Another perspective of the Dallas Cowboys

I received a blistering email (not hobby related) from a long time acquaintance who just so happens to be a huge Dallas Cowboy fan from Houston. He was responding to another email in which I clearly stated the pleasure I received yesterday when his beloved 'Boyz got their "clocks cleaned."

He wanted to know why I disliked the Cowboys so much. I told him that I have lived in the Houston area most of my life. Back in 1960 I liked both the Oilers and the Cowboys. Shortly after I returned from a 1 year overseas tour in 1971, I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a couple of tickets to the Cowboys first Super Bowl win in New Orleans. I was proud to go to NO and pull for a Texans team to beat Miami, which they did.

But I was first and foremost an Oilers fan because I always will pull for the home town team against any opponent. Once I got out of the Army, I moved back to the Houston area and have lived here ever since. Soon thereafter, I started hearing other Houstonians ragging on the Oilers and bragging on the Cowboys. I asked why they couldn't be a fan of both teams. They said they couldn't be an Oilers fan because they were a bunch of losers.

Truth of the matter was that I liked the Cowboys but not nearly as much as my hometown Oilers. I suppose the final straw was when the current Cowboys owner bought the team and immediately fired a Hall of Fame coach and his staff. Ever since that point in time I have pulled for two teams to win each week. The local team, whether it be the Oilers or the Texans and whichever team happens to be playing the Cowboys.

I still have a favorite team from the NFC but it has not been the Cowboys since the late 80's. While I would have preferred my #2 team, the Nawlins' Saints, to be the ones to knock the Cowboys out of the playoffs next week, I certainly enjoyed the 'Boyz season ending flush yesterday at the hands of the Vikings.

Who Dats to the Super Bowl!