 2011 is a year when I need to read more,so I went to Amazon.com and bought a pile of classic books that I should have read a long time ago. Right now I am reading Jane Eyre.

What are you reading?
Just finished Still Missing by Chevy Stevens.

Very unsettling and disturbing. And very well written.

(Not recommended for faint of heart female real estate agents)
It's a shame you already purchased. Maybe you can get a refund yet. If you get a Kindle from Amazon, most of the classics are free downloads.

My brother had a stroke about a month ago, so I'm reading "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor. She was a Ph.D. Neuroanatomist (brain scientist) who had a stroke at age 37. The book is insightful and written so anyone can understand. Highly recommended.

I also like historical fiction so I'm also reading "Dissolution" by C.J. Sansom. It takes place during Cromwell's England.
Andrew, Christopher and Vasili Mitrokhin. The World Was Going Our Way: The KGB And The Battle For The Third World. New York: Perseus Book Group. 2005. pp. xxxvi, 677. Non-fiction. Mitrokhin was an archivist for the KGB, where he copied and spirited sensitive Soviet secrets—secrets pertaining to the U.S.S.R.’s backing and sponsoring terrorist groups and activities during the 1960s, ‘70s and ‘80s—to Britain’s MI6. Mitrokhin collaborated with an author, Andrew, to have the secrets published.

I also like historical fiction so I'm also reading "Dissolution" by C.J. Sansom. It takes place during Cromwell's England. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
That's a good one!....If you're into English historical fiction Charlie, you'd get a big boner looking at my bookshelf! lol
I just recently finished reading a book called "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran, and while I care not for the religious bits in it, the poetry and symbolism he uses are brilliant....

This is one bit I really like...

"Speak to us of Children
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday."
That's a good one!....If you're into English historical fiction Charlie, you'd get a big boner looking at my bookshelf! lol Originally Posted by Valerie
I'm not sure the boner would come from your bookshelf...maybe your rack, especially if it's nude.

"The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran Originally Posted by Valerie
A classic, required reading in college, so I've read it, but decades ago.
I'm not sure the boner would come from your bookshelf...maybe your rack, especially if it's nude.

A classic, required reading in college, so I've read it, but decades ago. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I never knew it was a required read at university....interesting...it was given to me by a client who said he knew I'd like it, and he was right ...But then again I love to read, so as long as it's something that has some substance to it, most likely I'll enjoy!
I just recently finished reading a book called "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran, and while I care not for the religious bits in it, the poetry and symbolism he uses are brilliant....

This is one bit I really like...

"Speak to us of Children
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday." Originally Posted by Valerie
A GF gave me "The Prophet" as a gift some thirty years ago. Gibran numbers among my favorite authors.
A GF gave me "The Prophet" as a gift some thirty years ago. Gibran numbers among my favorite authors. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
It is definitely one of my favourites now as well, it certainly makes you look at things a bit differently, or in ways that you may not have thought about in the past..
I also like historical fiction so I'm also reading "Dissolution" by C.J. Sansom. It takes place during Cromwell's England. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
That's the first of a really good series of historical murder mysteries--I just finished "Heartstone," the latest of them, last week.

Sharon K. Penman has several fine historical novels set anywhere from the twelfth century up to the beginning of the Tudor dynasty--my favorite is "The Sunne in Splendor." It gives a nontraditional take on Richard III (old Bill Shakespeare was writing for Elizabeth I, remember).

But currently I'm working on the recent release of "The Autobiography of Mark Twain." Talk about someone it would be fun to have a cigar and a Scotch with...
When I get away from technical manuals and rules and regulations -

The Essential Dali Lama
Originally Posted by Valerie

OOOh he is beautiful i loved him and still do.

Lovely lovely lovely.

I currently read only german stuff , a sociologist called "Hans Peter Duerr - Obszönität und Gewalt" (Obscenity and Power) its about the process of civilisation (there are several series from the same author) and about sex as a medium for power and violence
for example the female vagina as a method for shock
the phallus as method for threatening
sexual harrassment since medieval ages
Rape in regular days and in war.
To have sex with enemies and rivals as a method of war.

I don^t know if he ever published something in english
I currently read only german stuff , Originally Posted by ninasastri
Gutenberg's book is really expensive.
I just got into Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran. I've always been into historical fiction, but usually my interests were limited to European history. Lately though, I've gotten into Egyptian accounts, and I must say...I'm into broadening my scope a bit now.