Your favourite hotels around the world...

Adlon in Berlin Originally Posted by davec.0121
That's the one on Unter den Linden...near the Gate, no? Good to know....

I walked by it a 100 times whilst working in that neighborhood. We always had to stay at the Westin around the corner (which sucked, btw! Stay away, Mezo. Not one of SPGs better offerings) of the Grand Hyatt in Potsdamer Platz which is a neat hotel (great room showers!) but just has no soul....

The Adlon is a beautiful building from the outside & also has a lot of history associated with hit. When I make it back, this seals where I'm staying.

Thanks, davec!
I stayed at the Cooper Place Hotel in Manhattan last night and we had a fab suite with one of the best views of NYC I have seen yet. Right now I am hanging out in the lobby of the Ace Hotel, 29th and Broadway. Very nice little scene.
We always had to stay at the Westin around the corner (which sucked, btw! Stay away, Mezo. Not one of SPGs better offerings) Originally Posted by Sisyphus
What? You don't like a room so small that you have to move your luggage to get out the door?

SPG in Germany is a general disappointment to me. The Arabellas in Munich are passable, but I expected more out of a culture built on brutal efficiency and precision.

Then again, Germany in general is a disappointment to me. As Stan said: "Dude, what the fuck is wrong with German people?"

Cheers,
Mazo.
La Voile Rouge , Miami Beach
Anytime I have stayed at any Aman resort/hotel, I end up extending my stay. So far, Amanpuri was the best (Phuket, Thailand), but then, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing them all yet. Definitely worth every penny.
What? You don't like a room so small that you have to move your luggage to get out the door?

SPG in Germany is a general disappointment to me. The Arabellas in Munich are passable, but I expected more out of a culture built on brutal efficiency and precision.

Then again, Germany in general is a disappointment to me. As Stan said: "Dude, what the fuck is wrong with German people?"

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
Funny...but small rooms were actually the least of the problems. About half the rooms just flat-out smell...and I mean smell something awful. There's a sewer line running under the property or something. The staff was - at best - disinterested in the needs of the guests. Downright rude - at worst. And don't even get me started on "blood sausage" month at the breakfast buffet....

About the only cool thing from having stayed there was seeing rooms you've personally occupied... or at least partied in...showing up in scenes of the 2nd Bourne movie...

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
In Munich have you tried the VierJahreZeiten (sp?). Better than the Arabella, at least in my opinion. I've stayed in several nice hotels in Germany - not always super-plush like the oriental ones, but each with a distinctive regional charm. And no smells. The staff may seem disinterested by our standards, but the German culture is different in that regard. That's why WalMart had so much trouble. And as for small rooms - that's not just a German phenomenon, but is pretty common throughout Europe and the UK.
And as for small rooms - that's not just a German phenomenon, but is pretty common throughout Europe and the UK. Originally Posted by davec.0121
Or like the Micorsoft "Blue Screen of Death:" "It's a feature!!!"
The staff may seem disinterested by our standards, but the German culture is different in that regard. Originally Posted by davec.0121
Well as long as we're picking on the Germans let's not forget the French.

Mazo's favorite conversation at Charles de Gaulle:

Mazo: "Excuse me. This boarding pass is for a coach seat. I'm in Affaires."

Air France Agent: "I'm sorry sir, but Affaires Class is full."

Mazo: "I'm sorry. You don't understand. I purchased a ticket for Affaires Class. I should have a seat."

Air France Agent: "I do understand sir, but as I said, Affaires class is full today."

Mazo: "Wait, wait. I have an Affaires class ticket. I paid full fare. This isn't an upgrade. How can it be that you don't have a seat for me?"

Air France Agent: "Sir, I understand that you have this ticket but there are no seats in Affaires. I have told you this. There is nothing to be done. You will have to fly in economy."

After repeating this conversation with two more agents and "zee boss" I finally gave up, walked over to British, took the flight through London, and then successfully obtained a full refund plus compensation for denied boarding from Air France.

Say what you will about the US. At least here we have reasons for why things get fucked up. In France things get fucked up for no apparent reason at all.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Any of the Peninsula or Mandarin Oriental properties. Originally Posted by pjorourke
I would add the Jumeriah Group as well...
These deserve to be mentioned:

The San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito
http://www.sanysidroranch.com/

The Inn at Spanish Bay
http://www.pebblebeach.com/accommoda...at-spanish-bay
High Tea here is not to be missed:
http://www.fairmont.com/empress/