subs

Had a sub at subway last week and got sick on it. It was the first time for that at a subway for me. The subways in rochester have never been as good as one I use to go to alot in Utica. I use to have a house in Raq. lake and would stop for gas and food on the way. Here subway is just a easy stop. The best subway I ever have been to was in the subway at NYC, penn station.

I love the philly steak on longpond near ridgeway. Not as good as it was, but still very good.

Where are the best subs and philly shops in upstate ny?
  • nyguy
  • 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Best Steak Sub in town:" Pino's Deli" 2590 West Ridge Road in the plaza just west of Buckmans. Offshore , I'm surprised you don't know about this one, right in your home town. I always get it with peppers, onions, mushrooms. provolone & meat hot sauce. 2nd place would be the "Cadillac Steak" at Carmines. Its a close 2nd but I give the edge to Pino's, You get a lot more quantity for your money, they really pile the the steak on & they fry in a pan with butter not on the grill. I'd give Pino's hot sauce an edge also. Both places bake their own bread so that's a push on that.
One more thing, if you want to pick up some cold cuts to take home Pino's is about 1/2 the price of Wegmans & all top quality. I always get my potato salad & Macaroni salad there also, homemade, great! In fact I travel all the way across town to shop there.
http://www.pinosdeli.com/id28.html
I used to live in Philly a long time ago and enjoyed the "real" thing, but I have not had much luck in WNY with Philly cheese steak.
  • nyguy
  • 03-19-2010, 01:31 PM
I used to live in Philly a long time ago and enjoyed the "real" thing, but I have not had much luck in WNY with Philly cheese steak. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Jack, next time you're in Rochester getting serviced by one of our lovely ladies. lol. Do yourself a favor & stop by Pino's. I've had "the real thing " in Philly also, I don't think you'll be disappointed, everyone I've tipped off about it has raved about it.
Jack, next time you're in Rochester getting serviced by one of our lovely ladies. lol. Do yourself a favor & stop by Pino's. Originally Posted by nyguy
Thanks. Sounds like the thing to do the next time I visit a particular fair lady in Greece.
The place on LongPond use to be great. Change hands still great. But I think it must have changed hands again and not so great. The parking lot use to be work to find a place to park. Now its easy to park and no line inside. But the food some how is not as good as once was. And you never see the town trucks there any more at lunch time. 6 and 10 wheel dumps fill a parking lot up fast. Pintos I can get the philly steak or a sub. I will have to give it a try. I just have to keep form driving by and go to PUJA.
  • nyguy
  • 03-19-2010, 02:39 PM
The place on LongPond use to be great. Change hands still great. But I think it must have changed hands again and not so great. The parking lot use to be work to find a place to park. Pintos I can get the philly steak or a sub. I will have to give it a try. I just have to keep form driving by and go to PUJA. Originally Posted by offshoredrilling
Geez I wouldn't eat anything from Puja Go back to Pino's. lol. I recommend the steak over their cold subs the steak is their feature item that they are famous for. You'd be making a mistake if you went there & didn't get the steak.
ok pintos philly steak so I bet the chickin would also be good. Cold sub in greece and in the city that I use to go are all gone. So I am still looking for a sub after I try the hot food at pintos.

Jack Im getting pm and emails about how the food threads are changing who some will see. Looking for what food is near by. Now I know why hunter sometimes works out of kellys, Highland diner. And I was thinking it was closer to downtown. If any of the girls have to move incall, Its on are heads. LOL

Guys remember some of the providers have food between SOG.
Looking for what food is near by. Originally Posted by offshoredrilling
Come to think of it, I always look forward to having noodles at K.C. Tea and Noodles on Goodman Ave after seeing Dani.
  • nyguy
  • 03-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Yes rumor has it that Offshore has been known to bring a lady a hot dog or garbage plate on his visits. Known as gaining extra points. lol.
  • Tiger
  • 03-19-2010, 03:51 PM
I like the Subs at Martusciello Bakery on Lyell Ave (across from the Wegmans)good bread, lots of meat. Dibella's is also not to bad- I used to go to the one on Ridgeway near Philly Steakout. It has been a few years, but Colombini's in Chili Center used to have a decent sub (Am. assorted from there).
When tim is not cooking there is nothing wrong stopping at steve's or nick's, getting a plate to go before going to the AC. They never look to see how much plasticware you take. Ladys get hungry to. And I can think of nothing better when leaving Hanna's go to jays diner for the chicken shavoky(spelling). But Hanna Dos feed you well in more ways than one. Feeding them dos get you points. But I have found you get more points for fixing the flat tire on her car. But dinner is more fun.

One likes AppleBees. The AppleBees in Alanta GA are great. But the ones here the food is only alright. I am sure she wants the rum&coke and the food is a extra. There is more on the menu in GA and not on the menu in NY. Or maybe it was just the GA peaches that serve you make the food seem better.

Now I have to check, Dos jay's have wine? Many in rochester on this board like wine.

martusciello is good(better than most). Dibellas is all right. Dibellas is a lot better than subway. But still not worth going out of your way for. But if driving by and hungry it is good.
My travel take Me to New England three times a week and over the last three years I have been going to the same place every trip. there is a subway close to where I spend the night up there that I used to go to quite often until that night. The dreaded night that I wish I had never gone once. prior to that night I had noticed an occasional fruit fly flying around while I was eating. On My last visit I found the source. it was in the vegetables that night they where swarming so half way through making My sub I told the girl never mind and started heading for the door. The women that was making My sub was the owner and she shouted for me to return and pay for the sub. When I refused I told her that I was going to call the board of health and she replied that she would give Me there number and her brother in law was the head honcho. I kept walking and she said she would call the police I asked her if she needed the number and to ask for My brother in law He is the chief.
NYGUY

you make a good entertainment director
  • nyguy
  • 03-20-2010, 04:27 AM
I'm always amazed when people write in to one of these polls & recommend a national chain. I went to Subway once many years ago when they opened their 1st store here in Rochester, I haven't been back since. Its a turn off for me when they start weighing out each slice of meat & take a slice off if they have too much on there. Give me a mom & pop operation where they just pile the meat on till its falling off. I'll take a little mom & pop store over a national chain every time. They are there in every community you have to hunt them out its just a little more work finding them.