Up yours USMC!

Once again you have latched on to a story thats not based on reality.

Below is an exerpt from the guidelines of saluting someone.

"Salutes are not required when

Indoors, except when reporting to an officer or when on duty as a guard.
Addressing a prisoner.
Saluting is obviously inappropriate. In these cases, only greetings are exchanged. (Example: A person carrying articles with both hands, or being otherwise so occupied as to make saluting impracticable, is not required to salute a senior person or return the salute to a subordinate.)
Either the senior or the subordinate is wearing civilian clothes (a salute in this case is not inappropriate, but is not required.)
Officers of equal rank pass each other (a salute in this case is not inappropriate, but it is not required.)"

Reagan was the one that started the trend of returning the salute even though it is against protocol to do so. Even Eisenhower did not return salutes . Reagan was admonished by his own military aide for doing so . Then Reagan asked General Barrow for permission basically so he could
break protocol to serve his agenda.
I agree its not mandatory and not required,
however I like it as do many others.
Tell him if he is going to salute hand must be unencumbered. That is just not right.
  • Old-T
  • 09-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Says the squid.
I agree its not mandatory and not required,
however I like it as do many others. Originally Posted by RALPHEY BOY
Tell him if he is going to salute hand must be unencumbered. That is just not right. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
Not only is it not required it is against protocol. If anyone thinks he should then they should be fine with him doing it under any condition. But I do agree that a cup of coffee or a dog on your shoulder makes it look odd.
  • Old-T
  • 09-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Not only is it not required it is against protocol. If anyone thinks he should then they should be fine with him doing it under any condition. But I do agree that a cup of coffee or a dog on your shoulder makes it look odd. Originally Posted by slingblade
Especially if the cup of coffee is in your right hand.
Is the problem the coffee or the fact they're saluting the president, JDIdiot?

With you, it's impossible to tell.
  • Old-T
  • 09-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Anyone who is against coffee is just evil.
Once again you have latched on to a story thats not based on reality.

Below is an exerpt from the guidelines of saluting someone.

"Salutes are not required when

Indoors, except when reporting to an officer or when on duty as a guard.
Addressing a prisoner.
Saluting is obviously inappropriate. In these cases, only greetings are exchanged. (Example: A person carrying articles with both hands, or being otherwise so occupied as to make saluting impracticable, is not required to salute a senior person or return the salute to a subordinate.)
Either the senior or the subordinate is wearing civilian clothes (a salute in this case is not inappropriate, but is not required.)
Officers of equal rank pass each other (a salute in this case is not inappropriate, but it is not required.)"

Reagan was the one that started the trend of returning the salute even though it is against protocol to do so. Even Eisenhower did not return salutes . Reagan was admonished by his own military aide for doing so . Then Reagan asked General Barrow for permission basically so he could
break protocol to serve his agenda. Originally Posted by slingblade
You're quite obviously wrong, slingblade. Odumbo very conspicuously rendered an inappropriate, slacker's salute. This "person" in this instance was not encumbered by carrying articles in "both hands". Odumbo could have -- SHOULD have -- transferred the cup to his left hand and rendered the appropriate return salute.

BTW, Odumbo was on his way to make a "green-weenie" speech at the U.N.; so, what's with the Styrofoam cup? What a friggin' hypocrite!!!
Glad you agree that Obama's half assed Latte Salute was undignified and against protocol.

From the Marine Officer Candidate Manual:
The salute is “the most important of all military courtesies,”....“In some situations, the salute is not appropriate,” says the manual. “In general, do not salute when… carrying articles with both hands or being otherwise so occupied as to make saluting impractical,” says the manual, titled “Customs and Courtesies.”

Not only is it not required it is against protocol. ... Originally Posted by slingblade
Saturday Night Live season premiere this weekend. Can't wait. lol
You're quite obviously wrong, slingblade. Odumbo very conspicuously rendered an inappropriate, slacker's salute. This "person" in this instance was not encumbered by carrying articles in "both hands". Odumbo could have -- SHOULD have -- transferred the cup to his left hand and rendered the appropriate return salute.

BTW, Odumbo was on his way to make a "green-weenie" speech at the U.N.; so, what's with the Styrofoam cup? What a friggin' hypocrite!!!
Originally Posted by I B Hankering
So now that he was not wrong in particular to salute as he did anymore than saluting in the first place, its all about the coffee cup. You are getting desparate now.

Glad you agree that Obama's half assed Latte Salute was undignified and against protocol.

From the Marine Officer Candidate Manual:
The salute is “the most important of all military courtesies,”....“In some situations, the salute is not appropriate,” says the manual. “In general, do not salute when… carrying articles with both hands or being otherwise so occupied as to make saluting impractical,” says the manual, titled “Customs and Courtesies.”

Originally Posted by Whirlaway
The protocol in this case was no different than every time Reagan, Bush or Clinton saluted . They should not have in the first place. At one time Obama was criticized for not saluting when in fact he was right not to. This is just an example of how petty the "right" has become and how little they really care about protocol.

Here is a question if the next POTUS decides to not salute ever. What would your reaction be? Also has the protocol been changed or did Reagan just decide fuck the protocol?
I thought you characterized Obama's salute as being "against protocol"...now you deflect....

Obama should have not saluted; his half assed "latte salute" was against protocol and unwarranted. Not to salute would have been the better course.

A president should either salute properly, or not not at all.
The President probably got caught in a compromising position. He had the coffee, and probably, through instinct, returned the Salute. I bet the instant he did it, he knew he was wrong.

If he did not, I am sure an Aid will politely inform him of his mistake, so that it does not happen again.

I am hoping that was the senario. However, if he was just being nonchalant, and could give a rats as one way or the other, then shame on him.