Watching "The Kennedys" Mini-series...

on DVR. Premiered tonight. On REELZ channel. I doubt they break any new territory, but not bad.

"Women don't expect fidelity. But they don't want infidelity thrown in their face."
- Joe Kennedy Sr., to Jack on his wedding day

(Since PJ doesn't like threads without a question) What do you think of Joe's sentiment?
on DVR. Premiered tonight. On REELZ channel. I doubt they break any new territory, but not bad.

"Women don't expect fidelity. But they don't want infidelity thrown in their face."

(Since PJ doesn't like threads without a question) What do you think of Joe's sentiment? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I have watched that before, perhaps not the exact thing, but it was a documentary of them....I remember that quote as well, the more I watched and learned of that family the more disgusted they made me...Politically speaking, there were a couple things I shared the same sentiment as JFK, but as far as personally, I have little respect for him, his father, and Bobby...They seemed to be very chauvinistic and arrogant,(but then who isn't a bit arrogant in politics?)...

Anyways, as far as my sentiment on the above quote, I think it was cheeky, but in those times a common reality for most...I think REALISTIC women don't expect fidelity, however, if there's one thing I've learned from what I do is that there are a lot of women out there living in la la land thinking that just bc they haven't felt like having sex with their husbands in 10 years that the guys are just ok with that!...

I agree that women don't want their husband's affairs thrown in their faces, that's just obvious, (unless you have an open relationship of some sort etc...)

With all that said, my sentiment towards Joe Kennedy=Cheeky Bastard....(And that sentiment is in no way based solely on the above quote), there are A LOT of reasons I think he's a cheeky bastard!
@Val

Why don't you tell us what you really think?
Who knew Val was an onion?
@Val

Why don't you tell us what you really think? Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
LOL...I could go on for days about those wankers, that was just a small dose

Who knew Val was an onion? Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
This may sound naive...but what exactly does that mean??
Layers. Complications. Many layers to know and ponder.
To contemplate and wonder.
Layers. Complications. Many layers to know and ponder.
. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
To contemplate and wonder. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
And you're just now figuring this out about me?

(Since PJ doesn't like threads without a question) What do you think of Joe's sentiment? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
The hell with the Kennedys. Watch the Borgias on Showtime -- much more interesting and the model for the Kennedy clan.
The hell with the Kennedys. Watch the Borgias on Showtime -- much more interesting and the model for the Kennedy clan. Originally Posted by pjorourke
I forgot to watch it last night...Was it any good?...I'm still having withdrawals from The Tudors...
It was very good. Almost up to The Tudors, but maybe a bit more confusing because of all the characters that they introduced in the first show. The Tudors had the advantage of bringing them in slower (e.g., one wife at a time).
- Joe Kennedy Sr., to Jack on his wedding day Originally Posted by atlcomedy
At one point in the Borgias, the Pope and his #1 mistress (mother of his children) had this very discussion after he bedded a new one. She agreed with Joe.

Coincidentally, public infidelity was also discussed by the Curia (i.e., the Cardinals) as a means for deposing Borgia as Pope.
The hell with the Kennedys. Watch the Borgias on Showtime -- much more interesting and the model for the Kennedy clan. Originally Posted by pjorourke

In the introduction, they say that Mario Puzo based his "Godfather" series after the Borgias....

I watched it.....I liked The Tudors better I thinck....but so far so good....I gotta get me a monkey.....

Sounds like the typical wisdom of a rum runner that raised a bunch of entitled democrats. As much as that family wanted to "do the right thing" they failed to escape the impact of DNA on their personal morality.

I can't remember if it was Shakespeare or the Bible, but the phrase: "sins of the father" comes to mind.

As to the quote, well perhaps it is true. I think most intelligent women know that the average man is simply incapable of fidelity (yes I am aware I am projecting here) and they either decide to be a consummate whore in the bedroom to reduce that potential, or they come to embrace it as long as the man does not make a fool out her and the family.

There is a book called Soiled Doves that had a rather interesting quote about early prostitution in the old west:

"The wives looked the other way, because at last they had reprieve from the darker desires of their men. The fact that these bordellos were in a different part of the town was no mistake. It was as if the social arrangement was made as long as the proper women of the town did not have to pass by the site of their man's sin while taking care of the family errands."
Well, hell - the "Kennedy attitude" was the typical institutionalized male outlook prior to the late 60's - I wonder how the married guys of today, ECCIE members or not, square it up? I'm having a hard time figuring out where there is cause for a news flash.