Looks like Kansas is a rad more progressive than it's elected leaders thought!

• WTF
  • 08-03-2022, 12:01 PM
Its because they let the people vote and decide the issue. 55% - 61% of Americans are for abortion at least thru the first trimester. In Kansas, surprisingly, its legal up to 22 weeks. Way to go Kansas!
We shall see how this plays out across the US. Unfortunately most states won't bother to put it to the people by referendum.
  • Tiny
  • 08-03-2022, 12:34 PM
Good for them! Yes, if you believe in government closest to the people, there's no better way than a referendum. Let the people decide.
Didn't vote myself but would have voted no. Now if they would put up a reasonable amendment to vote that spelled out exactly what Drs can and cannot do then I might be a yes. It gets complicated in the rare edge cases though. Some states require 3 Drs to sign off on the need for a late term abortion. But in the case of emergency what can they do? Some of the anti abortion zealots say that an ectopic pregnancy must not be aborted. So stupid and Drs hands are tied...
So the pro life people are zealots and the pro abortionist that vandalize church's and other pro life organizations and harass SCOTUS justices and threaten their lives are a virtuous bunch...GOTCHA
So the pro life people are zealots and the pro abortionist that vandalize church's and other pro life organizations, harass SCTOUS members and threaten their lives are a virtuous bunch...GOTCHA Originally Posted by bb1961
Forgot to mention the bombing and arson of abortion clinics and planned parenthood. They too have had vandals and picketers. Drive by ANY abortion clinic and you WILL see people protesting peoples right to choose. Some churches maintain a presence at these clinics during hours of operation. Pro lifers are the radical bunch. The pro choice are no where near as radical.

This coming from a Republican!!!!!!!!!!!
So the pro life people are zealots and the pro abortionist that vandalize church's and other pro life organizations and harass SCOTUS justices and threaten their lives are a virtuous bunch...GOTCHA Originally Posted by bb1961
Pro lifers might have a few offices but they don't have hundreds of clinics where people work every day and have public access. That makes them very easy targets.

Comparing pro life violence is like idiots comparing the Jan 6 dumbfuckery to the BLM riots. Not even in the same ballpark for comparison. At least BLM had something legitimate to riot about.
  • Tiny
  • 08-03-2022, 03:26 PM
Forgot to mention the bombing and arson of abortion clinics and planned parenthood. They too have had vandals and picketers. Drive by ANY abortion clinic and you WILL see people protesting peoples right to choose. Some churches maintain a presence at these clinics during hours of operation. Pro lifers are the radical bunch. The pro choice are no where near as radical.

This coming from a Republican!!!!!!!!!!! Originally Posted by winn dixie
As you know from my COVID posts, I'm a paranoid hypochondriac. Years ago I had a condom failure with a particularly skanky hottie, so trotted off to Planned Parenthood in my dockers and dress shirt to get tested.

There were three people in the parking lot protesting. One of them asked me if I was a doctor. Then they all piped up with "You're an abortionist, aren't you!" Then in sequence they all said "Jesus loves you," and something about killing babies. I didn't want to disappoint them, that I was just there to see if I had the clap, so I tried to look sullen and mad and walked on in. I left Planned Parenthood a $200 donation afterwards.

And this, dear readers, is the first chapter in how I became a father!
20% of Kansas' population voted against the amendment.

The dumbass politicians that profferred the amendment wrote it such that it was offensive, then placed it on the primary ballot thinking that they would hide it from the democrats.

This would have worked, except overturning Roe showed up. This pissed off the progressives, so essentially all of them showed up at the ballot box. Most no-progressives didn't vote. I was shocked about that.

This issue will be voted on again in the near future. The concept that the state constitution guarantees the right to kill a fetus is interesting, but unsupported.

The results will be different.
  • WTF
  • 08-03-2022, 05:16 PM
So the pro life people are zealots and the pro abortionist that vandalize church's and other pro life organizations and harass SCOTUS justices and threaten their lives are a virtuous bunch...GOTCHA Originally Posted by bb1961
You do understand that the SC ruled many moons ago that pro life could basically harass women going into a clinic for an abortion?

So cry me a river...
61% of America thinks some form of abortion should be legal and not totally banned. Most agree that in 2nd and 3rd trimester that the life of the mother has to be in danger. KS is 22 weeks and it should be around 15 weeks max, probably more like 12-13 weeks. Unless they are trying to get pregnant some women don't know for sure until 6-8 weeks in.

The dumbass politicians that profferred the amendment wrote it such that it was offensive, then placed it on the primary ballot thinking that they would hide it from the democrats.

This would have worked, except overturning Roe showed up. This pissed off the progressives, so essentially all of them showed up at the ballot box. Most no-progressives didn't vote. I was shocked about that.

This issue will be voted on again in the near future. The concept that the state constitution guarantees the right to kill a fetus is interesting, but unsupported.

The results will be different. Originally Posted by kehaar
  • WTF
  • 08-03-2022, 05:21 PM

The results will be different. Originally Posted by kehaar
You do realize that the majority of Americans support abortion...at least in the first trimester.

Which is about the same % of how the vote totals turned out.

If they put it up for a vote in each state....I doubt 3 states in total would outlaw it completely.
We shall see how this plays out across the US. Unfortunately most states won't bother to put it to the people by referendum. Originally Posted by 1blackman1

I would prefer the referendum route myself and I'm happy that Kansas did what every state should do when presented with such an important decision, let the people decide.

I know it isn't quite the same but most if not all states in Nov. gets to replace their state House and Senate and Congressional House and maybe even Senate and Gov.

In Florida, I will get the chance to vote for Governor, one Congressional Senate seat and House and Senate districts. So that's a lot of people who the people of Florida, ( if paying any attention at all and we know most aren't ), can decide how the person they are voting for, stands on abortion. It's not that people still can't decide, it's just a more cumbersome process than referendum.

I hope all majorities get what they ask for, even the voters who will keep putting these same people in office that make your everyday life a living hell with inflation and crime. You get what you vote for.

And the best news of all, you may choose to live in the state that most represents your values if that is what you value most in your life.

What a great fucking country we live in. We may get back to it in a small way come Nov.
Pro lifers might have a few offices but they don't have hundreds of clinics where people work every day and have public access. That makes them very easy targets.

Comparing pro life violence is like idiots comparing the Jan 6 dumbfuckery to the BLM riots. Not even in the same ballpark for comparison. At least BLM had something legitimate to riot about. Originally Posted by royamcr

I mean I know that's what you believe, I just didn't think you would say it out loud, that there are "legitimate reasons" for a mob to burn down a business, shoot an off duty cop dead trying to protect a friends business that couldn't do it himself, and injure dozens to hundreds of other people because they were mad at what they "perceived" as an "injustice". Silly me, I thought a reasonable person would say there is never a legitimate reason for doing that ( read Jan.6th ) and if that person feels that way about Jan. 6th but doesn't feel that way about the "summer of riots", well, that pretty much tells me everything I needed to know about such a person.

"Legitimate reason" to riot, no sir! It's legitimate to protest peacefully "within the law" which the people outside the SC Justices house are breaking, but there is NEVER a reason to riot and destroy one's own country, no sir!