A cautionary tale ...

• jakez
  • 01-22-2018, 12:46 AM
I've held off on writing this because I felt stupid, but I feel I should share for the good of the community. I was in Shanghai, in the Xin Tian Di bar and restaurant area, in December and was approached by a woman speaking good english, offering a massage and full service. I tried to blow her off, but she was persistent, and I eventually followed her to a place. Got inside, led to a small room at the top of some stairs, and got what I expected (which was pretty good), but then it went south. Four or five guys came into the room and basically shook me down for 19000 RMB (about $3000 USD). This was after a "discount" of 6000 rmb for being a decent guy, I think. It was clear that I wasn't getting out of there without some sort of pain.

The crazy thing is that I was not ignorant of this scam. I've followed SNG (now defunct) closely, I'm reasonably experiencend, it's been well explained, I'd been warned. My instincts were sending up flares, but when in pursuit of pleasure our head often doesn't stay in control.

The moral ... NEVER follow somebody into a back-alley establishment, no matter how nice, sincere, helpful they are. I felt lucky to get out of there with only that money gone, and not any damage to my body I'd have to explain. Be warned, be safe, be smarter than me.
Sucks dude, but yes, there is a reason they call it being Shanghai'd
Watch anyone that approaches you that wants to practice English. Another scam where they lead you to a bar/coffee shop and shanghai you.

If it is a hot girl tell her she can practice Engwish in your room.
Oh no. That is awful for you. Everyone please be careful in Shanghai. When u goto the bar to get girl. Watch if a man follow you leave with girl. Last year I offer a sexy bar girl tour. But now I stop. Too much trouble with that.

Kisses, Mimi
I would take a tour with you anywhere
Same thing happen to me about a year ago. Only I was walking on Yandang rd and a man kept talking about watches and ect.. he would not leave. So I humored him and went to a "shop" got a 20 "rolex" and went back to street. But he followed me.. then asked if I wanted girl. I knew better, but he was super nice and everything went good in fist spot. So I said fuck it..i went to a typical massage parlor like I have visited in Singapore, Cancun, Thailand and other places.. so I didn't feel very worried. After the "session" 6 Chinamen in black suits told me 50000rnb. After 20 min of negotiations I left 300 USD lighter.. lessons of life I suppose.. But it still makes for a good adventure, and I can always say I got Shanghaied in Shanghai.