New Orleans and Corona

I think all are in agreement that Mardi Gras was a powder keg for the virus spread, but.. if the cases are just now exploding, and Fat Tuesday was a month ago.. is that not concerning? I get that the virus may not show symptoms for a few days after you catch it, if any at all, but.. a month? shouldn't these people be over it by now?
  • oeb11
  • 03-27-2020, 10:12 AM
There is a lot we do not know about the transmissibility, infectivity, and incubation period.

China has the first experience - but anything they report must be held in deep distrust.

What is clear in the US - the case mortality rate is less than that of Influenza A.

We need to readjust ourselves, drop the panic, and recognize until meds and vaccines are developed - it is a disease less severe than influenza A.

A good question lots of researchers are asking and trying to answer, CT!
I think all are in agreement that Mardi Gras was a powder keg for the virus spread, but.. if the cases are just now exploding, and Fat Tuesday was a month ago.. is that not concerning? I get that the virus may not show symptoms for a few days after you catch it, if any at all, but.. a month? shouldn't these people be over it by now? Originally Posted by Chung Tran

Not everybody caught the virus on Fat Tuesday but let's say a handful of people did and it took a week for any of them to show symptoms and at the end of that week, each of them gave it to somebody new who took two weeks to show symptoms.

Now throw in a handful of people who showed no symptoms but carried the virus for a month or how ever long it is possible to be a carrier and show no symptoms and they are spreading the virus a month or more after they got it which means new persons are becoming infected months after patient zero caught the virus in New Orleans and those persons who caught it months after Mardi Gras are now spreading it.

New Orleans is a major tourist city and tourist cities are bound to have a bigger problem than none tourist cities.

Granted, all my "speculation" comes from a non expert on the spread of viruses but that is what makes sense to me and as in all things, "I could be wrong".
New Orleans is full of "you know who". And we all noticed how they acted during hurricane Katrina. I don't expect this to be much different. Hope the white people have guns and are ready to defend themselves when they are attacked by a disease much worse than corona virus ...the black plague.
  • oeb11
  • 03-27-2020, 10:30 AM
the time period a person is shedding virus and infective to others after acquiring the Wuhan virus is unclear - and there is likely some variability.

A question we hope can be answered for people with symptomatic disease. As the common viral upper respiratory infection - or common cold - to which family of viruses the Wuhan strain belongs.

Hopefully -one - two weeks after resolution of symptoms - most people should no longer be shedding virus and infective. The person's immune system should have adapted to and overcome the virus.

That time period is a guesstimate on my part - based on behavior of other corona viruses.

TF - i condemn your blatant racism!
If you think {staff edit- ck} are so cool, move to New Orleans. Or at least move to MLK and Malcom x in South Dallas. See how you like it.
There is a lot we do not know about the transmissibility, infectivity, and incubation period.

China has the first experience - but anything they report must be held in deep distrust.

What is clear in the US - the case mortality rate is less than that of Influenza A.

We need to readjust ourselves, drop the panic, and recognize until meds and vaccines are developed - it is a disease less severe than influenza A.

A good question lots of researchers are asking and trying to answer, CT! Originally Posted by oeb11
FYI

There is a Chinese research institute in the city where the virus first showed up. It is within a couple of miles from the first case; it is also know to have had disease breakouts in the past from sloppy isolation procedures. I have a friend of the family who return to that city in January 2020. After undergraduate studies she came to the USA for work at a large US University. After completion of her graduate degree, she had a year of additional studies and USA certifications: a medical related degree - just not MD.

This has been well reported, and discussed by a US Senator who is on a committee concerned with the subject. For some unknown reason, the major news media has mostly ignored this part of the story.

For a full discussion of the suppression of the story about what is happening in China look at the newspaper Epoch Times, they are one of a few covering the Chinese problem. The competitors: The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and the Washington Post; together posted a joint full page discussion of the problem within the last week. When they tried to cover the story from China with a few of their own Chinese speaking reporters, all of their on site reporters were taken into custody and thrown out of the country. In China, Epoch Times with an extensive group of Chinese fluent reporters:, has had their newspaper offices attacked several times in the last few months with the presses and building set on fire each time.

JR
  • oeb11
  • 03-27-2020, 10:38 AM
TF - your racism exposes your ignorance and lack of personal self-esteem.

