Now we are in Uganda

It was announced today that President Obama has authorized 100 special ops troups to go to Uganda to help (advise, defend themselves if under attack) the government of Uganda against rebel forces. In June he authorized 45 million dollars worth of military equipment to be sent to Uganda.
A journalist recently described an interview she had with a Navy SEAL.

After discussing all the countries he had been sent to, she asked if it was a requirement for SEALs to learn several different languages?

His reply:

"Oh no ma'am, we don't go there to talk."
"Oh no ma'am, we don't go there to talk." Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Apparently, she actually believed that about "winning the hearts and minds" in kind of a "crowd-group-hug-bonding-therapy-session."

We need to be in Iran; with cruise missles and overhead drones stalking the Revoluitionary Guard leadership 24/7.
Didn't we do this back in the late 50's in a small South East Asian Country?

Headline from the year 2018. "President Marco Rubio pledges to have the troop levels in Uganda down to 200,000 by the end of his term".

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
"Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past."

George Santayana

What, pray tell, is our national interest in Uganda? I guess we sort of have a humanitarian interest and perhaps a mild security interest in seeing that it, like any country, just doesn't completely go to shit. But I don't think it would be very high on my list of worried every day if I woke up at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
  • WTF
  • 10-14-2011, 07:42 PM
. In June he authorized 45 million dollars worth of military equipment to be sent to Uganda. Originally Posted by Jdriller
That is WTF we are doing there....
Selling the military equipment is not a problem for me. That's just a sop for defense contractors and basic pump priming stimulus spending. It's not like they're going to invade us with the stuff. It's the advisers that worry me.
Too many of these fucks are too damned young to know where this crap can lead.
I worry about the troops. Are they authorized to defend themselves by any means necessary or are they going there to be living pinatas? We do have the power to stop a lot of this despotism but only if our soldiers are freed up to do what is necessary.
I heard some talk about this story on the corporate whore media today. Imagine that, it's right next door to Kenya! Hmm......
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/20...omalia-062611/

"Pentagon sending $45M in equipment to Somalia

By Lolita C. Baldor - The Associated Press
Posted : Sunday Jun 26, 2011 14:45:32 EDT

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is sending nearly $45 million in military equipment, including four small drones, to Uganda and Burundi to help battle the escalating terror threat in Somalia.

The latest aid, laid out in documents obtained by The Associated Press, comes as attacks intensify in Somalia against the al-Qaida-linked terror group al-Shabab, including an airstrike late Thursday that hit a militant convoy, killing a number of foreign fighters, according to officials there.

U.S. officials, including incoming Pentagon chief Leon Panetta, have warned that the threat from al-Shabab is growing, and the group is developing stronger ties with the Yemen-based al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula. Panetta told lawmakers earlier this month that as the core al-Qaida leadership in Pakistan undergoes leadership changes, with the killing of Osama bin Laden, the U.S. needs to make sure that the group does not relocate to Somalia.

The Pentagon plan is aimed at helping to build the counterterrorism of Uganda and Burundi, two African Union nations that have sent about 9,000 peacekeeping forces to Somalia. The military aid includes four small, shoulder-launched Raven drones, body armor, night-vision gear, communications and heavy construction equipment, generators and surveillance systems. Training is also provided with the equipment.

In addition, the Pentagon will send $4.4 million in communications and engineering equipment to Uganda."

______________________________ ______________________________ _
End of quoted material

As for the "military industrial complex" .... that is pocket change .... on surplus. For the anti-military groupies on here, look at like a jobs program from a stimulus package. Rather than passing out "Lone Star" cards or union jobs to build a bankrupt solar panel company, clean up some dusty stuff off the shelves and have a garage sale to raise some bucks, even if it is only $45 million. Besides if you want to dismantle our military what are you going to do with the "stuff" ... sell it for domestic hunting equipment?

As for the motivation, looks like an "end around" through Uganda. .... and for you "old grunts" ....through South Vietnam to Cambodia and Laos.

As for SE Asia experience, when JFK was sworn "we" had roughly 8,000 on the ground and were flying almost daily (weather permitting) sorties into Cambodia and Loas .... JFK was not "briefed" until after he was sworn.

If we can clean up some in Somalia the disruption in Somalia will be worthwhile.
Too many of these fucks are too damned young to know where this crap can lead. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Yes, I agree.

http://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/20...ugh-mogadishu/

Especially when we do it half-assed with no balls.
I just watched 'Black Hawk Down' yesterday on cable TV a couple of hours before hearing this news. I don't have any close friends in the M-I-C but my first thought was, if these troops get in trouble, how far away is help? Is there a country close by where a UN peacekeeping force is present?
Is there a country close by where a UN peacekeeping force is present? Originally Posted by trynagetlaid
There will be unless the "bring home the troops" ladies win the discussion.

FYI: U.S. service personnel, et al, are there to help the U.N. That is what "we" do ..... help the U.N.