Domino's founder Tom Monaghan granted temporary injunction against Obamacare contraception mandate

I'm not opposed to contraception, and even though I'm opposed to abortion, I don't think it is my place to tell someone else what she should do with her own body. I'm also not a religionist. However, neither should the government force employers to offer benefits they don't want to. Employers offer the benefits they have determined will help them obtain and retain the best employees for their company. it's not the government's business.

Kudos to this judge!

Here's the article:

A federal judge granted Ann Arbor businessman Tom Monaghan’s request for a temporary restraining order against the Obamacare requirement to provide coverage for contraception and other controversial services.

Monaghan, owner of property management company Domino's Farms Corp. and founder of Ann Arbor-based Domino’s Pizza, sued the federal government over the Affordable Care Act’s mandate that employers provide insurance coverage for contraception, sterilization and other procedures. He is a Roman Catholic and contends the mandate violates the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

The mandate takes effect on Jan. 1, 2013.

He sold most of his controlling stake in Domino's Pizza in 1998 to private equity company Bain Capital, according to the Associated Press.

Federal District Court Judge Lawrence Zatkoff of the Eastern District of Michigan filed the opinion and order on Sunday.

Monaghan demonstrated that following the mandate “will substantially burden his exercise of religion,” Zatkoff wrote.

Zatkoff said the government failed to satisfy its burden of showing that its actions were narrowly tailored to serve a compelling interest, and that Monaghan established at least some likelihood of succeeding on the merits of the religious freedom claim.

Another Michigan businessman has not been successful in a similar lawsuit.

John Kennedy, president and CEO of Autocam and Autocam Medical in Grand Rapids, was not granted an injunction, according to National Review Online, a conservative news and commentary site.

More here: http://www.mlive.com/business/index....onaghan_g.html