What are you reading?

Gutenberg's book is really expensive. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Charly, I missed your charm :-) . How have you been so far? All good?
I would recommend to everyone in this day and age "A Secret Gift" by Ted Gulp, a fascinating true story about the power of some anonymous $5.00 checks mailed to needy families during the depths of the depression and the effect those gifts had on the families that received them, and how powerful "pay it forward" can be...
OOOh he is beautiful i loved him and still do.

Lovely lovely lovely.

I currently read only german stuff , a sociologist called "Hans Peter Duerr - Obszönität und Gewalt" (Obscenity and Power) its about the process of civilisation (there are several series from the same author) and about sex as a medium for power and violence
for example the female vagina as a method for shock
the phallus as method for threatening
sexual harrassment since medieval ages
Rape in regular days and in war.
To have sex with enemies and rivals as a method of war.

I don^t know if he ever published something in english Originally Posted by ninasastri
That sounds really interesting!...Is it published in any other languages?
It's a shame you already purchased. Maybe you can get a refund yet. If you get a Kindle from Amazon, most of the classics are free downloads.

My brother had a stroke about a month ago, so I'm reading "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor. She was a Ph.D. Neuroanatomist (brain scientist) who had a stroke at age 37. The book is insightful and written so anyone can understand. Highly recommended.

I also like historical fiction so I'm also reading "Dissolution" by C.J. Sansom. It takes place during Cromwell's England. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Best wishes for your brother's speedy and complete recovery.

I've been reading "Drawing on the Right Side of Your Brain" off and on for quiet a while, still haven't done any of the exercises, just scribbling off on my own, but the premise is good, it does help you see things differently.
I'm not sure the boner would come from your bookshelf...maybe your rack, especially if it's nude. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Way to keep things classy around here, Charles!
Its a gift.
I suppose I'm wrapping up the winter of my totalitarian discontent. I finally finished William Shirer's, The Rise & Fall of The Third Reich. Took me forever as it was just too big & heavy of a book to lug around whilst traveling. Following that up with Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's, The Gulag Archipelago.

I'm also gradually working my way through, All The Devils Are Here, by Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera. That one is taking so long as I'm unable to read more than a little at a time without getting so angry that I just have to put it down & walk away.

Balancing out all the gloom & doom with a re-read of Neil Stephenson's, Cryptonomicon, which is just a wonderfully funny read in a techo-geeky way.
That sounds really interesting!...Is it published in any other languages? Originally Posted by Valerie
From Wikipedia:
Gibran's best-known work is The Prophet, a book composed of twenty-six poetic essays. The book became especially popular during the 1960s with the American counterculture and New Age movements. Since it was first published in 1923, The Prophet has never been out of print. Having been translated into more than forty[13] languages, it was one of the bestselling books of the twentieth century in the United States.
You should be able to find it in the language you want.
It is definitely one of my favourites now as well, it certainly makes you look at things a bit differently, or in ways that you may not have thought about in the past.. Originally Posted by Valerie
I often given "The Prophet" as a gift to graduating nieces and nephews who I believed would appreciate the poetry.
I suppose I'm wrapping up the winter of my totalitarian discontent. I finally finished William Shirer's, The Rise & Fall of The Third Reich. Took me forever as it was just too big & heavy of a book to lug around whilst traveling. Following that up with Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's, The Gulag Archipelago. Originally Posted by Sisyphus
Classics.
I suppose I'm wrapping up the winter of my totalitarian discontent. I finally finished William Shirer's, The Rise & Fall of The Third Reich. Took me forever as it was just too big & heavy of a book to lug around whilst traveling. Following that up with Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's, The Gulag Archipelago.

I'm also gradually working my way through, All The Devils Are Here, by Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera. That one is taking so long as I'm unable to read more than a little at a time without getting so angry that I just have to put it down & walk away.

Balancing out all the gloom & doom with a re-read of Neil Stephenson's, Cryptonomicon, which is just a wonderfully funny read in a techo-geeky way. Originally Posted by Sisyphus
You must be built like a muscle man after lugging all those tomes around.

The only books that upset me that much were the writings of Edgar Cayce. I read the paperbacks in college, and would literally throw them against the wall with all the force I could muster.
The Bible.
Over and over and over.

Also the books I wrote and published myself of course.
From Wikipedia:

You should be able to find it in the language you want. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
I know you can get the Prophet in different languages, was referring to Nina's post!
I'm also gradually working my way through, All The Devils Are Here, by Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera. That one is taking so long as I'm unable to read more than a little at a time without getting so angry that I just have to put it down & walk away. Originally Posted by Sisyphus
I have similar convulsions, revulsion, when I read anything by Noam Chomsky. You’re angered by the subject; whereas, I’m angered at the author. I can’t believe he is allowed to teach at any American university.
  • WTF
  • 03-02-2011, 10:03 AM
I have similar convulsions, revulsion, when I read anything by Noam Chomsky. You’re angered by the subject; whereas, I’m angered at the author. I can’t believe he is allowed to teach at any American university. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
You must really be pissed at the most recent Supreme Court ruling then! Westboro Church.

Why can't you believe that he is allowed to teach? You better start worrying when he isnt allowed to!

I'm reading M. Gladwell's , "What the Dog Saw...."

I read the first half in Cabo and will finish it here in Lake Tahoe. So maybe the book is not as good as I precieve it to be. haha But I like the hell out of it. Debunks mant preceptions we have about people, places and things.