Interestin Article on Herman Cain

An different take on whether the Southern Republican redneck base can stomach Herman Cain:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-a...b_1013530.html

A very interesting take. I'm not sure I agree with it. I think this theory may work for some, but I still think that most will it too distasteful to vote for any black man, even one that they see as "knowing his place," as the article articulates it. But we'll see.

Meantime, Cain will be the main target in the Nevada Debate this week. It will be interesting to read how he does when he's the one in the cross hairs. My gut feel is that Cain has nowhere to go but down from here, unfortunately for the Democrats.
  • MrGiz
  • 10-18-2011, 08:44 PM
In short... let's continue to use "racist" issues to mask "real" issues.... BRILLIANT!!

Huffingtonpost.... what a fine resource!!
Is it hard to read with your sheet on TTH?
An different take on whether the Southern Republican redneck base can stomach Herman Cain:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-a...b_1013530.html

A very interesting take. I'm not sure I agree with it. I think this theory may work for some, but I still think that most will it too distasteful to vote for any black man, even one that they see as "knowing his place," as the article articulates it. But we'll see.

Meantime, Cain will be the main target in the Nevada Debate this week. It will be interesting to read how he does when he's the one in the cross hairs. My gut feel is that Cain has nowhere to go but down from here, unfortunately for the Democrats. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
A very interesting take. Some things to agree with and some not to agree with. Something the article alluded to but doesn’t mention is the fact that the party names can be confusing. Some on this board are always quick to point out that the southern democrats were the driving force behind the KKK, Jim Crow, etc. It’s always “democrats”, never the “left” or “liberals”. That’s because the southern democrats were as conservative and rightwing as a person can get.
In short... let's continue to use "racist" issues to mask "real" issues.... BRILLIANT!!

Huffingtonpost.... what a fine resource!! Originally Posted by MrGiz
Brilliant?

It looks like "real" issues will continue to mask "racist" issues too.

Opinion is opinion whether it's on Fox and friends or the Huffington Post.

(You gotta love how those absolute-value statements go either way. And how the answer is always in the middle somewhere)
You can't ignore race when the dominant strategy for the Republicans in the South since at least 1972 has been to appeal to the racists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
The Huffington Post and Wikipedia. Great research. At least the Wikipedia article comes with a disclaimer that it might be slanted.

How you manage to run a successful business is beyond me.
  • MrGiz
  • 10-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Brilliant?. . . .
Opinion is opinion whether it's on Fox and friends or the Huffington Post. . . . Originally Posted by Munchmasterman
Biased opinion is the same; either way... quite silly!!

What I continue to find irresponsible, is the "party affiliation" generally attributed to "racist" positioning issues!* SHAMELESS !!
You can't ignore race when the dominant strategy for the Republicans in the South since at least 1972 has been to appeal to the racists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy Originally Posted by TexTushHog
OK, then go read Kevin Phillips book The Emerging Republican Majority. Published in 1970 or so. The strategy is explicitly laid out there. There are a number of first party sources on the issue including most interestingly a series of interviews with Lee Atwater while he was terminally ill. There is also a very revealing book written by Alexander Lamis called The Two Party South where Atwater is unusually candid about racist "dog whistles" and "coded" appeals to racism in Republican messaging. His quotes there were before his final illness, as I recall.

Here's some of the meat of the last quote from Atwater reprinted in the NYT:

Staff edit, CC

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...53C1A9639C8B63
Linking to it is fine

That's how the Republicans won over middle and lower class male white voters in the South, plain and simple. Look at Reagan. He announced "I believe in State's rights." But where did he say it? Philadelphia, Mississippi. That was no accident. That's where three Freedom riders were murdered. The significance of that sort of symbolism isn't lost on the racists. It's signaling that "I'm one of you. You can count on me."

And after all of that, you expect these rednecks to embrace Herman Cain?

Happier with the sourcing now?
The soft bigotry of low expectations. Both parties are guilty. Haven't read Phillips' book, but yes, this is better than Wiki or Huffy.
You guys are going to have to dance around this subject very carefully. Just so you are all aware of the the board rules and the fact that this is one that is not immune from those rules. Lets stay away from the "derogatory racial remarks" and keep with general concept. We'll figure out exactly where that line is as we go. TTH quotes above were over it but a link somewhere else is OK.

#2 - Derogatory racial remarks are simply unacceptable, period. Disrespect another's ethnic background and you will most certainly regret it.
  • MrGiz
  • 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM
It is fairly obvious, that racist "content" can be found wherever it is "sought"!
Racial controversy is the "intent " of many!

I, for one... am not impressed... or influenced!

F'ing SHAMELESS !!
You guys are going to have to dance around this subject very carefully. Just so you are all aware of the the board rules and the fact that this is one that is not immune from those rules. Lets stay away from the "derogatory racial remarks" and keep with general concept. We'll figure out exactly where that line is as we go. TTH quotes above were over it but a link somewhere else is OK. Originally Posted by Chica Chaser
How about banning race baiting?

That's all TTH is doing.
  • WTF
  • 10-19-2011, 09:25 PM
All TTH is saying is that you rednecks ain't voting for Cain!

I think TTH is wrong... as long as Cain toes the Uncle Tom line, you reddies might just hold your nose and vote his ass in!

Be Blazing Saddles all over again!

Jim: [consoling Bart] What did you expect? "Welcome, sonny"? "Make yourself at home"? "Marry my daughter"? You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.
Cain an Uncle Tom. Jesus, let a black guy drift from the liberal plantation, and he's an Uncle Tom. You clowns are going to make me end up supporting the guy, because your opposition to him is so gutless.