All of us are human beings - regardless of differences in the envelope.
you are on Ignore!
  • oeb11
  • 03-27-2020, 10:41 AM
FYI

There is a Chinese research institute in the city where the virus first showed up. It is within a couple of miles from the first case; it is also know to have had disease breakouts in the past from sloppy isolation procedures. I have a friend of the family who return to that city in January 2020 after graduate studies graduation with a year of additional studied, a medical related degree - just not MD, from a large US University.

This has been well reported, and discussed by a US Senator who is on the committed concerned with the subject. For some unknown reason, the major news media has ignored this part of the story.

For a full discussion of the suppression of the story about what is happening in China look at the newspaper Epoch Times, they are one of a few covering it in depth. The competitors: The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and the Washington Post posted a joint full page discussion of the problem within the last week. When they tried to cover the story from China with a few of their own Chinese speaking reporters, all of their, on the site, reporters were taken into custody and thrown out of the country. In China, Epoch Times with an extensive group of Chinese fluent reporters, has had their newspaper offices attacked several times in the last few month with the presses and building set on fire.

JR Originally Posted by JRLawrence

Thanks JR - I am aware of the expulsion of American media reporters from China. The above mentioned papers had reporters expelled.

if further accurate details from China can be obtained - it will be intersting.

My take is China and Xi are doing everything possible to cover-up and blame America for originating the Wuhan virus.
seems to me that the great bulk of transmission would have occurred by Fat Tuesday.. sure New Orleans is crowded anyway, Bourbon Street barely ever shuts down. the French Quarter is the proverbial Petri Dish.

if I'm right, shouldn't the "peak" cases have occurred 2 weeks ago? I get that infected people would pass it along, but the stats suggest a 30 day (or longer) cresting, not 2 weeks like we have been told. or could it be that since we didn't know about quarantining for 2 weeks, on Fat Tuesday, New Orleans never had a chance to limit spread?

by the way, this idea of limited "re-opening" of the Country, based on County data, is doomed, IMO.. the "okay" Counties are almost all rural, non-producing areas.. couple that with the near Global shutdown, what makes anyone think our economy could perform worth crap?
  • oeb11
  • 03-27-2020, 11:19 AM
CT-Do you have access to a reference on that stats on peaking and transmisibility?

I would like to see it.

I have a feeling that restarting the world economies will be slow and painful. Unfortunately.
Not everybody caught the virus on Fat Tuesday but let's say a handful of people did and it took a week for any of them to show symptoms and at the end of that week, each of them gave it to somebody new who took two weeks to show symptoms.

Now throw in a handful of people who showed no symptoms but carried the virus for a month or how ever long it is possible to be a carrier and show no symptoms and they are spreading the virus a month or more after they got it which means new persons are becoming infected months after patient zero caught the virus in New Orleans and those persons who caught it months after Mardi Gras are now spreading it.

New Orleans is a major tourist city and tourist cities are bound to have a bigger problem than none tourist cities.

Granted, all my "speculation" comes from a non expert on the spread of viruses but that is what makes sense to me and as in all things, "I could be wrong". Originally Posted by HedonistForever
Lot's of gays in New Orleans and they have very unsanitary practices - such as Yssup Rider sucking on a dick after that dick was stuck in another guys ass - the sick fuck.

That could account for the spread of COVID-19.
It increases exponentially. Say 10 had on Fat Tues February 26. Those infected at that time would show symptoms 5 to 14 days later. So maybe 100 cases in two weeks, then 500 a month later. I’ve read it takes anywhere from 2 days to as long as 27 days to shows signs of disease, with 5 to 6 days most common, and barely any beyond 14 days which is why they are doing the 14 day quarantine for those likely exposed
I think all are in agreement that Mardi Gras was a powder keg for the virus spread, but.. if the cases are just now exploding, and Fat Tuesday was a month ago.. is that not concerning? I get that the virus may not show symptoms for a few days after you catch it, if any at all, but.. a month? shouldn't these people be over it by now? Originally Posted by Chung Tran
Hard to say. My sister had this or something like it in December. They talk about asymptomatic some won't have symptoms or very vague. I just assume we all have it to some extent.
New Orleans is full of "you know who". And we all noticed how they acted during hurricane Katrina. I don't expect this to be much different. Hope the white people have guns and are ready to defend themselves when they are attacked by a disease much worse than corona virus ...the black plague. Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson ATX
I don't think I understand who you know who is..Can you please enlighten us all?

Because it sounded like you just told people to commit hate crimes but if that is untrue please clear it up for me.